SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Toshiro Mifune Documentary on Netflix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toshiro Mifune Documentary on Netflix Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
Just watched with my daughter - actually very well done, thorough and a good look at Japanese cinema since the 1920s / Chanbara films. Need to go back and watch a few of his films again. Also a good look At Kurosawa and his approach to telling stories. Guess who narrates this? Most Excellent.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
Seconded! I had no idea mifune fought in the war.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underworld2086:
Seconded! I had no idea mifune fought in the war.

Army Aviation, Training Kamikaze pilots. Sergeant Mifune. Tried to find out more but not much detail on the interwebs. Kurosawa made propaganda films.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. I watched it last night and it is indeed excellent.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Is the movie Hell in the Pacific covered?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not really, just mentioned.

Not much new material in the movie (at least to me anyway) other than a some interviews. But it's all nicely put together in one place. I enjoyed it, well worth watching.

I watched the whole thing with recognizing the narrators voice.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post