SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    DayZ (ARMA 2 mod, not the standalone)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DayZ (ARMA 2 mod, not the standalone) Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
How long does that sale last? I won't be able to get home to download it til 0200

It ends in 5 hours, 45 minutes as of this post.

If you miss it there might a sale on the last day of their best sellers, no doubt ARMA will be there.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
This game may be of interest to me.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Sweet. I should be able to get it in time. I get off in 3 hours.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
ok, bought the game(s) i need.

You have a link to the specific mod?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
ok, bought the game(s) i need.

You have a link to the specific mod?

Like I said, go get DayZ Commander it's the best way to make sure you're all up to date. There's some extra tweaking to be done since you have the Steam version, it's all in the options somewhere on DayZ Commander, just a couple boxes to check, then restart Steam as an Admin as well as Commander. Once that's done, use Commander to update the mods you want, it already has the list of them, you want DayZ Epoch, and of course the base game.

Before actually playing DayZ you need to open and run ARMA and Op Arrow head once first, otherwise it'll give you errors and kick you. After that go to Commander and find a DayZ server and proceed to do gross things to zombies. Some servers have day/night cycles, some are always day or night, the server we play on has a day/night cycle so right now it's dark and in ARMA, dark is DARK, like Wesley Snipes playing "Guess Who?" with you.

quote:

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Thanks.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Awesome. Thanks.

The more the merrier. Just remember, it's got a steep learning curve so don't expect to pop in there and be King Shit of Fuck Mountain. You're probably gonna be a chambermaid for a while. The one with a lazy eye and club foot. Just learning the basics is a beast, forget about combat. My first kill was panicky luck.

We were scaving in this town when some guy sneaks up and brains my cousin as he's sitting in his SUV, Nala and I return fire but he's a wiggly one, laying prone. He manages to take out Nala but I went around the other side and proceeded to empty all three of my .45 mags into him and he still wasn't dead. So I turn and ran off, taking one of our cars. None of my shots were immediately fatal, but he either didn't have enough bandages or he was bleeding too much because it took him a minute to bleed out and die. I was well down the road when the combat log notified us that I killed him.

quote:

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Well I expect nothing. Last time I was even close to decent at a game was counter strike. The original one like in 2001. You know when the cool kids had cable Internet at 1mbps/sec and we bought a router so we could drag our computers over for a lan party....

I stupidly fired modern war 3 the other day for my first online play. Owned was a nice way to describe my play...

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
If we meet up the best I can promise is to be the distraction that takes fire while you do the killing. That and suppressing fire.....

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
The thing is, it's not a shooter like other shooters. It's a work simulator basically. Just long periods of nothing going on, but the stress of knowing that at any time a band of better equipped and organized survivors could roll up on you in a convoy of blacked out, armored Chevys with miniguns on the top and just ruin all your hard work. Or a lone sniper could take you out. Maybe you just run into another guy who's just started and doesn't know what he's doing and hasn't got anything to lose. And maybe all those people are actually friendly and you team up or trade.

quote:

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Ya. I am sold. I am hoping to be on at 0230 local time tomorrow.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I likely wont be there then, but add me on Steam, I'm airsoft_guy, maybe get you introduced to some of the other nerds, help you get started.

Do you have Mumble and a headset? Those will be incredibly important to any sort of coordination. Our Mumble server went down for a few minutes earlier tonight and it was like being struck dumb, all we could do was type at each other, but that's no good when you're driving and one of you is using the map to find a route to the trade city. Communication is essential for coordination as well as me yelling at you. Not because I'm mad, it's just how I communicate. Loudly, with lots of swearing. Thanks, dad. And grandpa. And most of the other male role models in my life.

quote:

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna check it out when I get home. I've already got Arma 2 and Op: Arrowhead.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Needless to say it was just like prom night, we got fucked and I ragequit.

You ragequit prom night? Impressive.

Yes I played DayZ the mod. I quit because people only played to PvP, not to survive. The main reason I think people did this is that once you're fully geared up, there is absolutely nothing to do, so you just go kill people until someone one shots you in the side of the head with a sniper rifle. That cycle eventually got really old no matter which version of DayZ I was playing, so I quit.

Last month the standalone version of the game came out and I got that, and since it's a pre-alpha version, it's even worse. There's even less to do than in any of the mod versions. I made a couple of videos on it, and now I'm just gonna quit until the SA version is MUCH more fleshed out.

But I doubt anything will ever change about it. The call of duty pvp crowd invaded the game and it's never been the same since.

But hey, at least you can proper rob people now:

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:

You ragequit prom night? Impressive.

Yes I played DayZ the mod. I quit because people only played to PvP, not to survive. The main reason I think people did this is that once you're fully geared up, there is absolutely nothing to do, so you just go kill people until someone one shots you in the side of the head with a sniper rifle. That cycle eventually got really old no matter which version of DayZ I was playing, so I quit.

Last month the standalone version of the game came out and I got that, and since it's a pre-alpha version, it's even worse. There's even less to do than in any of the mod versions. I made a couple of videos on it, and now I'm just gonna quit until the SA version is MUCH more fleshed out.

But I doubt anything will ever change about it. The call of duty pvp crowd invaded the game and it's never been the same since.

But hey, at least you can proper rob people now:

I pre-ragequit prom.

I would think DayZ would be too advanced for your average Cowadoody douche, there's not even any dope or sick or poppin' fresh paints for your guns. I could see where things might get real boring once you get up there, it's pretty fun in the beginning, just the three of us skittering around, scaving for gear hoping those douches in the up-armored Chevys don't show up. Our plan to keep things interesting is to be a bipolar gang. One day we roll up and rob you blind and then the next we're Santa giving you guns and beanie weenies.

I see in the video you've got a bayonet, can you actually use it? That part really upsets me about the mod, there doesn't seem to be a melee option for the guns, even though most of them make excellent clubs. I've got a No.4 Enfield, if I run out of ammo with it I doubt I'd have much trouble beating a man to death with it. So right now if I want a ranged weapon it's gotta be a pistol because I'm sporting a hatchet or crowbar in my main slot.

quote:

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
damn dogs won't go to bed so i can play....

Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
You can detach the bayonet and use it as a knife. The only bonus is that it doesn't take an inventory slot since it's attached to your gun.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
You can detach the bayonet and use it as a knife. The only bonus is that it doesn't take an inventory slot since it's attached to your gun.

Unfortunate. Can the knife/bayonet be used as a weapon or is it just a tool?

quote:

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Holy learning curve batman.

I can't figure out how to open a friggin door much less equip something.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holy learning curve batman.

I can't figure out how to open a friggin door much less equip something.

Toooooollllllll joooooooooooooo. The mouse scroll is your main tool for interacting with the world, doors, vehicles, gear laying around, selecting your main and secondary. "G" is the default inventory key, G for Gear.

quote: