SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What makes a complete AR15 collection?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What makes a complete AR15 collection? Login/Join 
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Turn back the clock:
GAU-5 Or XM177

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Scar either 16 or 17
if the 16
AR 7.62 of some sort based on budget
A Colt 6720
the fourth would be either a Colt 6933 sbr or similar.
Or
A Noveske Basic Recce or similar midlength.

Both wrong! Spring for the ultimate, a circa '72 Model 639.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
1: 16” do-all carbine.
2: 11.5” HD/Riot pistol/SBR.
3: 20” scoped DMR/target rifle.
4: Meme blaster that tickles your pickle.

This is where my brain went as well. My imagination is failing me on a the 4th though.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
308 unless that is a separate category. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
<snip ... A bunch>
Both wrong! Spring for the ultimate, a circa '72 Model 639.

Is that really fair Dan?
I mean, yeah ... It says AR15 ... But that extra little hole makes it an M16, unless I'm mistaken?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
...what each AR's primary purpose would be...

Knowing what I know now, assuming I'd have to start all over again, due to that ever possible tragic boating accident.

My ARs are built for competition. I expect them to be highly accurate and to cycle flawlessly. They must withstand the rigors of fast paced-shooting at multiple targets at various distances, while getting bumped around and knocked to the ground. If they can handle this, they can handle any other situation I can imagine.

Common denominators with all rifles -- match-quality stainless steel barrels (say Krieger or Bartlein), 223 or Wylde chambers in AR-15s, 1/7.5 to 1/8 twist for AR-15, threaded for QD suppressors, flat-top upper, with MLok rails, no iron sights, with bipod, quality sling.

#1 -- 16" mid-length gas, mid-weight barrel, 223. LPV optic -- maybe a NF 1-8x. Collapsible buttstock. Good for contact through 500 yards.

#2 -- 18" rifle-length gas, mid-weight or slightly heavier barrel, 223. Mid-power optic, maybe 2x or 3x on the low end, maybe 12x to 15x on the high end. ED glass. Collapsible buttstock, but a more solid and heavier one than on the 16" AR-15. Good for 5-10 yards out to 600 yards.

#3 -- 20" rifle-length gas, heavy weight barrel, 223. Higher power optic, can be 4x or 5x on the low end, maybe 16x to 20x on the high end. ED glass. Solid buttstock, essentially a Magpul PRS. This is true precision rifle, capable of 1/2 MOA up close. Can shoot to 800 yards effectively in calm conditions.

#4 -- 24" +2 gas system, heavy weight barrel, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6 Creedmoor. High power optic, roughly 5-25x, ED glass. Magpul PRS buttstock or similar. A true long distance, precision semi-auto. Capable of hanging with bolt action rifles with the right shooter. Capable of accurate fire to 1,000 yards.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have three now, a stock 20" Colt A2, a 16" carbine with carbine gas system and the old standard round plastic handguards and an old Aimpoint Comp-M4 RDS, and one that's set up as a Highpower match rifle with a 26" bbl, free-floated heavy solid aluminum handguard, Geissele single stage trigger, A1 stock with an adjustable buttplate, and aperture sights. I don't shoot Highpower anymore, so if I was starting over or re-constructing my collection, this is probably what I'd go with:

1. A lighter weight 14.5" or 16" carbine, probably mid-length gas, with a lightweight MLok or Keymod handguard, WML and a micro Aimpoint or Trijicon RDS. I'd probably re-purpose my existing carbine lower here rather than build a whole new rifle.

2. 18 or 20" DMR/SPR/MK-12 type with a bipod and good glass for varmints and maybe the occasional mid-range match. Maybe re-purpose the match rifle lower for this and build a new upper for it.

3. 20" SP-1 or A1 just because they're really cool.

4. Not sure about this one, but I'm thinking either a pistol or SBR in maybe .300BO with a WML and a good laser, micro RDS, plus a can, for HD and general fun.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
1. - 11.5" (either pistol or SBR) with a silencer and a red dot, white light and a sling. Bedside/truck gun.

2. - 16" mid length with a LPVO, capable of accepting the same silencer as the 11.5", with a white light and a sling.

3. - 20" precision rifle, with a good quality appropriate optic (2-10, 3-15 or thereabouts). A bipod is handy. Need to feed it good ammo or you are wasting your time if you want to shoot at extended distances (500-800 with a 223).

4. - A fun gun for whatever tickles your fancy. For me that would be a dedicated 3-gun rifle with all the go-fast parts. For some it might be a retro build. For others it might be a 22lr AR.

All of the above should have a good quality single stage trigger, that breaks cleanly and resets crisply.

Free float handguards are nice. Not a necessity except for the precision rifle, but nice to have.

The stock, grip and optic mount should allow you to fit the rifle to your body size. If you are 6' 5" , you need a lot of LOP on your stock. If you are 5' 6", you probably don't want an A2 stock. I am a big fan of Magpul UBR stocks. Not a huge fan of super lightweight rifles. I do more shooting than hiking. If I were going to carry my AR over a mountaintop, I would shave some weight.

Optics should be high quality. I would much prefer to have half the guns with optics of 2x the quality. Over the last few years my overall quantity of guns has decreased and I have purchased high quality optics and mounts for pretty much everything I still have.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think every AR Collection has to include a baseline SP-1 Clone AR-15.
Mine is based on a USGI 1-12 Colt A-1 Upper with all USGI Furniture on a Rock River Lower and base-level Rock River Trigger system.
The chromed bolt adds to the effort for an authentic Viet Nam M-16A1 Semi.

