SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Great British Baking Show
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Great British Baking Show Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Anyone watch this? My wife and I just discovered this on Netflix while I was home taking care of her right after our baby was born.

Known in the UK as The Great British Bake-Off (Stupidly can't be called that in the US because Pillsbury has COPYRIGHTED the phrase "bake-off"!) it's a baking competition show that pits 12 British home bakers against each other in a giant tent and each week one is eliminated. There have been a couple attempts at an American version but they all suck ass.

The judges are famed British food stars Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry and they also have two announcers/comic relief/sidekicks who are hilariously dirty in that sneaky Brit way and really make the show.

What is really surprising to me now on the 3rd season (at least that's what Netflix says it is, it looks like it's actually the BBC's 7th or 8th season we are seeing) is how diverse and varied British accents really are! There's people from Northern Ireland, Scotland, northern England, Wales, southern England, London and every one of them has a different accent that is pretty cool to listen to.

Here during a Baked Alaska challenge, another competitor properly fooked the poor guy from Belfast by pulling his ice cream out of the freezer so she could put hers in. Who the FOOK does that? FOOKING 'ell! Mad

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Raingirl and I have watched the last three seasons.

We really enjoy it!

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I do! I really enjoy it--I even like the filler shots of the countryside. Very pretty. I've watched that last several series/seasons on PBS. and the seventh series just started airing.(PBS calls it the 4th series, but it's not.)

In the UK, the show aired on BBC. Apparently the show is leaving BBC and will air on Channel 4. Mary Berry and the two presenters, Mel and Sue, are leaving the show, which I hate to hear. Paul is staying. Not sure how future seasons will turn out. Frown

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Yep we watch it!

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Great show! We love it because it's all about the baking. No personal drama crap that seems to ruin every otherwise good reality competition show over here.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
Yep we watch it!

Ha! I love these two gals.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife watches it and I must admit, doing some of that baking outside where humidity and temperature can effect the end result can be a challenge.

BTW - the more rum in the dessert, the more like Mary Barry become a merry berry. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
Yep we watch it!

Ha! I love these two gals.

the chick on the left was in another show with a guy,

premise was they would go to a castle or some such place and dress in period correct clothes, and sometimes cook, and eat, period dishes,

with lots of comedy tossed in to make it funny, as well as interesting,

as far as the show in question, yes, when I can catch it on cable I usually watch,

did not know it was on Netflix,, will have to watch more now,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I enjoyed all three season on Netflix and the Masterclass season

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post