SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars Rogue One SPOILERS.... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Rogue One SPOILERS.... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED Login/Join 
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
To answer the question way back about my age, I'm under 40. I however saw the prequals in theaters, saw 7 in theaters, but have only ever seen the rereleases of the first three and the fancy Blu-ray of 1-6. That being said, I think its more the fact that the whole plot with her father made no damn sense to the damn movie. After talking with people I can honestly say 2/3 of the movie had no relation to the plan to get the death star plans. What was the whole point of Forest Whitaker's character? I think something from 7 sums these up. Who wants to go back to Jacu? Who wants her father dead, why, and how does that even play into getting the plans?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neckbone
posted Hide Post
I really liked it... more than Force Awakens, almost as much as the original 3.

That being said, I didn't care for the CGI cameos. I thought they looked fake, especially Tarken.

Also, what's the point of the heavy vault door to the data storage tower on Scarif if there's a seemingly normal door in a hallway 1 floor up?

I really liked the way they explained the big complaint about the death star's weakness, that it was built in for later sabotage purposes.

Posts: 75 | Registered: March 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Those who didn't care for the CGI Leia and Tarkin, did you see it in regular or 3D? I wonder if there's a correlation.

I saw R1 in iMax, and thought the CGI characters were well-done. (Although I found the 3D itself annoying and distracting to tell you the truth. This is the first movie I've seen in 3D.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I saw it first in IMAX 3d. The Tarkin wasn't nearly as bad, but they could have used less of it or maybe had him in the shadows a little more. The Leia was just done poorly, she looked like a cartoon. It was jarring and ruined the moment for me

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Darth Vader lives in Barad-dûr.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
To answer the question way back about my age, I'm under 40. I however saw the prequals in theaters, saw 7 in theaters, but have only ever seen the rereleases of the first three and the fancy Blu-ray of 1-6. That being said, I think its more the fact that the whole plot with her father made no damn sense to the damn movie. After talking with people I can honestly say 2/3 of the movie had no relation to the plan to get the death star plans. What was the whole point of Forest Whitaker's character? I think something from 7 sums these up. Who wants to go back to Jacu? Who wants her father dead, why, and how does that even play into getting the plans?

I thought the rebels wanted her father dead because he had the knowledge to help the empire build the death star? That's the way I took it anyway. On second thought, I guess if the death star was already built it wouldn't have mattered. You got me.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They want her father dead initially because they don't know the Death Star is real, and if it is, they don't know it works. Later they want him dead because he is the head engineer in the advanced weapons division, and who knows what he's making for them now.

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
What was the whole point of Forest Whitaker's character?

He actually made his first appearance in the Clone Wars cartoon. His rebel cell was trained by the Jedi to fight Separatist Occupiers. In a recent episode of Rebels, a tactical droid points out, rightly, that the Empire basically became what everyone was fighting against all those years ago. Seems pretty logical from their point of view anyway.

quote:
Who wants her father dead, why, and how does that even play into getting the plans?

I was assuming that it was his idea to put together the kyber crystal weapon within the deathstar itself, or at least make it work. It's hard to know without the official lore guys giving up the goods. Especially since someone had the plans or something close to the plans on the planet with all the bugs in episode 2 / 3 of the prequels.

Personally I want to know what happened on Geonosis(sp). They show up there in Rebels to grab something from an orbiting platform and neither of the jedi can sense anything on the planet, and Chopper scans ZERO life forms. Did they all get zombified by the worms? Wiped out by the Empire?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Upon second viewing, I have to say, that Hammerhead Corvette maneuver is still the best damned thing I've seen in a space battle.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:What was the whole point of Forest Whitaker's character? I think something from 7 sums these up. Who wants to go back to Jacu? Who wants her father dead, why, and how does that even play into getting the plans?

Saw Gerra and his sister (not in movie) were long time rebel fighters, occasionally aligned with the Alliance. He was close friends with the Erso's and as we saw in the opening prologue, Gerrera 'cared' for Jyn after Galen was taken away and Lara was killed.

