SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite Jazz album Post here
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Jazz album Post here Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
One of my all time favorite smoothie jazz is
Kenny G. My partner and I at the Power Company they allowed us to listen to music all day in the field if we chose to. Mike and I installed a top notch car tuner head and installed pretty good speakers on the back doors so when opened, we could enjoy music all day in the Substations. Both of us enjoyed smooth jazz and hearing Kenny G play his sax I had to purchase the Silhouette cd, one of my absolute favorites. I purchased quite a few jazz albums from daily listening to this local smooth jazz station. Thats where I was introduced to the Artists on the Windham Hill label, wonderful musicians, guitar, piano, you name it.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raggedhole:
The Jazz Crusaders aka The Crusaders

I will admit to be very partial to their Urban Renewal LP. Great stuff!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m not really a Jazz fan. I have a handful of albums, and I would respond with something like Trane or Miles Davis. My brother, however is a serious fan of Jazz, so I asked him. He said this.

Chris Botti - Italia, in Boston, A Thousand Kisses
The Rippingtons- Tourist in Paradise
Paul Hardcastle- Chill Lounge
Richard Elliot
Brian Culbertson

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Maynard Ferguson's Chameleon.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
The Pat Metheny Group's "Letter from Home" and "As falls Wichita so falls Wichita Falls". Followed closely by Spyro Gyro's "Catching the Sun"

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Pretty much anything from the Rippingtons, Candy Dulfer, Fourplay or Spyro Gyra...I’m a smooth jazz kinda cat Razz...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rippingtons would love to see them sometime.
Fourplay
years ago, I listened to Kenny G live, alot...great stuff, amazing musicianship

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptb351:

You're joking, right?

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'm still learning about jazz but so far if it has a sax I like it. I've been looking up all the artists in this thread that I haven't heard.

The tv show Bosch actually turned me on to jazz when I first heard Art Pepper. I looked him up on youtube and several of the comments were from people that heard his music on Bosch.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Candy Dulfer and Dave Stewart

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/86BmSaXZMHw" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I love that tune. Candy was and still is a hottie. Excellent all around saxophonist, though she's more of a funk artist. She loves to live upstairs in the altissimo range.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:

You're joking, right?

I am not. His band was great.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're joking, right?

Kenny G was and is a terrible musician. He made lots of money tricking the ignorant into thinking he was actually good.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're joking, right?

Kenny G was and is a terrible musician. He made lots of money tricking the ignorant into thinking he was actually good.

You have got to be kidding, right?
Kenny G whether you do or not enjoy the sound was a prodigy from a young age and most certainly is very talented.
C'mon Man. Confused

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I know we’re drifting this thread, but...

While I like Kenny G, he cannot hold a candle to the likes of Charlie Parker, Ben Webster, and Cannonball Adderley. In my mind, those guys are 16oz prime ribs while Kenny G is cotton candy: sweet, but insubstantial.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this. Awesome rendition
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/86BmSaXZMHw" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're joking, right?

You have got to be kidding, right?
Kenny G whether you do or not enjoy the sound was a prodigy from a young age and most certainly is very talented.
C'mon Man. Confused

I'm absolutely not kidding. Kenny G is neither a prodigy nor is he a talented musician. The only thing he's talented at is making money by impressing those who know nothing about music. He's a laughing stock in the jazz world, especially amongst saxophonists.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
A popular joke among musicians:

“What did Kenny G say when he stepped into the elevator?”

“This music is smokin’!”

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm absolutely not kidding. Kenny G is neither a prodigy nor is he a talented musician. The only thing he's talented at is making money by impressing those who know nothing about music. He's a laughing stock in the jazz world, especially amongst saxophonists.

You're WRONG but I have read up on all the hate for Kenny G.
Not going to debate it but I understand where you are coming from as it only develops into a pissing contest and no need for that. Frown

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Many excellent artists in this thread. Most I've enjoyed, though I won't single out the albums.

I just gotta add Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli together.

Also, Sarah Vaughan.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post