SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Fritz,

If you have yucca issues...Try some REMEDY or it's mucho cheaper cousin triclopyr.
15% herbicide mixed into 85% diesel, a few good squirts to the whorl, or center where the spears radiate from....and in a week it is DEAD.

Regrowth rates over five years...nil to 5%.

BTW...studies have shown that mowing or chopping can yield as much as 15% MORE new plants. The stuff is like an alien from outer space, trying to take over the planet.

http://texnat.tamu.edu/about/b...ide-oil-whorl-spray/

PM me if you want more info.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
If you have yucca issues...Try some REMEDY or it's mucho cheaper cousin triclopyr.
15% herbicide mixed into 85% diesel, a few good squirts to the whorl, or center where the spears radiate from....and in a week it is DEAD.

I bought Remedy this spring and was preparing for a spraying party. Talked to the owner of the cattle about our plans, and he read up on the chemicals. Some websites (but not all) warn that Remedy should not be used within 30-60 days of having lactating livestock grazing on the land. So that ixnayed spraying this spring or summer. I will being spraying as soon as the cattle (mommas and their calves) leave in the fall -- probably late October.

In the mean time, some uber large yucca are blocking targets and making it difficult to drive around my shooting area. So I'm whacking the biggest yucca so I can see the steel targets from my various prone shooting locations. And trying to keep lupine, thistle, and mullein from overrunning the pasture. If nothing else, it keeps me in shape.

I realize I will be spraying what I've just chopped, but at least the next generation of yucca will be smaller. Furthermore, the yucca I'm removing is doing a good job of filling in some erosion gullies on one part of the property.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Needs to be sprayed when the plants are still actively growing. Hopefully he gets the cows out of there early enough.

The other nice deal...the plants seen to simply fall apart after a few weeks. The leaves come off very easily. I hit a few with my lawn mower and they shred easily.

Give the center of EACH plant a soaking shot of spray and any soft, new growth a bit less. The new growth is easy to kill.

Found out that maybe 1 in 10 of my big plant clusters held rattlers. As soon as they got a whiff of that diesel away they went. Buggers scared the crap out of me a time or two. My 2" snubbie with snake shot got a work out.

Good luck.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I thought I stumbled on the Marth Stewart Gardening Forum. Thankfully, the added comments about rattlesnakes and snub nosed revolvers kept me reading.

If you guys start talking about how your cargo pants bind...Im raising the "Ghey Flag".

....not that theres anything wrong with that.... Big Grin

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
I thought I stumbled on the Marth Stewart Gardening Forum. Thankfully, the added comments about rattlesnakes and snub nosed revolvers kept me reading.

If you guys start talking about how your cargo pants bind...Im raising the "Ghey Flag".

....not that theres anything wrong with that.... Big Grin

I was also starting to feel this thread was getting away from shooting.

But then, I shoot on ranges that other people manage and mow and keep usable. I'm trying hard to file this information away for when I buy property in the sticks, but there's no fuckin yucca in WI, so.... Ghey. Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
but there's no fuckin yucca in WI

True, but there are big weeds that grow light-years faster than yucca. Ticks -- lots of them. Mosquitoes the size on condors, biting flies, and all sorts of creepy insects.

That humidity thingie. Hot sticky summers, biting cold winters.

And let's not forget cheese heads.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Summers aren't bad. Winters BLOW. Ticks are disgusting. If you think Wisconsin mosquitoes are big, don't ever go to Florida. I was in Orlando once in February and one of them almost picked me right up off the golf course! Had to beat him back with my driver!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Yucca plants are similar to TRIFFIDS. They take over and are very tough to kill. Remedy is their sea water.

They were taking over my back yard range area. So IMHO a shooting related thread.

BTW.....I bought a Rem 700 SPS, 20" 1 in 8" twist barrel in .223 Rem to mount my soon to arrive Elite Iron can. Going to use it as a practice rifle and for coyotes.

Need to thread the barrel but going to wait for that until the can arrives.

FN in MT

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Finished out a pair of 6.5 Creedmoors this weekend. Foreground is mine. I'll use it for hunting and banging steel when I don't have time to load ammo. Specs as follows

Manners T4A Elite carbon in GAP camo
Atlas Tactical
CG model 22 tactical
8.5 twist Chanlynn 6groove LH
Barrel flat black moly resin
USO 3.2-17 I got on trade

Stuck the other one in my KMW stock for today as the owner is waiting for his
Surgeon 591
Bartlein progressive twist 8.75-8
Barreled action flat black moly resin
Gen2 Razor

My refrigerator group of the day. Hornady factory 140 amax. Average was around 1/2" or so. I tried with the CG as two stage. Think I'm setting it back up as single. I blew through it a few times.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
So..... Who's the genius that did a surgeon, and a gain twist barrel, and a spuhr, and a Gen 2, and then goes and hangs an sdn-6 on it? I mean, I own two of them, but it's not exactly what I'd classify as a precision rifle can....