Galen told Bode Rook (defecting pilot who flew crystals between Eadu and Jedda) to take his message to Gerrera on Jedda, whom he assumed was tight with the Alliance and had Jyn close by. They'd pass his info onto the Alliance leadership, and they could form up a mission to steal the schematics and discover the best way to exploit the flaw. Galen had no idea that the Alliance would use Jyn to get them to connect the dots to Gerrera whom they diverged on strategy in fighting the Empire. As Jyn would say with Gerrera when asked why she's there in Jedda, after she airs out her gripes about him, I'm just here to open the door, well, here it is, I'm done. Then Gerrera tells her he has a message from Galen and she changes her outlook right there after viewing the hologram. Galen had no idea Jyn would be central to executing this plan, he assumed Gerrera or, somebody in the Alliance would be the one.

Jakku was in The Force Awakens.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
A "battle bridge" may have been added as an afterthough kind of thing.

It's an integral part of the ship, far below the main hull, with windows all around so the Admiral can see in a 270 degree arc, below and to the front, aft and sides.

It really is a stupid idea for a warship, frankly.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
A "battle bridge" may have been added as an afterthough kind of thing.

It's an integral part of the ship, far below the main hull, with windows all around so the Admiral can see in a 270 degree arc, below and to the front, aft and sides.

It really is a stupid idea for a warship, frankly.

I believe you may have missed the point of my post, which was that (again unless something has changed dramatically) the Rebels didn't HAVE warships. Their command ships were re-purposed luxury liners, medical frigates, etc.

In a lot of the EU books/games (no longer canon, of course) it makes a point of the battle bridges being former observation decks and spaces originally designed to give passengers full view of space. Rebel commanders turned them into battle bridges for that same LOS, but they weren't originally designed as such.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really liked the black 'droid.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I really didn't like it. It wasn't 'bad,' but it was a let-down. I was soooo excited watching Force Awakens; this one just missed the mark.

The CGI on Leia and Tarkin was just too jarring. They did better CGI on Tron in 2010 and Ant Man last year; EVERY TIME I saw Tarkin's face, it made me think I was inside a video game. Leia's face was just like getting a big wet towel slapped across my face. I think I physically jumped when she turned to face the screen.

I couldn't follow the story. It was way too convoluted. "Get to Forrest Whittaker's place so he can something-something because reasons reasons and then go to a planet where it rains a lot, then crash for no reason whatsoever, then have yet another HUGE coincidence so that Jin is there when her father dies, then go back to Yavin, then go to Planet Florida and do some other stuff that didn't make sense.

If they wanted a covert op, they shouldn't have started shooting. It would be MUCH better to go in while everybody is lax and complacent, than to put the ENTIRE base on alert with a pointless attack. Then, pilot guy had to do something risky, then blind guy had to do something risky, so Jin could do something risky (I can't remember all their names), and bla bla bla everybody dies but it all works out.

I did love when Vader showed up and kicked everybodys' butts. And the Hammerhead Corvette move was pretty cool. Then everybody died, and I didn't care. . .

I give it a 7/10.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I kind of agree with Hound Dog. I was pretty bored the first half of the movie. I only really enjoyed the attack on Scarif and the space battle above.

The whole premise behind Galen Erso's involvement with the Empire is flawed. They should have just made him evil and not given him a redemption story. Make him a devout Nazi like character that does indeed love his daughter. Jyn sees that she has to do something about her father as she sees the evil within him and lets herself be used to get to him.

That would have been a much better first half.

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I want to know why computer data has to be physically removed from the storage device in the future. And why is the storage device a tower in an open shaft 1000 feet tall?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I want to know why computer data has to be physically removed from the storage device in the future. And why is the storage device a tower in an open shaft 1000 feet tall?

Hackers? I'm sure in a galaxy far far away that cyber security is an issue too.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed it. Plot holes and nonsense run rampant within the Star Wars movies but Rogue 1 wasn't nearly as bad about it as the force awakens, return of the Jedi or the prequels.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Hackers? I'm sure in a galaxy far far away that cyber security is an issue too.
What made you think the story took place in the future? Every Star Wars films are about the past. "A long time ago..."

They are all hamstrung by their legacy. The franchise has evolved into semi-steampunk.

Posts: 2661 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Originally it was a story told by an immortal being called the Whills. Star Wars was a chapter of the Book of Whills, which was like a history of the galaxy. The movie Willow was another chapter, originally supposed to a tale of the first Jedi.

So it's not the future. There is a mix of what we would call old tech and new sci fi tech.