SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Avengers Infinity War I Trailer Out
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Avengers Infinity War I Trailer Out Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Is there anyone else that can't stand the Black Widow character? The whole flip around from someone's shoulders like some damn lucha libre wrestler style just doesn't appeal to me.

From the looks of the trailer and the ending of Civil War, Captain America has been hiding out in Waucanda?


It requires breaking the laws of physics for a 100lb girl to beat up all those 200lb dudes.


I'm in the camp being slightly disappointed that the female super hero's don't have Olympic-level muscle mass...however, I'm not gonna get too wrapped around the axle, as ScarJo is pretty damn hot in tight leather.
 
Posts: 7260 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I'm in the camp being slightly disappointed that the female super hero's don't have Olympic-level muscle mass...


To be fair, in Civil War, Scarlet Witch pwned Vision, who is a seriously powerful being.
 
Posts: 1349 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I'm in the camp being slightly disappointed that the female super hero's don't have Olympic-level muscle mass...


To be fair, in Civil War, Scarlet Witch pwned Vision, who is a seriously powerful being.


Ah, but Scarlet Witch is 'enhanced' (DC refers to those like her as 'Meta-Humans') For example, Metas have 'super powers,' such as Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, etc. 'Badass Normals' don't have super-powers, such as Batman and Green Arrow.

To bring it into the MCU, Capt A, Thor, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Spiderman, Buckie, and Hulk have super powers. Tony Stark, Hawkeye, and Black Widow do not. They just have crazy-super-Olympic skills/abilities or awesome mech-suits.

Physical stature doesn't matter if you have mind-control powers. Most characters with such powers are shown to be physically diminutive and/or frail (often with big heads), as they generally don't rely on physical force. This is similar to Doctor Strange - he doesn't have to be all bulked out and ripped, as he mostly uses his mind/magic to fight, not physical attributes (although, in the hand-to-hand action, it surely must help to be fit).

It doesn't bother me to see Capt A knocked around for an hour by gigantic thugs, as he is biologically enhanced and can take it. As can Thor, as he's not really 'human' at all, but Asgardian (and therefore, possesses strength and resilience that we mortals do not). However, the logic doesn't hold with any non-super person. Most any human will grow weary a short time into a full-up brawl, and here, Widow's diminished physical stature (compared to those she's fighting) will tell against her. It works in Iron Man 2, where she clears out the Hammer Tech security guards, as there really weren't that many of them, and she only had to take on about 2-3 at a time. However, in Avengers I or II, where she is in a long, drawn-out battle against creatures/robots much larger and stronger than her, she wouldn't have the endurance to last long (and to be fair, I don't recall her fighting that much in Avengers II against Ultron's robots).

In a fight, Scarlet Witch will only be limited by her ability to project her powers (assuming she avoids getting punched in the face a lot). It's unknown how much effort it takes her to do what she does. It appears physically effortless to use her telekinesis, though there must be a mental fatigue component in play after a long fight. Therefore, her ability to pwn Vision isn't based on her physique or size; it has to do with how much power she can conjure (as Yoda said, "Judge me by my size, do you?") Wink



And, yes, I know - I'm a nerd (says so in my CUT).



No arsenal is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
Ronald Reagan
 
Posts: 19737 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Ah, but Scarlet Witch is 'enhanced' (DC refers to those like her as 'Meta-Humans') For example, Metas have 'super powers,' such as Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, etc. 'Badass Normals' don't have super-powers, such as Batman and Green Arrow.


In the comic books, Scarlet Witch is a mutant (she's originally from the X-Men comics - she and Quicksilver are Magneto's kids).

In the movies, they never call her that because the movies are from Disney-owned Marvel Studios while 20th Century Fox owns the rights to the X-Men and the idea of mutants with superpowers.

Marvel Studios could use Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver anyway because while they are part of the X-Men rights owned by 20th Century Fox, they're also part of the Avengers rights retained by Marvel Studios - Marvel Studios just can't call them X-Men or mutants.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2...os-20th-century-fox/

That's also why a lot of comics nerds were excited by the news a few weeks ago about Disney maybe buying 20th Century Fox. It sounds like, from Disney's point of view, it's more about TV show rights for their future streaming service, but it would also mean Marvel Studios could use the X-Men in its movies.

