SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What a great day shooting at the Chaffee rifle range with offgrid and Alpine. We started the day with offgrid's suggestion of cold bore shots at the 1,020 yard steel. I believe both offgrid and Alpine started with hits, however it took me 3 shots.

We shot rifles from prone with bipods, standing through kneeling off a barricade, timed runs unsupported standing/kneeling/sitting/prone. I hope you guys still have working shoulders after absorbing all that recoil from braked/suppressed 6 Dashers. Big Grin After packing up the rifles, we moved over to the pistol range and did a number of fun drills from a few barricades on steel.

All in all, what a day. Especially given the 30+ mph winds I to tack into while driving across South Park.

Today was my first outing with the new Thunderbeast .30-cal and .223-cal suppressors. I must say they are frickin' amazing. Worth the 5-month wait in jail. What amazes me is (what appears to be) no shift in POI from bare or braked muzzle. That's right, no POI shift. Yee-frickin'-haw. This was confirmed at 1,020 yards and 550 yards with both the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .308 Win. I don't have quite the exacting elevation/winding confirmations with the .223 can, but it appeared to have no shift with my 18" AR. Did I mention I'm pretty happy about this?

I spent some time comparing the recoil of the TBAC 9" ultra can and the APA Fat Bastard II brake. Without a doubt, the FBII brake reduces recoil faster and more effectively than the can. The recoil impulse is definitely slower and longer with the can.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
What a great day shooting at the Chaffee rifle range with offgrid and Alpine. We started the day with offgrid's suggestion of cold bore shots at the 1,020 yard steel. I believe both offgrid and Alpine started with hits, however it took me 3 shots.

We shot rifles from prone with bipods, standing through kneeling off a barricade, timed runs unsupported standing/kneeling/sitting/prone. I hope you guys still have working shoulders after absorbing all that recoil from braked/suppressed 6 Dashers. Big Grin After packing up the rifles, we moved over to the pistol range and did a number of fun drills from a few barricades on steel.

All in all, what a day. Especially given the 30+ mph winds I to tack into while driving across South Park.

Today was my first outing with the new Thunderbeast .30-cal and .223-cal suppressors. I must say they are frickin' amazing. Worth the 5-month wait in jail. What amazes me is (what appears to be) no shift in POI from bare or braked muzzle. That's right, no POI shift. Yee-frickin'-haw. This was confirmed at 1,020 yards and 550 yards with both the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .308 Win. I don't have quite the exacting elevation/winding confirmations with the .223 can, but it appeared to have no shift with my 18" AR. Did I mention I'm pretty happy about this?

I spent some time comparing the recoil of the TBAC 9" ultra can and the APA Fat Bastard II brake. Without a doubt, the FBII brake reduces recoil faster and more effectively than the can. The recoil impulse is definitely slower and longer with the can.

Last year when I was looking for a pair of cans for my rifles I simply could not find a Thunderbeast to save my life. So went with a local MT company, Elite Iron. Bought a pair of their Bravo cans. One in .223 and the other a .308 can. My Buddy bought a .308 and a .338 can.

The pair of us have been as happily surprised as You seem to be. I had some POI shift on the 6.5 x 47 L but it seems to be consistently 1" or so. On the recently finished .223 AI no shift at all, but that has been with very limited testing so far.

Sure like the cans. Allows me to shoot here at home with minimal disruption to my animals or my neighbors. I'd love to see the Legislation pass allowing cans to go to an over the counter item on a std rifle/shotgun form without the crazy WAIT times and the $200 fee.

I'd even pay the two hundies if the WAIT time BS could be skirted.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Great day shooting indeed, plus I think this was the first time shooting in four months where I didn't have to dress like an Eskimo to stay warm. The wind made it difficult at that 1020-yard target, especially when shooting the light 69-gr Scenars... Miss left, miss right, miss left, Dammit, I don't mind the wind, just stay steady for a few minutes.

Fritz, thanks for letting me demo the Ultra 9 on the Dasher. Really surprised me how little recoil duration there was. I'm sure only burning 32.6-gr of powder had a lot to do with it.

Also, good shooting during the one handed drill we did with pistols.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Both my 30P-1 and Ultra 9 exhibit the exact same shift from bare as does a brake - 1 MOA.

I'm perfectly fine with that, since it's repeatable. And I don't ever shoot with a bare muzzle, so there's that.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good shooting with you fritz. Thanks for dragging out and setting up your barricade wall. Also thanks for letting me try out your TB Ultra 9 can on my Dasher. Oh my that's sweet, like shooting a 22LR!

Shot 90rds through my new Dasher barrel, have 170rds on it now. Continue to be impressed by the Dashers accuracy.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of your Dashers are sweet rifles. Placing a loaded Dasher cartridge next to my .308 really shows the difference in powder capacity. It's not a wonder your recoil is so mild. I really noticed how you guys didn't get rocked very much by recoil when we shot unsupported standing. And yes, a suppressed Dasher is just a very easy chambering to shoot -- little noise, little recoil, big results down range.

