Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remakes Login/Join 
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted
We all have hatred for movies that are remade of ones that are our favorites.
There are also some remakes that are better. Such as the Island of Doctor Moreau. The remake is better than the original in my opinion.

So what movies can you think of that should be remade? The answer can include technical reasons.

For me it would be The Highlander. I liked the characters. I didn't like the clarity of the film the used. The film seemed improperly pieced together. Soundtrack was great.

Whats your choices?

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What's the remake for Highlander? Or do you mean the one with Sean Connery is the remake of the 1959 movie?

For my picks:
Dredd (remake of Judge Dredd)
Batman Begins/The Dark Knight (remake of the Batman movies before them)
Appleseed (remake of Appleseed)

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Logan's Run...

I thought it was a pretty good movie for its time. However the book is much better and with modern effects, it could be re-made following the books story line more closely.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3924 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
What remakes do we like?

3:10 to Yuma, I liked the new one better

What would I like to see remade?

They Live

its hard to beat Roddy Piper. But a modern big budget redo could be awesome

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Man on Fire, 2004 version with Denzel Washington was much better than the 1987 European version. Denzel is Creasy.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the third Alien movie remade. Everything after Aliens was soul draining garbage.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
please someone do 'Starship Troopers' correctly...

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Clear and Present Danger, my favorite Tom Clancy novel. The movie sucked more than a Whitehouse intern and really didn't follow the book.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to see a big-budget version of Hitchcock's The Birds. I know when he was first developing the film, Hitchcock wanted to have scenes of birds taking over San Francisco, but he didn't have the budget or technology to show that. Now we can show scenes like that fairly easily.

There's a caveat though. I'd want the remake to be done correctly and capably by a director who is skilled in bigger-budgeted suspense fare, like a Spielberg or Nolan or Fincher. But, what would happen in reality is that it would get handed to some hack like Roland Emmerich to churn out some lightweight silly throwaway PG-13 family-friendly spectacle starring The Rock, and that's not the idea I have for this film at all!

Instead, they've wrongly remade some of Hitchcock's classics in the past like Psycho and Rear Window, and I'm like, "No, don't touch those! Remake The Birds!"

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
We all have hatred for movies that are remade of ones that are our favorites.
There are also some remakes that are better. Such as the Island of Doctor Moreau. The remake is better than the original in my opinion.
are you comparing that to the original Island of Lost Souls (1932)? Charles Laughton, Bela Lugosi. I don't think the 1977 or the 1996 remakes compare favorably at all.

What is the law?

Not to eat meat, that is the law. Are we not men?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Dune could be done better now than it was then.

I like the old one okay - but special effects have progressed beyond what they were back then...

Has there been a really decent attempt at a frankenstein movie lately ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
The remake of "Of Mice and Men". was good.

As was the remake of "True Grit".

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I think an awesome remake would be Go For Broke if produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks.

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

this, in spades

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Dune could be done better now than it was then.

I like the old one okay - but special effects have progressed beyond what they were back then...

Has there been a really decent attempt at a frankenstein movie lately ?

didn't sci fi channel do a remake of Dune as a miniseries,

remember it but did not watch it,

when the original came out, it was amazing, to me the late teenager who had read the book a couple times in highschool,

went to see it with a friend that had also read the book,

helped us with some of the pronunciations in the book

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

I agree - that is among the best examples of a 're-make' being done correctly.

great movie - both versions

John Wayne because he is - well - John Wayne

But I think Jeff Bridges actually played a more realistic 'dirty - nasty' Rooster Cogburn

great scene here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rnaa9qtGgs

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

this, in spades

+100000

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

I, too like the remake more than the original, which I feel was more a vehicle for John Wayne. Not that I don’t enjoy watching it. However, given the choice, I’d prefer to watch the remake.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
As do I (as much as I like the Duke)...also, I liked the origional Lady Killers I also liked the Cohen brother's remake (don't hate me) Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
I've always wanted to see a big-budget version of Hitchcock's The Birds. I know when he was first developing the film, Hitchcock wanted to have scenes of birds taking over San Francisco, but he didn't have the budget or technology to show that. Now we can show scenes like that fairly easily.

There's a caveat though. I'd want the remake to be done correctly and capably by a director who is skilled in bigger-budgeted suspense fare, like a Spielberg or Nolan or Fincher. But, what would happen in reality is that it would get handed to some hack like Roland Emmerich to churn out some lightweight silly throwaway PG-13 family-friendly spectacle starring The Rock, and that's not the idea I have for this film at all!

Instead, they've wrongly remade some of Hitchcock's classics in the past like Psycho and Rear Window, and I'm like, "No, don't touch those! Remake The Birds!"

Seeing Fincher's take on a Hitchcock film would be fantastic.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post