As an unrelated side note, it's a real shame they haven't gotten Elizabeth Olsen in a more true-to-the-comic-books Scarlet Witch costume. Smile
 
Posts: 3839 | Location: TX | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
As an unrelated side note, it's a real shame they haven't gotten Elizabeth Olsen in a more true-to-the-comic-books Scarlet Witch costume. Smile


That would be worth the price of the movie ticket right there.

She is certainly easy on the eyes. Big Grin


_____________

Edmond
 
Posts: 8527 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
In a fight, Scarlet Witch will only be limited by her ability to project her powers (assuming she avoids getting punched in the face a lot). It's unknown how much effort it takes her to do what she does. It appears physically effortless to use her telekinesis, though there must be a mental fatigue component in play after a long fight. Therefore, her ability to pwn Vision isn't based on her physique or size; it has to do with how much power she can conjure


And if we go by the comics, the power she can conjure is significant. She's one of the most powerful mutants in the universe, capable of permanently altering reality across the entire universe, bringing people back to life, stripping others of their superpowers, etc.
 
Posts: 19232 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Awesome. Trailer answers the question of whether or not Loki took the tesseract (of course we all knew he took it)


I'm more interested in whether he gives it up to Thanos to save his own hide...probably.
 
Posts: 17137 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Awesome. Trailer answers the question of whether or not Loki took the tesseract (of course we all knew he took it)


I'm more interested in whether he gives it up to Thanos to save his own hide...probably.


Maybe it's the only thing he can do to save the life of all the Asgardians on the ship? In the stinger of Thor Ragnarok, Thanos' ship appears right outside Thor's. It's reasonable to assume that Thanos wouldn't just let them go their way without a price.

Although, Loki did fail Thanos (by failing in Avengers I), so maybe Loki did have to use it as insurance to save his own butt. . .

Kind of funny, though. The Avengers KNOW that Thanos is after the Infinity Stones. So, why don't they just send Vision (who has the mind stone in his forehead) off to the far reaches of the galaxy, or something? And it appears that Dr Strange is wearing another stone, the Eye of Agimoto, during at least one fight scene. Maybe they should HIDE the stones from the unstoppable murder psycho that's trying to FIND the stones?


I, personally, think Loki has turned good permanently. He went through too much character development in the last Thor movie to go back to his eevil ways. IMO.



No arsenal is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
Ronald Reagan
 
Posts: 19737 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
So, why don't they just send Vision (who has the mind stone in his forehead) off to the far reaches of the galaxy, or something? And it appears that Dr Strange is wearing another stone, the Eye of Agimoto, during at least one fight scene. Maybe they should HIDE the stones from the unstoppable murder psycho that's trying to FIND the stones?


I'd like to think it goes back to what Cap said right before civil war: "the safest hands are our own." Up to this point, there's been no threat they couldn't handle together. Vision is also, arguably, one of the most, if not the most powerful Avenger. Sending him away would be divesting themselves of their ace card (and if they don't know exactly how powerful Thanos is, that wouldn't make sense from their strategy POV).

quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:I, personally, think Loki has turned good permanently. He went through too much character development in the last Thor movie to go back to his eevil ways. IMO.


I don't think he's evil. I think he's unredeemably selfish and that he will throw anyone under the bus to save his own hide. IMO, he might do the "right thing" once in a while when it coincides with his own agenda (like trading the tessaract for the lives of everyone on board the ship, including his own of course), but never for the right reason. My guess is the only person he ever really cared for died when Malekith invaded Asgard.
 
Posts: 17137 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I'm in the camp being slightly disappointed that the female super hero's don't have Olympic-level muscle mass...


To be fair, in Civil War, Scarlet Witch pwned Vision, who is a seriously powerful being.


Ah, but Scarlet Witch is 'enhanced' (DC refers to those like her as 'Meta-Humans') For example, Metas have 'super powers,' such as Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, etc. 'Badass Normals' don't have super-powers, such as Batman and Green Arrow.

