SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Taking a tilt at Kurosawa and Mizoguchi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking a tilt at Kurosawa and Mizoguchi Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
Claiming to be a fan of Kurosawa but only having seen about six of thirtyeight (?) films lacks intellectual honesty. So I am making a project of requesting the less available DVDs through Inter-Library-Loan. While browsing Kurosawa's films I encountered Mizoguchi. So his films are now also in the project. Only $2.00 fee per film.

Of these lesser known films "Ikuru" and "Ugetsu" are the standouts. "Men Who Tread on the Tails of Tigers" and "Life of Oharu" are each excellent in their own way. Mizoguchi's "Last Chrysthaneum" soon.

The usual pattern is to ILL 2 Kurosawa and one Mizoguchi.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mr kablammo,

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
While I love the samurai movies, Dersu Uzala is a favorite. Maybe because I saw it as a first run, at a particular age (I was 12), it left an impression.

A worthwhile investment of your time.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Cheating and looking at IMDB, I've seen...

Rhapsody in August
Dreams
Ran
Kagemusha
Dersu Uzala
Dodes'ka-den
Red Beard
High and Low
Sanjuro (partially)
Yojimbo
The Bad Sleep well
The Hidden Fortress
The Lower Depths
Throne of Blood
Seven Samurai
The idiot
Roshomon
Stray Dog
No regrets of our youth

Wow. I never would have guessed that many. I did much like you, watched most of them through the library in the late 90's.

I second Dersu Uzala, it's a special movie for me,one I own. One that lead me to read the book it's based on as well.

I watched a LOT of foreign films for a couple years there, keeping a list as I did. Occasionally I will run across the list and there are some I have no recollection of. I'll look them up on IMDB and still only have the vaguest recollection. lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Wait until you discover Ozu.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Still on the project, despite the subtitles. Just finished Quiet Duel. Toshiro Mifune was quite young in that one.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post