New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rakka Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Where is this "lefty" label for Blomkamp coming from? I've read (admittedly, in the past) several interviews about both District 9 and Elysium. For example.....

https://www.theglobeandmail.co...phor/article4356194/

Q: In District 9 , aliens land in Johannesburg and are forced to live in a filthy shanty town, segregated from human society. Can we get the giant apartheid metaphor out of the way first?

A: It isn't necessarily just a metaphor for apartheid. It's not. … What it is meant to be is a whole bunch of topics that had an effect on me when I was living there. Topics I became more interested in once I left.

Q: Such as?

A: Just everything that goes on in that country - xenophobia, the collapse of Zimbabwe and the flood of illegal immigrants into South Africa, and then how you have impoverished black South Africans in conflict with the immigrants. All that amounts to a very unusual situation. And South Africa is kind of the birthplace of the modern private military contractor … so there's a lot of other things besides apartheid that I wanted to touch on, such as segregation in general.

I recall similar statements about Elysium.

Regardless of his politics, he makes entertaining movies.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post