SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Dawns Here Are Quiet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Dawns Here Are Quiet Login/Join 
posted
Stumbled across this Russian series on Amazon Prime. About a small squad of Russian women soldiers, led by a male “Comrade Sargent” holding off Nazi saboteurs. Very different perspective, some great weapons work. Russian made, subtitles, but you don’t even notice them after awhile. Very entertaining and kept me coming back like an ordinary American Netflix series.
I’ll be checking out some others that were listed when you click “customers also watched”.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I take it this was the 2015 version? It's an excellent miniseries remake of an excellent film. (The original is from 1972.)

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the series.

Now watching The Attackers, along the same lines. Russian fighter pilots against the NAZIs. It’s interesting how the common Russian soldier not only had to fight the Germans but also the Comrade (communists) representatives within their own units.
As an aside, the Russian women tend to be some of the main characters in these series and are very easy on the eyes!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yup, I watched that a while back.

I've watched a potload of subtitled stuff, Russian (couple of cop shows that were pretty good) Norwegian, German, Spanish (The Cathedral of the Sea is good) and Israeli. You really do get to a point where you don't even realize you're reading subtitles.

It was kind of fun watching the German and Spanish ones as I have a small vocabulary in each language. You pick up a lot of colloquial usage that way. For instance, "claro" can mean a lot of things depending on context.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post