SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix: The Movies That Made Us
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix: The Movies That Made Us Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
Same basic idea as “the toys that made us” (surprisingly enjoyable IMO).

Behind the scenes look at many hit movies. I’m a few episodes in and really enjoying it, a good watch for movie fans.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Kind of related..., check out The Story of Film: An Odyssey (2011).

Found it's playing on our library's hoopla streaming service. Rewatching it now. Bonus... I've found Mark Cousins' accent hard to follow at times, and this version has subtitles! The dvd series did not.

With all its talk of box office, the film business would have us believe that money drives movies. Ticket sales. Marketing. Glamour. Premiers. Red carpets. But it doesn't. Money doesn't drive cinema. The money men don't know the secrets of the human heart or the brilliance of the medium of film. But if money doesn't drive movies, what does? Here's the answer: ideas.

Watch how a shot of bubbles becomes an idea in movie history. This is a scene from the British director Carol Reed's 1946 movie Odd Man Out. A guy's in a mess. He sees his trouble reflected in the bubbles of a spilled drink. Now look at another close-up of bubbles in a drink. Again a character is in trouble, self-absorbed. This film's director, Jean-Luc Godard, knew and admired Carol Reed's work, so he was probably thinking of Odd Man Out when, 20 years later, he filmed this moment. Now look at Martin Scorsese's film Taxi Driver of 1976. Scorsese loved the films of Carol Reed and Jean-Luc Godard and so used the same idea, that a character looking into bubbles can see their own troubles, and also, somehow, the cosmos.

The Story of Film: An Odyssey (2011) Episode 1 - Birth of the Cinema

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Watched all 4 episodes of it. Die Hard, Ghostbusters and Dirty Dancing we’re very interesting.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The fact that they filmed Home Alone in a school was pretty wild.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The fact that they filmed Home Alone in a school was pretty wild.

The home alone episode is great! I had no idea it almost never made it to the big screen.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've never seen Dirty Dancing or Home Alone, but I enjoyed both the episodes.

posted Hide Post
I've never seen dirty dancing but as I've found with some podcasts, you dont always have to see the subject to enjoy its description and zany story. I've enjoyed the other episodes quite a bit and hope the series continues.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post