SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Spy - Sasha Baron Cohen
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Spy - Sasha Baron Cohen Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I nearly pissed my pants laughing in the theater when I saw Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

quote:

Borat: [approaches a random pedestrian] Hello, my name is Borat. I am new in town. I say hello?

New York Businessman: Do not touch me. Do not get near my face.

Borat: I kiss you?

New York Businessman: Yeah, you kiss me and I'll pop you in the fucking balls, OK?

That will be interesting to see him in a serious role!

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just watched episode 1. Wife and I are hooked—-we just got back from 10 days in Israel, where we visited the Golan Heights, and saw many historic sites and museums related to the struggle for Israel’s survival. So we are very much into this.
As Christian evangelicals, we are very much supporters of Israel.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize this was on Netflix. Thought it was a movie. I plan on watching.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Starting with HBO and now continuing on Netflix and Amazon, the TV mini-series has replaced the feature length movie as the art form for serious drama. No feature-length film can develop characters and settings as deeply as a six to twelve-hour (or even longer) mini-series or series.
Now that we have not just HD but 4K video at home, there remains no technical advantage to seeing serious films in a theater. What remains for them is CGI-jammed comic strip superhero movies.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Starting with HBO and now continuing on Netflix and Amazon, the TV mini-series has replaced the feature length movie as the art form for serious drama. No feature-length film can develop characters and settings as deeply as a six to twelve-hour (or even longer) mini-series or series.

I think last year or the year before, more Emmy award nominations went to streaming or, cable services, passing the legacy broadcast networks for the first time. Times are a changin'

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
After reading this thread, I suggested this to the wife. She said "Isn't he the guy...Doesn't he do...silly, stupid movies?"
I said "Yes he did Borat and some other stuff"
She looked at me like 'then why?'

All I had to do was mention that it was better than 95% favorable on SF. Considering our past experiences, it carries weight with her.

We loved it. A few days after we were done, she told me missed it.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
All I had to do was mention that it was better than 95% favorable on SF. Considering our past experiences, it carries weight with her.

A wise woman, like my own wife!
"Why don't you ask SigForum...?"

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Started this last night. 3 episodes in & liking it so far.

Reminds me a bit of The Night Manager

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Yes. An excellent series!!!

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I can't believe you guys are actually supporting this guy. The only thing I would watch with this ass clown is his public hanging.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
I can't believe you guys are actually supporting this guy. The only thing I would watch with this ass clown is his public hanging.

How long is your "Refuse to Watch" list of actors?

If you only watch right-leaning/conservative actors, it's going to be a pretty short list. Same goes for music and a few other industries. Baron Cohen's comedy isn't my cup of tea, but, this series is pretty good, not to mention a true story. Still waiting for the anti-Semites to start condemning Netflix because of this and Red Sea Diving Resort movie.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because his comedy and satire is usually funny, even when crude and way over the top. It isn't always to my taste, but some is.

And now because he has shown he is a good dramatic actor, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:

A bit extremely one dimensional, aren't we?

More than one actor has proven to be versatile. That's the name of their game last time I checked.

SBC did a couple of small serious roles before and was quite good at them.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed it, thanks for the heads up.
I can't believe that someone wouldn't watch it because they didn't like SBC's humor.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
It is interesting that we can really hold a grudge. He retired his Borat and Ali G chacters a number of years ago.

What is interesting is that we can typecast both ways. My dad absolutely refuses to believe that Jeff Daniels The noble teacher in Gettysburg, who fought so valiantly for the Union, is actually the Jeff Daniels from Dumb and Dumber Smile

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I encourage any interested to search out how Eli Cohen’s daughter interview on the film-after you’ve watched the entire series.

I too was quite impressed with the acting of Baron Cohen in this dramatic role.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Regardless of one's personal feelings towards SCB, The Spy is an excellent example of the espionage genre. Admittedly, I viewed the film with the luxury of never having watched the actor in a previous role. With that said, I give the series high marks; on par with Gary Oldman's 2011 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Regardless of one's personal feelings towards SCB, The Spy is an excellent example of the espionage genre. Admittedly, I viewed the film with the luxury of never having watched the actor in a previous role. With that said, I give the series high marks; on par with Gary Oldman's 2011 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

^^^^^
I agree wholeheartedly. We loved it.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:

How does it compare to Munich?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is why I have such disdain for this guy.

https://www.richmond.com/news/...a2-dddc75b05ebe.html

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post