SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Amazon Prime Sub Expires In Eleven Days. With What To Replace It?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Prime Sub Expires In Eleven Days. With What To Replace It? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Our Amazon Prime subscription, cancelled back when they booted Parler off AWS, finally expires in eleven days. Looking for a streaming service with which to replace it.

We already have NetFlix, PBS Passport, and OAN.

Not interested in sports in the least.

Expensive bundled streaming packages (YouTube TV, Hulu+, DirectTV, and the like) are not and will not be under consideration.

What would you recommend, and why?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Why let it expire over that?

If you quit everything because of their politics, you'll have nothing to watch AND will starve to death too.

My wife now hates Netflix for whatever reason and wants to cancel it, but we use it nearly every day. I'm not cancelling it.

BTW, Apple has brought Parler back onto the App Store

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only after Parler ousted the CEO, changed the platform, made new rules regarding censoring posts and deleting members,

Apple and Amazon forced Parler into being different and playing by their rules or cease to exist...

Who are we to challenge the great and powerful OZ.....

A tip on streaming services, several have tied offers for free access to cell carriers, so if you have a phone coming up off contract, look at the different carriers, My SIL has Sprint and he gets free Hulu.

Check around to see who has joint marketing deals with the streaming services.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Jailbroke firestick with a VPN.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The primary reason I first signed up is for the free shipping.
The Prime Video wasn't much at that time.
It has grown but it wouldn't kill me to lose and I watch Netflix much more.
Still I am not one to cut off my nose to spite my face.
I would keep it especially for the Amazon commerce part but there are quite a few good shows and originals on Prime Video.
Sorry no help for a replacement here.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Why let it expire over that?

I've been unhappy with Amazon and reducing my purchasing from them for the last year or so, anyway. This was merely the straw that broke the camel's back.

quote:
If you quit everything because of their politics, ...

Likewise: If you just *shrug* and say "If I quit everything because...", nothing will ever change.

quote:

Too little, too late. Apple TV+ will be allowed to expire when the free trial is up, too.

And don't think there aren't series on both platforms I'm very unhappy to leave behind, either. But this is a sacrifice I feel must be made.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Still I am not one to cut off my nose to spite my face.

I'm not killing my Amazon account entirely. Just Amazon Prime. It's an unfortunate fact that there are some things one simply cannot get anywhere else. (And, if that isn't a reason to start shopping elsewhere, I don't know what is.) I hardly buy anything from Amazon, anymore, anyway.

Anyway... I guess nobody has any suggestions? Thanks for the follow-ups, anyway.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I think Hulu has a bit to offer and it's relatively inexpensive even without the Disney ESPN+ bundle.

And I hate to burst your bubble, but Netflix is not a shinning light as far as left leaning politics.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/ar...-politics-of-netflix

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
HBO Max is what I would get. Especially if you've never had HBO or seen their originals. There are years' worth of great shows on HBO and some of their current ones are good, as well. Plus you get some same-day-as-theaters releases, TCM library, and a few hundred movies that rotate through.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HBO Max has a robust library of original content (Rome, Sopranos, GoT, etc...)and they've got a slate of more releases (Dune, Got, etc) coming up in the next year.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I think Hulu has a bit to offer and it's relatively inexpensive even without the Disney ESPN+ bundle.

We've had Hulu before. Found it more-or-less worthless. Particularly since we don't need their live content as we have good OTA TV reception and a capable whole-house networked DVR.

quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
And I hate to burst your bubble, but Netflix is not a shinning light as far as left leaning politics.

*sigh*... You're not bursting any of my bubbles. I hold no illusions regarding NetFlix. I don't care about NetFlix' politics. I don't care about Amazon's politics. I don't care about Apple's politics.

Again, for the slower among us: I was on the verge of dumping Amazon Prime, anyway, for other reasons. Their deplatforming Parler was simply the last straw.

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
HBO Max is what I would get.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
HBO Max ...

Thanks for the recommendations. This jibes with the direction I was leaning.

posted Hide Post
I agree with HBO Max. It's included with my fiber plan and has a lot of stuff to watch. I watch it more than Prime.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I added HBO / HBO Max via my Prime account last year because my roommate wanted to see GOT. There was enough other good content there that we kept it going. We probably watch 40% HBO, 40% Prime, 10% Netflix and 10% OTA.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post