SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Requesting Guidance: AR10 Muzzle Devices And Metal Magazines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Requesting Guidance: AR10 Muzzle Devices And Metal Magazines Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
Can anybody suggest a good multi-pronged muzzle device that can be timed for an Armalite .308 AR? There's a Smith Vortex on hand, but it would be nice to have a bottom prong consistently parallel to the ground and AAC (which was either recently bought or part of that whole Remington bankruptcy?) seems pretty much AWOL.

I was also wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about the metal DPMS/SR5-pattern .308 AR mags that are out there. The easy answer is MagPul, of course, but are there metal mags available that are substantially better?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of Surefire's Warcomp muzzle devices. They actually perform as advertised. 50% recoil reduction & virtually no flash at all. (even on my 11.5" AR. They have a 3 prong & a closed style.
They are expensive but worth every penny.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
What / Which AAC device are you looking for ??

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I run a Precision Armament EFAB on mine.

The only metal mags that I have found for a reasonable price that worked are D&H mags, I think I got them at Brownells.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you looking for in a muzzle device? Flash hider? Comp? Brake? Almost any muzzle device can be timed with shims, so not sure how that fits into it.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I like Knights, LaRue, and DPMS for metal magazines.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
What / Which AAC device are you looking for ??

Non-mount multi-prong .308 flash suppressor. There seem to be a couple options - one shorter (meant for the .300BLK?), that I had to doublecheck was not meant for a 9mm, and one longer. I got one of the shorter ones for a 6.8, but couldn't find more and didn't see any of the longer ones.

Gentlemen, I apologize for not saying so earlier, but I really hate brakes and don't really want either a brake or a compensator.

quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
What are you looking for in a muzzle device?

Just a multi-prong flash suppressor. I don't need a brake or to accommodate a sound suppressor. As for the bit about shims, this is the first time I've gone looking for a non-Smith Vortex and a non-AK muzzle device.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muzzle devices can be easily timed with shims. I've never seen the need to time flash hiders, as they really don't put out gas pressure like a brake does. Furthermore, brakes are timed to push gas in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. With 3 and 4 prong flash hiders, there is no way to keep all the gas going parallel or away from the ground.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another that uses the surefire FH and am totally happy. To the above post I think the idea that metal mags have issues is unfounded. I have quite a few of various brands and no issue. The real deal SR25's are a cut above in quality to my judgement. But I don't have issues with the lancers or magpuls either. to the OP's question I don't see any substantial advantage to metal ones, but I don't abuse .308 mags like I do some other types. And I haven't had fit issues with the polymer ones in the AR10 size that have been a problem for some other guns.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
DansSigs, FWIW, I'm definitely working with an AR10A.

It looks like Surefire will be the subject of the next hunt, but if anyone else likes anything different then please say so. I'm more than happy to have options.

As for the metal mags, I don't particularly mind if I wind up sticking with polymer - I got curious because I genuinely didn't know if there was any advantage or disadvantage either way, and because Magpul's the first company that I've ever known to claim that their magazine "will last the life of your barrel". (Yes, I know the odds against ever shooting out a barrel. I'm no exception, either, in that I like shooting different guns, but I can't imagine why a mag wouldn't long outlast a barrel as long as it isn't damaged and the spring is replaced as needed. Can you tell I like AKs?)

I have to admit I hadn't even looked at the Lancers before starting this thread. I know their 5.56 mags have impressed a lot of people favorably, but I've never gotten around to trying them. Will definitely give some a try, but will probably stay away from the clear ones just because clear mags always seem to be the polymer mags that give manufacturers trouble.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Well, a quick whip-around on the internet seems to indicate that there are no more DPMS mags available. I've got a tale of my own (mysteriously disappeared BCG that they only charged me $164 to replace), but even CDNN doesn't have their mags.

Knight's? I can't even afford them.

ETA: Does anyone happen to know anything about Lancers' steel mags?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
...and because Magpul's the first company that I've ever known to claim that their magazine "will last the life of your barrel".

Yes, I know the odds against ever shooting out a barrel.

I am not familiar with your stated quote of Magpul's claims for magazine life. I've never seen it in print or heard of it. But I don't follow advertising claims.

I doubt you have a good handle on barrel life.

Over tens of thousands of rounds through a fleet of Magpul magazines and a fair number of rifles, I've never retired a Magpul magazine because it wore out. I've thrown away a few of them because they were out spec from the get go, or didn't feed reliably, but not because they wore out.

I've shot out two AR15 barrels, and have a couple more AR15 barrels that are getting a touch long in the tooth.

AR10 barrel life depends on a many things -- caliber, barrel steel and whether it's lined or treated, rate of fire, accuracy requirements. If you're shooting a stainless barrel, getting the barrel somewhat hot in strings, demanding sub-MOA accuracy out to many hundreds of yards -- then you may find barrels are a consumable gun part. In such a scenario, maybe 5k-6k rounds from a 308. Maybe 3k or a little more from a 6.5CM or 260 Remy. Maybe 2k at best from a 6CM or 243 Win.

Will a Magpul 223 or 308 mag last 6k rounds? Will it last at least 2k rounds? I don't know, and probably never will. I have a few dozen magazines in rotation with my 223 & 300blk AR15s. I have a handful of magazines in rotation with my 6CM and 6.5CM AR10s. I also have more than enough magazines to last my lifetime, therefore any mag that fails to function correctly even once will get tossed into the trash.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
KAC ..I would not allow on the premises if they were FREE.

Your totally nuts. But to the point of this, I have original magpuls that have been tossed on concrete etc. for more than a decade without issue. I like the lancers but time will tell they haven't really been around all that long. Clear or not doesn't seem to be an issue so far, but call me in 20 years and we can discuss.
I literally have never heard of the idea of 'wearing out' a mag. I have some from the 60's I use when I need 20's and they run fine. Heck I have a few older than that and they run too.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ For what it's worth, I've got 5.56 MagPuls that have kept on going for a while. Then again, as far as 5.56s go I may have already taken Fritz' advice and simply gotten enough to not put too much wear on any one of them.

I guess a part of it is that I've never seen a magazine manufacturer make any kind of specific statement about magazine life before.

Fritz, if you click on this link, scroll down a bit and read the last full sentence in the Product Description before it says "Made in the USA", you'll see where MagPul says their mags will "[maintain] a service life round count approximately equal to the rifle barrel itself".

http://magpul.com/catalog/prod...7-62x51/category/29/

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Magpul 5.56 mags are great.
The .308 ones work but don't drop one when loaded.
I have two with split feed lips from that happening.

I tried an ASC metal mag and it's garbage.
Then tried a D&H mag, had no problems with it so I ordered a few more at $20 ea.
Far cheaper than the KAK mags.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Surefire SOCOM brakes on my AR10's. While I like their performance they areaPIA to time properly.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Is there a pronged flash suppressor that you like better or that you've heard better things about? Not trying to argue; I haven't actually gone shopping yet.

posted Hide Post
Not sure of the question. The surefire is about as good as it gets. So better than?

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That's what I was asking, whether there was something he likes better than the Surefire. What I keep hearing is that all such muzzle devices are a PITA to time.

posted Hide Post
I’m missing something you don’t need to time a 3prong flashider. And if for some reason you want to (can’t imagine why) it’s trivial.