SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert : Onibaba
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert : Onibaba Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Airing Monday, October 30th at 2:15 AM EST is a real gem of a horror film. Onibaba is a 1964 Japanese film directed by Kaneto Shindo. Set during wartime in 14th century Japan, the film tells the story of two women living in a field of reeds, who kill soldiers to steal and sell their arms and armor.
If you suffer from ADD and need crap flashing at you on the screen in quick edits and people screaming and all that nonsense that's in modern horror films, you might want to skip this film. If you need a tidy ending wherein all is explained and a resolution of some sort is presented, this is not the film for you.
If, on the other hand, you long for a cinematic experience, then this film is probably for you.

That field of reeds where the film takes place- it's such a claustrophobic environment. The setting of the film is its own character. Ought be listed in the credits: Field of Reeds and Deep Hole as themselves.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ll have a look, thanks. The mythical Oni pictured is reason enough

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Yup, me too.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just set the DVR to record.

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite horror films! I’ve heard that the mask was the basis for the demon face William Friedkin used in those flash images in The Exorcist.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Anybody catch it?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Anybody catch it?

Watching it now, para. About 30 minutes into it and find it fascinating. The last Japanese classic I watched was Kurosawa’s take on Macbeth, “Throne of Blood.” I like this one better

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nero
posted Hide Post
Saw it a couple of months ago on TCM. Excellent movie.

I also suggest Jigoku "The Sinners of Hell"(1960) and Woman in the Dunes(1964) both are very good and creepy JN movies that occasionally show on TCM.

nero

Posts: 4639 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post