SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Country Music ain't Country No More
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Country Music ain't Country No More Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
So I don't listen to country, aside from some certain Johnny Cash songs. I think I have an Antebellum(?) song as well...

Anyway, Turnpike Troubadors.....they're country??

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
So I don't listen to country, aside from some certain Johnny Cash songs. I think I have an Antebellum(?) song as well...

Anyway, Turnpike Troubadors.....they're country??

Turnpike is (or was) more Southern Rock/Red Dirt (an Oklahoma based genre) than Country. However in much of the country these genres overlap. Texas Country/Red Dirt/Southern Rock/Folk/Bluegrass, all can be heard on the radio stations across Texas.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
“Lonesome,” Hankshaw Hawkins

You must have been reminded by the anniversary of the plane crash.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
While I agree with the general sentiment.....there's still plenty of really good country music being made. For those of ya'll who are jaded, try searching under the "Red Dirt" genre. You'll find things like Cody Jinks, Whiskey Meyers, and the greatest of the bunch (IMHO), Turnpike Troubadours, who are excellent.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Randy Travis' Digging Up Bones does it for me. No beer or tears mentioned, but just good old fashioned Country

Posts: 519 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Dale Watson. Cannot post with this device.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clipper1:
Well, Randy Travis' Digging Up Bones does it for me. No beer or tears mentioned, but just good old fashioned Country

One of the greatest country songs IMO!

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give it away G. Strait
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akU0srKozdQ

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Saw Tyler Childers in concert last night. If he ain't country, I don't know what is.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try listening to Dale Watson.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Surprised bendable was the first to post George Strait.

How 'bout some Pure Country.

Probably my favorite by George:

The concert as a playlist.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Listened to this song this morning, and felt compelled to get it out there. I don’t imagine this thread is just about posting favorite songs, but it seemed like a good place to put it.

There are pretty ones, then there’s Vince Gill and Allison Krause singing together. The song is elevated by the distinctive dobro work of Jerry Douglas.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
YOU WILL NOT FIND GREAT MUSIC ON THE RADIO.

Depends where you live Wink

One of my favorite stations is KHYI 95.3 "The Range". Here is their mission statement.

quote:
KHYI is a beacon of hope in the murky ocean of cheesy, generic, pseudo, so-called “Country” music. One of the last remaining major-market “mom & pop” radio stations left in the country, no one from New York or L.A. (Or Atlanta, in the case of Cumulus) has the power to make us play Jason Aldean, or Kenny Chesney, or Rascal Flattulence. We’re mavericks…and we believe the world deserves to hear Robert Earl Keen, Ray Wylie Hubbard, the Turnpike Troubadours, and the Dirty River Boys. We also think its impossible to be a country radio station and not play Waylon and Willie, and Hank (Sr.), and J.R. Cash, and Merle, and the Possum…but we digress.
We love our listeners and we keep it real. We close the bars on Saturday nights, but never miss church on Sundays.
We’re happy you found us. Keep it here for a while.

http://khyi.com

Amen,and good post.Agree totally, wish I could get that station. We have one here in SE Az. KHIL, Rex Allen and my hometown, also Tanya Tucker before Delta Dawn. BTW,check out Tanya's new stuff. Don't Bring Me Flowers.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleAdobe:
Agree totally, wish I could get that station.

You can listen here:

https://onlineradiobox.com/us/khyi/?cs=us.khyi

Or here:

https://tunein.com/radio/The-Range-953-s33058/

Or here:

https://streema.com/radios/The_Range_KHYI

Or even here:

http://khyi.com/listen-now/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Waylon and Willie and the boys (Bocephus, Merle, Charlie Daniels, Cash, etc) are my all-time favorites. To me *that's* Country. At least dude-country...

But I also like and grew up with Dolly, Patsy, Loretta, Tanya, etc, and they're certainly real county, too.

Plus, Roy, Conway, Marty Robbins, Kenny, George, Hank Sr., etc, all great, and very legit.

That's all country, real country, to me. Hee Haw, Nashville Now, and Duke's of Hazard style.

Nowadays I like a lot of Bluegrass, Americana, Alt Country, Red Dirt, Southern Rock, etc. But I come back to Hank Sr, Jr, Waylon, Willie, and Charlie pretty often, plus I'm on a Billie Joe Shaver kick since seeing him perform on Norm Macdonald's netflix show a while back.

Drive by Truckers now classic double-album Southern Rock Opera is a modern work of art on multiple levels, in that world. Part history lesson, part autobiographical for the band, part fiction, woven into one, beautifully executed, as far as I'm concerned. As good as any Skynyrd beyond the three big hits.

And I love Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, and that whole scene, since day one of all that.

Alison Krauss is great, too. A national treasure, maybe.

I especially like intersections of Folk, Bluegrass, and Country, from Wilco to Krauss.

Plus I love covers and juxtapositions like those by Iron Horse.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
classic favorites:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And one for the Tennessee Plowboy
[FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just one more, Gentleman Jim Reeves.

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/sAv1VO7-bEU[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post