SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance prequal series on Netflix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance prequal series on Netflix Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
Ok, without giving anything away, it's dark, violent and brutal.

It's about what the Skecksis really are and why they are there. The time before the extinction of the Gelflings.

You already know their fate from the 1982 movie so all of their optimism at resistance is brutally futile.

The puppetry is close to Jim Henson, but there is SOME CG and animatronics. They tried to keep it as close to the original world as possible with the exception of the puppet materials.

The voices are spot on with the characters from the original.

Overall it's well done and doesn't feel cheap whatsoever.

I am enjoying it for what it is.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you've never see The Dark Crystal, would you recommend watching the movie first and then the series, or can you watch the series first and then the movie?

(I know chronologically it's a prequel series, but sometimes those require some base knowledge from watching the older source material in order to fully make sense.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If you've never see The Dark Crystal...

Dude... I seem to recall we're about the same age. As a fellow child of the 80's, I'm amazed you haven't seen it. If I'm wrong, I apologize. It's one of the cult must-see Henson movies, for sure.

As for answering your question, I leave it to Marzy, having not watched the prequel yet, but absolutely do watch the movie when you get a chance. I'm going to re-watch it and try to determine if my son is old enough to handle it forthwith.

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I am SO watching this.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Watch The Dark Crystal first. You don't NEED to watch it first, but it would clear up some confusion.

It's on Netflix also. It will explain some of the characters and their life spans.

The season ends with you knowing there is another season coming.

I suspect it will be even more brutal.

I wouldn't allow small children to watch it.

The 1982 Dark Crystal is so far ahead of its time, it does not feel out of place with this series. In fact with the exception of the puppet materials and lack of CG, the transformation is practically timeless.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Cool- time to dust off the original and then watch the new one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Started to watch it...apparently the crystal hasn't cracked yet.

But we have Skeksis. Confused

Where are the Mystics?

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Keep watching......

It IS cracked.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Yea, like the Chamberlain. Big Grin

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Just finished it. I liked it for the eye candy. They did a great job of replicating the original look. The "making of" special is pretty cool.

But it's still puppets. While "dark", I wouldn't call it brutal. Other than the pus/snot from the one Skeksis, it's not particularly gross or gory.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Yea, like the Chamberlain. Big Grin

Simon Pegg from Shaun of the Dead voices him. Smile

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simon Pegg from Shaun of the Dead voices him.

And he's Scotty in the new Star Trek movies with Chris Pine.

Some other voices/names you'll easily recognize:

Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter)
Helen Bonham Carter (Harry Potter)
Mark Hamill (Star Wars)
Toby Jones (voice of Dobby, Harry Potter)
Mark Strong (Kingsman movies, John Carter)
Theo James (Divergent movies)
Benedict Wong (MCU movies)
Sigourney Weaver (Alien movies)

Still watching it, Marzy. It's getting better.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the first episode, though it's really confusing trying to associate voices with characters because they use two actors each to voice some of the characters.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post