Not a bad group, but it looks like you pulled one. Big Grin

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I agree, it's certainly not a precision can. Sometimes you do as they ask. He's only going to use it for hunting and stuck it on there to see the POI difference today. Most likely will be shooting it with an APA Gen2 LB brake the majority of time.

I pulled more than one today on other groups trying to get used to that trigger and stock. The two stage gave me fits. I'm used to shooting fast with a Jewell and this was, well, different. I like the two stage setup and it's smooth and consistent. I'm just not used to it yet. I'm going to increase the weight on the second stage and try it one more time. If that doesn't work out I'll remove the first stage travel.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice work J.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Hey fritz. What velocities are you seeing with the 140 amax and at what barrel length? I finished the Surgeon one above at 26" and was averaging around 2825 or so with a Magneto Speed. That seems pretty good at that length and a fresh barrel. I didn't check mine today. I finished it at 25"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Hey fritz. What velocities are you seeing with the 140 amax and at what barrel length? I finished the Surgeon one above at 26" and was averaging around 2825 or so with a Magneto Speed. That seems pretty good at that length and a fresh barrel. I didn't check mine today. I finished it at 25"

My records show an average of 2835 with Magneto speed V3, factory Hornady 140 (lots 312xxx and 314xxx), 26" Bartlein.

For ballistics tables I currently use 2800 fps in JBM. I tend to fly a little better than predicted out to 800-ish yards (POI was 1/4 to 1/2 MOA higher than predicted at 550 yards today, lot 313xxx -- the not-so-bueno lots from Hornady), but POI matches JBM at distances beyond 1,000 yards.

posted Hide Post
I had a fun day shooting in Colorado's northern mountains, with Alpine, at his buddy's place. Nice setup -- steel from 200 to 1200 yards, wind issues from terrain, and the opportunity to hike to various shooting locations for different target distances. Essentially we were all practicing for upcoming team rifle/carbine/pistol events.

We started with the prone uber-platform (evidently built by Alpine) from the porch of his buddy's house. Yep, he has a rough commute to shoot. After confirming MV, zeros, and down range ballistics, it was time to pack up and go for a hike.

In the team event with Alpine, I'm carbine guy and he's bolt gun guy. The match rules don't allow us carbine guys to use bipods (waaahhh), so it was my time to learn prone with a pack as front end support. Since I practiced dry firing from the pack for about 2 minutes in my house last night, I figured I had this down OK. Wrong. Should have practiced in a Holiday Inn Express. The first target was a not-so-big (@#%*&) green steel at 300-something yards against (@#%*&) green vegetation. The best I can say is that I scared the target. Maybe, or (@#%*&) maybe not.

On to the 470 yard WHITE (thank God) plate. I nail it, but the right bolt gives way, the target swings left, and is now pretty useless. So we hike up to the (@#%*&) green plate and use our pistols. All I do is scare it again. Well, until it begins laughing at me. Not a good start for the practice session.

I finally start ringing steel regularly (even another @#%*& green plate) with the carbine and slowly begin to lose some of my sheep-dip handgun technique (poor grip and captain hooking the trigger). Mongo is a bit happier.

Our host plays with his .45 pistol at IPSC steel at 200, then 300 yards. I figure why not, at least the 200 yarder with my G19. I first shoot way high, then a little low, then left, then right. Cheese and rice -- goldilocks and the three bears, but with pistols. Shots five and six hit almost on top of each other, evidently not far from center of plate. The mag's empty, might as well end the day on a high note.

It was a great day and a great learning experience. I have lots to learn.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good time fritz, and an awesome place to shoot.

Gathering up stuff for a fun gun project. Wanting to gain some first hand experience with the round. I'll keep the stable 6.5x47 for comps, at least for now. Going to be hard to tear me away from that one. Brass life will not be anywhere near the Lapua but I have plenty 6 creed factory head stamped and will have plenty more 6.5 I can neck down from my Manners stocked gun if wanted. Have a 6mm 8 twist Chanlynn in route that will be the last piece of the puzzle. Should be a fun one.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Just got an email from Zach. The July t3 match is on for this month. Who is going?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just got an email from Zach. The July t3 match is on for this month. Who is going?

Woo-hoo! Assuming nothing out of the ordinary hits the fan at work, I'm in.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

Woo-hoo! Assuming nothing out of the ordinary hits the fan at work, I'm in.

Looking forward to meeting you! I'll be all mall-ninja'd up in crye pants & shirt with elbow & knee pads, and of course I'll have my beanland build with a can. Make sure to say hi! Lol

The Constable
posted Hide Post
ONE of the Elite Iron cans I submitted to the ATF on 3/24 was approved last week. Picked it up today. No word on the .30 can yet.

So tomorrow it's barrel threading time on my recently acquired Rem 700 SPS in .223 rem.

Going to be my quiet practice and coyote rifle for the 400 yd range set up at my neighbors.

FN in MT