Alpine -- I like your .223AI rifle. If I didn't have optics needs, a bolt action poodle shooter would be very nice.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Just talked to my smith. The action for the Dasher build is scheduled to be delivered to him today, and he's going to chamber/thread tonight and ship tomorrow.

Well, provided PTG didn't screw anything up with the action.

We all know smart money is against that. Ugh. I'm really beginning to hate those people.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

Just talked to my smith. The action for the Dasher build is scheduled to be delivered to him today, and he's going to chamber/thread tonight and ship tomorrow.

Barrel contour, length?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

Barrel contour, length?

24" Hawk Hill. I forget the contour. Something lighter, since it'll be SWMBO's rifle.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

Barrel contour, length?

24" Hawk Hill. I forget the contour. Something lighter, since it'll be SWMBO's rifle.

Hawk Hill Light Palma is the contour.

He just called. Has the action in hand. PTG at least shipped all the right stuff. He's about to chuck everything up and start turning, so we'll know soon enough if everything is to spec. I'm thinking it will all be fine. PTG's issue has never been one of quality, it's always been one of getting the right stuff in the box to your house. Oh, and in how quickly (or not) that they do that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Sure like the cans. Allows me to shoot here at home with minimal disruption to my animals or my neighbors.

I'd even pay the two hundies if the WAIT time BS could be skirted.

My suppressors will almost certainly see more use during practice at the family ranch than anywhere else. Even though most of the neighbors are gun owners and I hear them shoot regularly, I still want to keep my noise levels down. My family members state the sound of my center fire rifles carries noticeably further than the neighbors' pistol rounds and .22lr. Of course the neighbors will still hear the 1/4 to 3/4 second delay between "bang" and "ting", but that's a whole different issue. Wink As in, "Jeepers, honey, just how far away are that guy's targets?"

Exactly -- the wait time is a pain in the backside. This country's issues with suppressors is interesting, given our affinity for firearms. In parts of Europe, where you have to jump through bunches of hoops to own a gun, it's just considered rude to shoot without a suppressor.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
exx1976, the PTG blueprinted action I received a few months ago, had too much taken off the front. Because of that, it wouldn't fit in my Manners T-2A with mini-chassis. I had to have 0.018" taken off the back of the recoil lug to allow a true fit. Something to consider if using a stock that is set up as a drop in system like AI or Manners with mini-chassis.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
exx1976, the PTG blueprinted action I received a few months ago, had too much taken off the front. Because of that, it wouldn't fit in my Manners T-2A with mini-chassis. I had to have 0.018" taken off the back of the recoil lug to allow a true fit. Something to consider if using a stock that is set up as a drop in system like AI or Manners with mini-chassis.

Thank you for the heads up. It will be going into an XLR Element. Smith just sent me a pic of the completed barreled action. We swapped a few texts, I told him of your problem. He test fit it in a rock solid chassis for me; all good.

Should have it on the range by next weekend. She's excited!

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Good to hear, keep us posted on how it goes. I agree with you on PTG. Picked up a bolt for the latest project from them. The work was thoroughly checked out and passed with flying colors. Dealing with them is challenging.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
So..... Yeah. Ptg fucked this one up too. Apparently rock solid chassis are a bit more forgiving with their action bolt holes than XLR. Milling a bit off the back of the recoil lug would have worked, or from the lug abutment in the chassis. However, since I had no way to accomplish either of those things, but I did have a hand drill, I just opened the action screw holes ever so slightly until I could get it put together.

Had it out today. Neither of us shoot well from a bench, and it was crappy out, so groups weren't anything worth writing home about, but she definitely is loving it.

posted Hide Post
Alpine & offgrid:

I can't find my st8 laced rear bag. I know I had it at the Chaffee range last week, but I fear I either left it on one of the benches as we were packing up, or tossed it in with your gear. It's tan and has a little extra fill -- ring any bells?

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't have it, and don't even recall seeing it. I remember seeing the smaller one in Kryptek

George Carlin

posted Hide Post
fritz, don't have it. Alpine and I walked up and down the benches before we left.

exx1976, how did the FF'ing go?

Suggest going right to 32.5/Varger/Hybrids on full loads!

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Ff went well. Going to do a ladder from 32 to 33.6 after all brass is Ff. Smith said their team loads are from 33-33.6.

posted Hide Post
Found the Str8 laced bag! Woo-hoo. It was wedged in the gap between the folded down rear seat and the door. Must have fallen out of the duffle bag I use to hold miscellaneous shooting gear.

Thanks for checking the benches before you left Chaffee. Guess I need to check my own car better. Red Face

I went to the family ranch today for possible range time, but the weather just wasn't the best for shooting. Variable winds -- 5-20mph, mainly SE, but switching from E to SW. Killed yucca instead. Oh yeah, and stuck the 4Runner in a snow drift for almost an hour. Good thing I carry a shovel.

For FN in MT -- one monster yucca "plant" had 83 whorls. Spray doesn't go very far in such cases.