SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hulu or?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hulu or? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Have OTA antennas, Amazon Prime and firesticks.

Going to be upgrading internet speeds further soon &, while not considering a cable contract, am considering additional feed(s) to have the world at the fingertips.

The "Last Man Standing" thread got me thinking about Hulu again. I used to have a free membership, but I don't think they do anything free anymore. Thinking of the 1 month free trial for no commercials, $11.99/month.

I know people tend to pick up, binge and cancel netflix, guessing it's the same for Hulu, but I want consistent availability of sports etc..

Thoughts?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Hulu has a lot of content that I didn't have using Amazon Prime; however, I decided to cancel my free trial because the screen resolution on some shows sucked when viewed through my iPad. Also, I purchase shows and movies through iTunes but Hulu kept overriding my purchased content to stream it--causing issues with following along in Apple's TV app. Of course, these are very specific issues that I didn't want to deal with and you might not experience them. There's no harm in doing the no-commercial, free trial so see for yourself.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They open up Metronet over by you all yet??
I am going to give it a shot once they open it up over here since it is fiber to the house and not just fiber back. Or at least that is what the website claims.

But to the original question.
We watch a lot more Netflix than we do Hulu. We have Sprint cellphones so they provide our Hulu membership. Granted it has commercials but they are short and usually can opt to watch one long one at the beginning.

Though I do want to start watching Last Man Standing. We will finish Season 2 of Shooter tonight so we’ll need a new show.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sony PSVUE- they have various packages and prices, but are over half the price of cable and have ALL of the sports channels. Also the advertised price IS the monthly price and you don't have an additional $20 in taxes and fees like cable. No contract so can cancel anytime, free dvr and can use it on up to 4 devices (tablets, streaming devices etc.)

https://www.playstation.com/en...etwork/vue/channels/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Are you looking for Hulu with Live TV? If so, that starts at 39.99/mo. Read good things about it but decided to go with YouTubeTV. You do get access to the whole library plus live TV for the 39.99, so I guess if you're looking at the 11.99 Hulu, it's only 20 more to get live TV.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Great info!!

I'm planning to go to Metronet, but they aren't here yet.

Sprint gives Hulu free? I'll have to look into linking my account then.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i am watching hulu right now
I just have the basic hulu with commercials.
It is okay.

I am catching up on the sitcoms i missed this week.

What does make me upset is that they just changed the whole format, and it is a pain to scroll through now.

I have had it for the past year and only watched it a dozen times. I am going to cancel it pretty soon just because I don't watch it.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i'm coming up on filmstruck renewal (11/16/2018). this will be my third year as i get the annual filmstruck and criterion channel $99 / year [ aka $8.25 / month ]. no question that i'll renew.

you can see what they add here. [ if you see 6 movies in a line, hover curser over the last for the arrow to see the rest ] [ to see if filmstruck has a movie, type it in justwatch's search ]

some of what's coming...
quote:
Michael Hutchins posted on Facebook forthcoming bundles on FilmStruck's main channel through at least October:

Star of the Week:
Cary Grant
Paul Newman
Julie Christie
James Mason
Debbie Reynolds
Greer Garson
Steve McQueen
Lon Chaney
Melvyn Douglas
Jacqueline Bisset

Director of the Week:
Michael Crichton
Alejandro Jodorowsky
Eric Rohmer
Ernst Lubitsch
H. C. Potter
Roberto Rossellini
Mike Newell
Jerry Schatzberg
Terence Fisher
Jacques Tourneur

Themes and Collections:
Soviet Perspectives on WWII
Double Takes
Behind the Music
Cartoon Roots
Movies for Math Lovers
Deep Focus: The Cinematography of Gregg Toland
Telluride Guest Director: Jonathan Lethem
Moments of Truth: The Best of Cinema Verite
Nordic Noir
Outbreak
Cinema Passport: Taiwan
A Star Is Born
Female Filmmaker Friday
The Young and the Restless
Japanese Horror Classics
Cartoon Roots: Halloween Haunts
Emerging Filmmakers: Celia Rowlson-Hall
The Passage
quote:
Complete list of films premiering on the Criterion Channel during September:

September 1
Cul-de-sac, Roman Polanski, 1966
Kes, Ken Loach, 1970

September 4
The Cage, Adrian Sitaru, 2010

September 5
Dead Man, Jim Jarmusch, 1995

September 11
Deer Boy, Katarzyna Gondek, 2017

September 18
When We Lived in Miami, Amy Seimetz, 2013

September 19
Clouds of Sils Maria, Olivier Assayas, 2014

September 25
The Voice Thief, Adan Jodorowsky, 2013
quote:
Complete list of films premiering on the Criterion Channel during October:

