SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    DayZ (ARMA 2 mod, not the standalone)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DayZ (ARMA 2 mod, not the standalone) Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Holy learning curve batman.

I can't figure out how to open a friggin door much less equip something.

Toooooollllllll joooooooooooooo. The mouse scroll is your main tool for interacting with the world, doors, vehicles, gear laying around, selecting your main and secondary. "G" is the default inventory key, G for Gear.

I found that, figured out how to pick something up but can't use it. SPent 10 minutes trying to open a door to no avail. Then i got bored and went zombie hunting. Used all my ammo (2 mags) from a G17 to kill a zombie then had another attack me. I got pissed.

This is gonna take some time.

Also, i thought i used the dayz commander to add the server to favorites, but got sent to some random server.

Bah.

Gotta buy a headset with a mic tomorrow anyway.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
ya. holy crap that is not intuitive at all.

Gonna take some learning.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
ARMA is made by ultra nerds, it's a simulator, it's not set up for quick, twitch-based gaming. Part of the reason you really need a group, you can't do everything real quick, get into your inventory, pull out a rocket launcher like you're a magician. You need someone to watch your back while you're farting around in your bag trying to get a can of Pepsi out.

Once you get the hang of it though it gets a lot easier. Get that headset and we can get you on Mumble so some of the other nerds can hold your hand, I'm still asking stupid questions I feel I ought to know the answer to myself, but as you said, it's just not intuitive.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Crap in a hat....

I find the server and log in.

I spawn at night. You were not kidding about being dark. I can't see shit.

I see a farmhouse ahead, and run there cause I"m in the open and scared.

Into the barn. I see two zombies on the road by the farmhouse. I find a chainsaw. Sweet. I test chainsaw and realize that 1. It does not start automatically. When you press "fire" you pull start it and it doesnt start on the first pull, or the second. 2. It takes up a large amount of inventory. I decide the chainsaw is a bad idea.

I move around the barn and find a Winchester 94. I do not find any bullets for it. The Winchester 94 is useless. I move up to the loft of the barn and find a double barrel shotgun. I channel my inner Joe Biden. I find one shotgun shell.

I realize Joe Biden is an idiot.

I find empty tin cans and other useless junk. I'm still scared.

I find a hatchet but cannot figure out how to equip it.

I decide there is nothing else in this barn. I sneak outside. I see the upper half of a zombie crawling towards me. I decide to move away from it. I see another intact zombie walking on the road 90 degrees from the crawler.

I click the wrong button trying to put my shotgun away and fire off my only shell into the dirt. This alerts the zombies to my location.

I slightly poop myself.

I run, and run, and run. I realize I am following a road. I decide staying on a road is stupid when i have only a crappy Makarov pistol and one extra mag.

I leave the road and charge uphill and hide in the darkness.

I hide, making sure I'm not being followed.

Some jerkoff shoots me in the face. I never saw him.

I'm pissed, but I want to play more.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Lulz. That's probably most people's first experience with DayZ. Ran around, found some garbage, ran some more, get shot in the head by some prick, you're mad but you want MOAR. You didn't happen to catch their name, did you?

Shotguns are worthless, in fact early on longarms are worthless because that slot is also used for your hatchet. You would have to drop the shotgun to use the hatchet in that slot, unless you have a backpack that can hold the shotgun. Mind you, it's not a quick switch between the two.

When you pickup the hatchet I think it attaches to your tool belt, when your primary slot is free, right click on the hatchet and select Remove from Toolbelt, this will then put it in your primary. Don't forget to reload the hatchet! There's a glitch, when you first pick up the hatchet you have 0 ammo for it. What kind of ammo? Glitch ammo, don't worry, just hit R and you have 10,000 swings before it needs to be reloaded again.

When it's night, go ahead and crank your Gamma and Brightness, it makes the world look like a black and white movie, but at least you can see what's going on.

quote:

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Well, i can't figure out how to use the damn toolbelt. I found two shotguns in that barn, and I'm sure there was ammo by the other one. It was so damn dark i couldnt see and couldn't figure out how to use the friggin' flashlight.

Actually, there was probably ammo for the '94 but again, too dark to see a tiny bullet.

Grrrrrr.

I'm gonna check out now. I think i spend 4 hours learning .01% of the game, and it has me exhausted.

I'll get the headset tomorrow and then get online when i can. Maybe me swearing at the game will make it work better.

I already woke the wife up tonight (today actually) with my cursing. We will go full on sailor mode tomorrow.

Kevin

Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
All right, I'm cranking this bitch up tonight when the kiddos go to bed.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Which one of you is Jason? The gimpy, broke-legged one.

quote:

Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
AG, I sent you a Steam friend invite. TreeKillah is my Steam username.

What is the Mumble server info?

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum said: "You'll be fine trust us."

Picture of mn_smokeater
posted Hide Post
I missed out on getting Op Arrowhead sooo I'll be stuck without DayZ til the next sale.

I could fart round in vanilla A2 though with yall.

~------------------------------~
"Other Duties as Assigned"

Posts: 1355 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: March 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Gah...you guys are making this hard not to try

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Holy motion sickness Batman!! 10 minutes in and I'm about to puke.

I got a shotgun and some wicked-cool glowsticks. Killed three zombies. Avoided some dudes in a Hummer, and a few zombies.

Once the nausea subsides, I might give it another go.

Picture of mn_smokeater
posted Hide Post
Ohhh forgot I'm mn_smokeater there too.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: March 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
Holy motion sickness Batman!! 10 minutes in and I'm about to puke.

I got a shotgun and some wicked-cool glowsticks. Killed three zombies. Avoided some dudes in a Hummer, and a few zombies.

Once the nausea subsides, I might give it another go.

Switch to third person, by default it's the num pad Enter. I can't play it in first person either, except to aim.

I didn't get your friend request so I sent you one, got yours smokeater, unfortunately I don't play base ARMA, I only have it for DayZ, not a big fan of simulators overall. But DayZ does something to me, it tickles something juuuuuust right.

quote:

Picture of mn_smokeater
posted Hide Post
No worries on that ASG, I'll be there eventually. I only aquire games on sales and was thinking of skipping the Op AR as heard dayZ was too full of dickbags.

Course then I had to read this after the sale.

Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Fun times!!

Third-person held off the screaming pukes, but I never fully recovered from the first round of nausea. I'm sure I'll be fine the next time.

Anyhow, the concept of this game is really cool. I imagine you could probably do well as a lone wolf, but you'd have to stay WELL AWAY from roads or towns except in cases of emergency, or to resupply.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
I likely wont be there then, but add me on Steam, I'm airsoft_guy, maybe get you introduced to some of the other nerds, help you get started.

Do you have Mumble and a headset? Those will be incredibly important to any sort of coordination. Our Mumble server went down for a few minutes earlier tonight and it was like being struck dumb, all we could do was type at each other, but that's no good when you're driving and one of you is using the map to find a route to the trade city. Communication is essential for coordination as well as me yelling at you. Not because I'm mad, it's just how I communicate. Loudly, with lots of swearing. Thanks, dad. And grandpa. And most of the other male role models in my life.

Got a headset, and just installed mumble

Sent you guys friend invites as KevinCW

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

For whatever reason I am not receiving friend requests, so I sent you one, I'll get you the Mumble info there, but I think everyone logged off for the night.

quote:

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

For whatever reason I am not receiving friend requests, so I sent you one, I'll get you the Mumble info there, but I think everyone logged off for the night.

Cool

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Well, I logged off hiding in a barn. Since it is going to snow it's ass off here tomorrow, I'll probably be able to play tomorrow.