SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Need Help picking some PC parts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help picking some PC parts Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I've got a OLD gaming rig I pulled back out. Same one I used to play DayZ with you degenerates on. Big Grin

With my son & life just haven't had time. Well the kid is almost 8 and now I have time. So the PC is limping along. 8 years will age the crap out of a PC. Hoping I can keep the Case and gut it and grab a new Motherboard, CPU, and some other bits and pieces.

Question 1: If I change motherboard & CPU will I have to re-install Win-10? I don't think I have the disc or License info.

Question 2: What are some good mid level price point CPU you would recommend? Was eyeballing : AMD Ryzen 7 @ $300'ish

Question 3: Motherboard options? Tons of choices out there. I guess if I get AMD then Chip will dictate some of my options.

Question 4:
I've got 16GB of RAM in current set up. x2 sticks @ 8GB each. But it is 9-10 years old. Should I go ahead and buy new RAM?

Current set up is :
ASUS board with a LGA 2011 socket. Don't know the model. Once again 10x years old.
CPU = Intel i7-3820 @ 3.6ghz
Graphics Card = AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
16GB of some sort of RAM
Corsair CPU water cooler (Probably re-use this.
Old one died and I replaced in 2018.)
A SSD drive running the OS & a 1TB platter drive for other stuff.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
After a little searching today. Outside the harddrive that has the OS on it. I'm not sure I really can / want to re-use any of the old components. May just end up being a new build.

PC guys have any input on these components? Trying to get decent gear but not spend a total fortune.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qVJ6mk

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'd save $60 and buy the Ryzen 7 3700X as it's only about 2% slower than the 3800X.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm in the middle of building one. I got the Ryzen 7 3700X CPU trapper189 mentioned. Motherboard is an entry-level Gigabyte AORUS X570 Elite. Pretty sure you can use your existing hard drive, though I'd have a second one as it'll be a lot faster. Once it is all up and running you should be able to move your OS to the new drive.

Oh, just saw that it's an SSD. That should be fine.

And yeah, that RAM is probably not DDR4, which I believe is the current standard. Not sure what your budget is, but Amazon had 2x32GB sticks of G.Skill Trident Z Neo for around $300. If you're not wanting any RGB stuff, I'm sure you could find RAM for less.

Graphics card is where I'm stuck. I want to splurge and get an RTX 3080, but they are scarce unless you want to pay scalper prices on eBay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AllenInAR,

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:

Question 1: If I change motherboard & CPU will I have to re-install Win-10? I don't think I have the disc or License info. Yes, you are building a new computer you will need a new license.

Question 2: What are some good mid level price point CPU you would recommend? Was eyeballing : AMD Ryzen 7 @ $300'ish Intel is all I recommend.

Question 3: Motherboard options? Tons of choices out there. I guess if I get AMD then Chip will dictate some of my options. Yes the mb/chip will dictate your options
Question 4:
I've got 16GB of RAM in current set up. x2 sticks @ 8GB each. But it is 9-10 years old. Should I go ahead and buy new RAM? You have DDR3 and the current RAM platform is DDR4 so it won't work in new mb's

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post