An old IDF surplus Scope on top finishes it off, imho.

100% reliable and very accurate with mil-spec 55 fmj's.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the lever action folks include many different calibers in their "collections"

how many calibers are the AR15's made ?

example:
Winchester 1886 45-70,
Winchester 94 30-30, Winchester 94 357mag, Winchester 88 308 ,
Marlin 39 22 rimfire, Marlin 25-20, Marlin 32-20,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

See RogueJSK's response:

What calibers can I use with an AR15 lower?

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
the lever action folks include many different calibers in their "collections"

example:
Winchester 1886 45-70,
Winchester 94 30-30, Winchester 94 357mag, Winchester 88 308 ,
Marlin 39 22 rimfire, Marlin 25-20, Marlin 32-20,

Yeah you could certainly fill a bunch of niches if you wanted with the AR platform.

450 or 500 for hunting large game up close.

6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel for longer range medium game.

22 Nosler or 224 Valkyrie for varmint hunting.

300 Blackout for versatility.

All the pistol calibers.

All the rimfire calibers.

And a plethora of other options.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how to say this, especially when serious members here lay out four gun ideas. But there is no way that 4 will ever be a complete collection. just sayin. sorry to bother anyone on this thread.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your list covers it OP, at least in 5.56. I'd make #4 a .22 version.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. 10.5" bbl, 5.56, carbine gas system with a WML, red dot, and sling. This would be for when I needed something handy and light to maneuver around a house or to have in a vehicle.

I'd go to 11.5" and add a short suppressor. It won't be 'quiet' but you can shoot it suppressed without hearing protection several times.

Then a 14.5 Pinned or 16" Midlength as a GP rifle with 1-6/1-8 LPV optic.

308 Thumper in some capacity. SCAR, MWS, KAC, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm not sure how to say this, especially when serious members here lay out four gun ideas. But there is no way that 4 will ever be a complete collection. just sayin. sorry to bother anyone on this thread.

Oh come on hrcjon ... technically you could get by with 2 ... one a collapsible stock and the other a fixed.

And a whole bunch of uppers!
These hang on the wall just because I'm trying to avoid a 4th safe, and I've added a few since this was taken ... the beltfed and at least 1 more 300AAC

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But there is no way that 4 will ever be a complete collection.

It depends on the owner. One man's collection may be another man's bare minimum, which may be another man's inordinate horde. I admit that I have more than 4 ARs/uppers. But definitely a smaller group of ARs than some own.

I acquire my rifles with a purpose in mind. I don't buy them to collect dust in the safe -- they get shot. This week my 'smith is replacing a 223 barrel that is shot out. It's the second AR-15 barrel I've replaced. I'd rather have a handful of ARs that I really know how to shoot, than dozens of ones that I'm less familiar with. Based on the rate I toss rounds down range, I won't need new barrels next year. However, in two years I will likely have to replace barrels on two other uppers.

Collections and other long guns...
A buddy probably has 15 bolt action rifles that can be used in various forms of competitions. I have 2 -- a 308 for practice and a 6.5mm for competition. My ideal "collection" would be to keep the 6.5 for the long haul, convert the 308 to a 6mm to use in matches where recoil is an issue, acquire a 7mm or .30-cal magnum for ELR matches, and acquire a .223 Remy or .22lr as a training/practice rifle. That's it -- four rifles could get the job done.

Another buddy probably has a dozen PCP rifles that he has used for competition and training. These aren't the Bass Pro cheapie rifles, either. For him, that's likely an adequate collection. I'd like one high-end PCP as a training rifle -- for the basement, and for short-distance uber-silent outdoor practice. My "collection" would almost certainly be one Raw Air Weapons 10-shot repeater rifle with a great scope.

Collections can be of almost any size, depending on the owner. And his pocketbook.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please go back and read the op. Its a hypothetical question designed to help me decide on what to build next.
I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some to simply play along rather than posting statements like this.
Please keep these types of posts out of this thread.

posted Hide Post
My post was completely tongue in cheek following the post about how many calibers an AR is available in. With uppers as kimberkid points out its kind of different situation than many guns. You want 5.56 only options or others?
Me personally I'd use #4 for something in another caliber. Since uppers are easy to change to get .22 for example, I'd use the fourth slot for something that requires a nonstandard lower like one for glock mags and 9mm. I think pistol caliber AR's are a hoot myself. But if .308 is one of the options as was also asked I'd consider that a viable alternative.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
My post was completely tongue in cheek following the post about how many calibers an AR is available in. With uppers as kimberkid points out its kind of different situation than many guns. You want 5.56 only options or others?
Me personally I'd use #4 for something in another caliber. Since uppers are easy to change to get .22 for example, I'd use the fourth slot for something that requires a nonstandard lower like one for glock mags and 9mm. I think pistol caliber AR's are a hoot myself. But if .308 is one of the options as was also asked I'd consider that a viable alternative.

I'm just trying to stay on topic much like the no comments rule in the meme thread. Didn't mean to sound so snarky. Smile
Yes I know that many here, myself included, would like to have 30 or more rifles in our collections. That should be a given considering the audience. Cool
As far as calibers and other options you tell me. If you had to start your AR collection from scratch right now and hypothetically could only have 4 how would you outfit them? Could be different purposes, bbl lengths, calibers, or 4 identical rifles. What are your needs?

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
So seems like a lot of people here have the same idea.
1. 10.5-11.5" SBR/Pistol
2. 14.5-16" GP Carbine
3. 18-20" Precision/DMR
4. Mixed bag