October 1
Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Stanley Kubrick, 1964

October 2
My Josephine, Barry Jenkins, 2003

October 16
The Games of the V Olympiad Stockholm, 1912, Adrian Wood, 2016
The Olympic Games Held at Chamonix in 1924, Jean de Rovera, 1924
The Olympic Games as They Were Practiced in Ancient Greece, Jean de Rovera, 1924
The Olympic Games in Paris 1924, Jean de Rovera, 1924
The White Stadium, Arnold Fanck, Othmar Gurtner, 1928
The IX Olympiad in Amsterdam, dir. Unknown, 1928
The Olympic Games, Amsterdam 1928, Wilhelm Prager; supervisor Jules Perel, 1928
Youth of the World, Carl Junghans, 1936
Fight Without Hate, André Michel, 1948
XIVth Olympiad: The Glory of Sport, Castleton Knight, 1948
The VI Olympic Winter Games, Oslo 1952, Tancred Ibsen, 1952
Where the World Meets, Hannu Leminen, 1952
Gold and Glory, Hannu Leminen, 1953
Memories of the Olympic Summer of 1952, dir. Unknown, 1954
Olympic Games, 1956, Peter Whitchurch, 1956
The Melbourne Rendez-vous, René Lucot, 1957
Alain Mimoun, Louis Gueguen, 1959
The Horse in Focus, dir. Unknown, 1956
People, Hopes, Medals, Heribert Meisel, 1960
The Grand Olympics, Romolo Marcellini, 1961
Sensation of the Century, prod. Taguchi Suketaro, supervisor Nobumasa Kawamoto, 1966
Snows of Grenoble, Jacques Ertaud, Jean-Jacques Languepin, 1968
The Olympics in Mexico, Alberto Isaac, 1969
Sapporo Winter Olympics, Masahiro Shinoda, 1972
Games of the XXI Olympiad, Jean-Claude Labrecque, Jean Beaudin, Marcel Carrière, Georges Dufaux, 1977
Olympic Spirit, Drummond Challis, Tony Maylam, 1980
O Sport, You Are Peace! Yuri Ozerov, 1981
A Turning Point, Kim Takal, 1984
Calgary '88: 16 Days of Glory, Bud Greenspan, 1989
Seoul 1988, Lee Kwang-soo, 1989
Hand in Hand, Im Kwon-taek, 1989
Beyond All Barriers, Lee Ji-won, 1989
One Light, One World, Joe Jay Jalbert, R. Douglas Copsey, 1992
Atlanta's Olympic Glory, Bud Greenspan, 1997
Nagano '98 Olympics: Stories of Honor and Glory, Bud Greenspan, 1998
Olympic Glory, Kieth Merrill, 1999
Sydney 2000: Stories of Olympic Glory, Bud Greenspan, 2001
Salt Lake City 2002: Bud Greenspan's Stories of Olympic Glory, Bud Greenspan, 2003
Bud Greenspan's Athens 2004: Stories of Olympic Glory, Bud Greenspan, 2005
Bud Greenspan's Torino 2006: Stories of Olympic Glory, Bud Greenspan, 2007
The Everlasting Flame, Gu Jun, 2010
Bud Greenspan Presents Vancouver 2010: Stories of Olympic Glory, prods. Bud Greenspan, Nancy Beffa, 2010
First, Caroline Rowland, 2012
Seide, Elnura Osmonalieva, 2015

October 23
An Act of Love, Lucy Knox, 2018

October 30
Bath House, Niki Lindroth von Bahr, 2014

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Had never heard of that, thanks F2

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
I got all three. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.

I like Hulu. I like options. $12/mo for commercial free tv. I'll take that allll day long.

Looking forward to season 2 of "The Orville" also enjoyed the 6 seasons of the Amurican Top Gear (not as bad as folks say it was). If you only watch one episode watch the one in Cuba. Check out the super hottie starting the drag races!

I've found on all the streaming services they are all trying to outdo one another and just pack it with content. That's fine, but the quality does suffer a bit.

Even with all three services I'm still WAY under what my cable TV bill was...

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
filmstruck coming and going...

https://www.filmstruck.com/us/watch/filmstruck

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
this just in...

WarnerMedia’s FilmStruck Subscription-Streaming Service to Shut Down 10-26-2018

The FilmStruck indie, arthouse and classic film subscription-streaming service will shut down next month, Turner and Warner Bros. Digital Networks announced Friday.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post