To bring it into the MCU, Capt A, Thor, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Spiderman, Buckie, and Hulk have super powers. Tony Stark, Hawkeye, and Black Widow do not. They just have crazy-super-Olympic skills/abilities or awesome mech-suits.

Physical stature doesn't matter if you have mind-control powers. Most characters with such powers are shown to be physically diminutive and/or frail (often with big heads), as they generally don't rely on physical force. This is similar to Doctor Strange - he doesn't have to be all bulked out and ripped, as he mostly uses his mind/magic to fight, not physical attributes (although, in the hand-to-hand action, it surely must help to be fit).

It doesn't bother me to see Capt A knocked around for an hour by gigantic thugs, as he is biologically enhanced and can take it. As can Thor, as he's not really 'human' at all, but Asgardian (and therefore, possesses strength and resilience that we mortals do not). However, the logic doesn't hold with any non-super person. Most any human will grow weary a short time into a full-up brawl, and here, Widow's diminished physical stature (compared to those she's fighting) will tell against her. It works in Iron Man 2, where she clears out the Hammer Tech security guards, as there really weren't that many of them, and she only had to take on about 2-3 at a time. However, in Avengers I or II, where she is in a long, drawn-out battle against creatures/robots much larger and stronger than her, she wouldn't have the endurance to last long (and to be fair, I don't recall her fighting that much in Avengers II against Ultron's robots).

In a fight, Scarlet Witch will only be limited by her ability to project her powers (assuming she avoids getting punched in the face a lot). It's unknown how much effort it takes her to do what she does. It appears physically effortless to use her telekinesis, though there must be a mental fatigue component in play after a long fight. Therefore, her ability to pwn Vision isn't based on her physique or size; it has to do with how much power she can conjure (as Yoda said, "Judge me by my size, do you?") Wink



And, yes, I know - I'm a nerd (says so in my CUT).


Well apparently you haven’t heard Hawkeye’s song about being just as super as the other guys



_______________________________________________
Use thumb-size bullets to create fist-size holes.
 
Posts: 11752 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
 
Posts: 1139 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

I don't think he's evil. I think he's unredeemably selfish and that he will throw anyone under the bus to save his own hide. IMO, he might do the "right thing" once in a while when it coincides with his own agenda (like trading the tessaract for the lives of everyone on board the ship, including his own of course), but never for the right reason. My guess is the only person he ever really cared for died when Malekith invaded Asgard.


Good point. I was looking at him from a 2D perspective. I agree, that Frigga was the only person he cared about.

I guess "evil" is too strong a word for him. He is exceedingly self-centered, and has pursued his own self-interests to the exclusion of all else from the beginning. Hopefully, we see a bit of selfless behaviour from him from now on. . .



No arsenal is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
Ronald Reagan
 
Posts: 19737 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
After having stalled out a few months ago, it looks like Disney and Fox have resumed discussions for Disney to buy Fox's TV and movie production assets.

If this works out, the next round of Disney's Marvel Universe films/shows could very well include the X-Men and Fantastic Four too!

"Disney and Fox are closing in on deal, could be announced next week": https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/0...t-week--sources.html
 
Posts: 19232 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I feel I remember correctly, Bladk Widow got a version of the super soldier serum the Russians had developed

It's never been discussed in the movies, butnit has been in the comics. iIRC Natasha Romanov is also not a spring chicken....not as old as Cap and Bucky, but she received her dose at the height of the Cold War so despite her appearance she is in her 60s

I'm not sure why that's never been discussed in the movies, but it has in the comics....she is not just some well trained bad ass like Batman...

and even D.C. Has alluded to occasionally that there may be a superhuman, or supernatural, source to some of what batman does....particularly his stealth....

in a midsummer's nightmare, the story that relaunched the justice league back in the 90s, Batman was able to stealth and avoid superman's vision and the Martian manhunter's ability to see him telepathically...given the mysterious, magical nature of ninjas, this isn't too terribly surprising, but still hints that Bruce isn't just a normal guy
 
Posts: 6576 | Location: Bristow, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Avengers Infinity War I Trailer Out

© SIGforum 2017