SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Lee Child Says Tom Cruise Is Too Tiny to Keep Playing Jack Reacher
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Child Says Tom Cruise Is Too Tiny to Keep Playing Jack Reacher Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

“Cruise, for all his talent, didn’t have that physicality,” Reacher author Lee Child told the BBC.

No shit, Sherlock. You're just figuring this out now??

Having read several of the Jack Reacher books, it was clear that his size was a significant factor in the character's persona. I suspect Child had a tingle go up his leg when Cruise agreed to do the Jack Reacher films, but is now tired of getting grief from his readers.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In his day, Clint Walker would have made a good Jack Reacher. He was a rather imposing individual at 6'6".

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
... so to us, Tom Cruise IS Jack Reacher.

Yup.

I've read all the novels and I don't give two shits that Tom Cruise isn't as imposing as the character in the novel. He did very well in the role.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yes, reacher is supposed to be big but he is also supposed to be old and worn... this is why so often the big bad guys underestimate him. He is also 'homeless' and a wanderer who does not give a sh#t about having stuff... does not even wear a watch and has only one set of close.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest Clint Walker until I read through the thread and saw he had already been suggested. He would have been great.

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I've read all the novels and I don't give two shits that Tom Cruise isn't as imposing as the character in the novel. He did very well in the role.

And I agree. Given his size difference, he did capture the essence of Reacher's personality. The real problem with making a movie from a Reacher book is that, in the books, a lot of the action/plot occurs inside Reacher's head, and is narrated as his thoughts.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
How many times have we seen a movie based on a novel and walked out of it mumbling that it was noting like the book? Well, this is a typical example.

If Lee Child thought Cruise was too small, he shouldn't have went with him in the first place.

My personal solution is to forego the movies and just read the books.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Producers are always going to insist on an actor that can put butts in seats. That's why Cruise was selected.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
The real problem with making a movie from a Reacher book is that, in the books, a lot of the action/plot occurs inside Reacher's head, and is narrated as his thoughts.

This is one of my major gripes about Game of Thrones. A lot of exposition shown in the novels was left out of the television series.

As for the way Reacher thinks, they could have gone the way the director of the Sherlock Holmes movies went, with how Holmes envisioned fights just before they happened.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are many of us (myself included) that have seen the movie but haven't read the books. For us, Tom Cruise did the role just fine since we went into the theatre without any expectations of what the character should be.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
I had to look up who Ray Stevenson was.

I hope they are looking for someone that fits the profile of who Jack Reacher is. I hope they go away from pretty boy, to older and little rugged and weathered.

Maybe Liev Schreiber, he is only 6'3 but that little bit of difference no one would notice.

I like him in the role of Ray Donovan

6’3” in Hollywood looks like 6’9” against every other actor in the scene. I’m watching a show with his brother, Pablo who’s listed at 6’5” on IMDb, and he towers over every other actor he shares a scene with.

I’ve never seen the movies despite liking the handful of the books I’ve read. I just never bought into Cruise.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a huge Reacher fan I complained from day 1 that Cruise was to play him for all the reasons that have been posted. However, if you never read any of the books Cruise played the character well and the first movie was very good. I blamed Child partially for the second movie because I think he wrote the book with Cruise in mind and it was less of a "Reacher" book.

Ray Stevenson would not be a bad choice. I think the Rock's laid back humor would also stand up well. My choice originally was Gerard Butler who I think was close to the size and brings the attitude needed.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, huge and muscular. He won't attact any attention or stand out as on OP.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also would like to see Stephenson in the part. He has a certain authority on screen. The Punisher movie for him was just bad and the bad guys were kind of silly but he played a good role.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Thor guy can make it work. Isn't JR blonde, tall, racked, and imposing.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I am now getting ready for more disappointment. I have heard that Amazon will do a Reacher series. My son jokingly said maybe they will cast Peter Dinklage.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Another guy who never read the books but enjoyed the movies. We don't care how big Reacher is "supposed" to be. Cruise is Reacher and he did a good job, at least in my opinion.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Amazon Prime has cast Alan Ritchson to play Reacher in an upcoming series. He’s 6’4 and about 230#, pretty close to Lee Child’s description of the character.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm sure someone will complain that he's one inch shorter and twenty pounds lighter than Reacher...

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If they can make a regular size person look small.. Hobbits in both "The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit".. then why can't they make Tom Cruise look any size they need?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post