SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any 556 Owners Still Around
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 556 Owners Still Around Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Still have mine to- have had only a handful of opportunities to fire it. if it has 140 rds through it I would be shocked

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have my 556r

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Still have my swat and 5.56 pistol. The pistol goes on every road trip with me which means it is on the road every week.

I ran 3 classes with the swat before I handled Jones's AR with a T-1 on it. My 50th birthday was coming up so I soon had a AR with a T-1 on it.

Then I learned about building them and down the rabbit hole I went.

The swat will always have a place in my safe. Built like a tank and runs like a fine swiss watch. The only issues I ever had with it was the sig mags which were the only thing available in 2009 when I bought at the worst possible time. It now wears a 1-4 scope and I have a load developed for it with 75gr pills that it loves. Great for popping pigs...

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a number of them over the years, starting with the first 556 release with the AR stock and fishgill handguard, but pared it down to only three:

551A1, the Swiss 551 clone I wanted in the first place.

556xi in 7.62x39, because it's in 7.62x39 and I have enough other guns in 5.56.

522, because it's a nice non-AR tactical 22.

Posts: 3319 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
Still have my 556 classic and 522 classic. Only thing I have done to mine is replaced the grip with the Hogue.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a 556 Classic SWAT and a 522. I shoot the 522 all the time, but rarely the 556. Any idea what a 556 Classic SWAT in excellent condition would bring nowadays? I'm looking to build a .308 ...

Posts: 10 | Location: Alabama | Registered: November 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Update. I no longer have two 556's. In the time it took this thread to get to
page 3, I sent my gen 1 swat patrol in for warranty work. They could not fix the gas block being out of alignment and said the rifle was defective.
I'm now the owner of a m400 elite with a Romeo 5. Nice rifle but not a 556.

Sig CS is fantastic and although the outcome was not exactly what I had hoped for, it was a joy to deal with a company that did everything they could to please a customer.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Hudge:
Update. I no longer have two 556's. In the time it took this thread to get to
page 3, I sent my gen 1 swat patrol in for warranty work. They could not fix the gas block being out of alignment and said the rifle was defective.
I'm now the owner of a m400 elite with a Romeo 5. Nice rifle but not a 556.

Sig CS is fantastic and although the outcome was not exactly what I had hoped for, it was a joy to deal with a company that did everything they could to please a customer.

Jeez, your luck with them on the 556 has been better than mine. I bought mine when they first came out about 10 years ago. They did not come with sights back then so I used an EOtech. Several years later I bought some aurora sights and had to move my rear sight all the way to the right and the front sight to the left. I sent it back to SIG twice, the first time being told that if I can adjust the sights to be on target, then it is fine. The second time they told me they fired the rifle with a leupold scope (not the iron sights) on it and found no problems.
I really wanted to shoot this rifle with the SIG 550 type sights on it. Everything else on this rifle has been perfect but it sucks trying to get a sight picture when the sights are have to be adjusted so far of center.

On the bright side... customer service did send me a new 716 to replace my old 716 that I had to send back.

Posts: 247 | Location: Pinellas County, Florida | Registered: August 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sent it back to SIG twice, the first time being told that if I can adjust the sights to be on target, then it is fine.

(Shaking his head) It may have been touted as a "more sophisticated" version of the AK, but that's downright silly on a $1,000 rifle.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! So glad to see other owners still are on board.

I have the matched set of 556 and 522 SWAT rifles. i even got an ACOG and a mini-ACOG for the 556 and 522, respectively, to further the 'twin' theme.

I know they are earlier production and may still have some of the earlier issues (the 522 still has the old bolt/guide rod with the e-clip) but i have not had any problems with regard to failures or breakdowns.

The main issue I had with my 556 was that the machining was such that the rifle was very hard to disassemble and get back together. A little sandpaper fixed that.

i admit I haven't shot them much recently but I find them very nice to shoot, especially with Art's triggers installed.

Given the age of that setup, is there anything i should know or be prepared for? like get the right guide rod for the 522, for example?

EDIT: I was reminded of an issue by re-reading a post above...I had to send in my 556 due to a gas block that was so canted I couldn't use the irons. it was reinstalled and is now better but still canted. The sight is all the way off to one side but at least i can sight it in. I'm not super happy with Sig's half-hearted repair but i still really do like the rifle.

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

I am cleaning up two 556 SCM's now that I got in 2008 (marriage, kids, divorce got in he way.) I put SIG diopters on one and Samson flip ups on the other. Both have Magpul MOE fixed carbine stocks and Hogue grips, which are a great ergonomic combination. I have the SIG 55x forend on one and will soon have the same on the other. What other upgrades should I look for? I am looking for an extended magazine release.

Now to get them to the range and hope I don't encounter any functional issues that others have...

Ian

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ian Douglas,

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
Still have my swat and 5.56 pistol. The pistol goes on every road trip with me which means it is on the road every week.

Mark

Wish I had picked up a 556 pistol back in the day.

Oh well.

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
Nice collection, I have the 556 xi and love it

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Still going strong.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6956 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 189 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: December 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aramos1322:
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

I miss the 556 patrol swat I had. I had to sell it when i moved to CT. Then after I moved to VA I picked up a 556R.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve still got a 1st gen with a real low serial # that I shoot a few times a year. Mine runs great with everything, but loves heavier weight bullets.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Still have my early SIG 556 SN 3xxx. Changed the butt sick to a magpul ctr, the hand guards to Swiss 551 hand guards. Installed a fold down front sight and an ARMS rear sight. Made it a much better handling carbine. Only let down either wth tailored hand loads or fgmm 69 grain ammo and 4x TA31F scope than a Nightforce nxs 2-10x scope could never get 5 shot groups consistently under 2moa. Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: samnev,

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samnev:
Still have my early SIG 556 SN 3xxx. Changed the but sick to a magpul car, the hand guards to Swiss style hand guards switched to the classic hand guards. Installed a fold down front sight and an ARMS rear sight. Made it a much better handling carbine. Only let down either wth tailored hand loads or fgmm 59 grain ammo and 4x TA31F scope than a Nightforce nxs 2-10x scope could never get 5 shot groups consistently under 2moa. Confused

I've got a SN 108x that I had done pretty much the same thing to, then when I bought a 2nd gen I put the "old one" back to stock ... except it still has the MagPul trigger guard. I seem to remember it shot pretty around 1.25" with both 55's and 69's

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5699 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Have a Gen 2 556R and a 522.
Both been great rifles just hoping nothing breaks on them.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post