SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CETME C-308
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CETME C-308 Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
Can somebody point me to a FAQ on these rifles?

What's the general feeling on them? Decent for the money, or avoid like the plague?

For the purpose of the discussion, I'm researching the newer versions of the Century rifle, now that prices have finally got to the "have my attention" level.

Don't need one, but kinda want one. Not for hunting or precision work. Blasting at 100-300 yards, killing cans, etc.

Thanks.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I had one that ran like shit new. After a thorough clean and lube it ran like a Swiss watch. I never went to war with it, but once clean it was an incredibly reliable gun. I never tried shooting MOA groups in paper, but at 1-200 it rang steel 9/10 times with the 1/10 being my fault. And they look freakin' cool.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. I bought it around 2009. It has a sheet metal receiver, not cast or so of the older stuff. Standard HK type receiver, no picatinny rail. With the standard CETME rear sight, 100,200,300,400 meters.

Mine checks out fine, good head space and the bolt is not grounded on (which is something to look for).

I have shot several thousand rounds and only two malfunctions, which was magazine related.

Mine has proven to be accurate with the German cupro nickel ball DAG, doing 3 1/2 at 200 yards. Best group at 100 yards was 1 3/4". This was shot prone resting on a backpack.

The recoil isn't that bad, but it sure flings brass! Chucking them into the next county!

I have replaced the stock, forarm and pistol grip with HK green furniture, I had to do some minor fitting to get the butt stock on.

I really like mine. That being said, there are things that I don't like.

The safety works in the wrong direction. It only has the button magazine release (I wish it and the paddle and button like a real G3).

With the safety, it's hard to reach, but it's the same with the HK G3, but at least that works in the right direction! The magazine button can't be reached with your hands on the pistol grip, so I rather have the paddle, it's faster in my experience.

That being said, mine has been a great rifle and I'm pleased with it and how it has preformed. I would like to mount a scope to it, of course it would be the HK G3 mount.

I always wanted a HK G3, or 91. I figured that I would never have the money. So I bought this and for the most part I am happy. It's proven to be reliable and accurate, at least for battle rifle standards.

I have shot Brown Bear, Wolf, DAG, and Lake City. It all has been reliable. The DAG is the most accurate. I also have shot a magazine of Hirtenberger which did about as good as the DAG load.

I have 100 G3 magazines, that I bought from Cheaper than Dirt for $0.95 each. They were supposedly used surplus, but most were new in the wrapper HK aluminum magazines, 10 we're used, with one being unusable ( I took the floor plate, spring and follower off of it and junked the body). The one unreliable magazine was a CETME and it works fine with 15 rounds in it.

That being said, it is Century Arms, so look it over real good! But my CETME C-308 has been great, along with my Vz58. It hasn't had any problems but shooter induced. With it I road to bolt on a reload in a match once and got a jam. A round did not make it into the chamber. That too has been a good reliable and fairly accurate rifle.

At least with mine. I wouldn't have a problem with caring it into battle. I would much rather have my trusty AR15, but my CETME has prove to be reliable and accurate.

Just look it over real good, strip it down and look for signs of grinding on the bolt(bolt carrier. Run the action and see if it is smooth. If you have a no-go gauge use it.

I wouldn't have a problem with buying another one, if it checked out good.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mine, but, bought it used. It had some work done previously, rail added to the top, etc. I cleaned thoroughly and Duracoated in flat black. Wood furniture, looks great.

Sniper rifle? Not really. But if it were my only battle rifle, I'd be confident in it.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have one of the recent C308 rifles by Century. It's been reliable and is a cool blaster, especially for the price. I believe I read that Century wasn't actually building them, but one of the other reputable companies (PTR?) was. I'm almost positive they at least use PTR "Navy" polymer lowers.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
They apparently used a mix of surplus CETME and PTR parts for the builds, including a PTR receiver.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
They apparently used a mix of surplus CETME and PTR parts for the builds, including a PTR receiver.

This fits what I've been reading. Mixed bag of parts, but PTR receiver, and a big improvement - supposedly - over the earlier Century versions.

Minute of pie plate, hard on brass, so-so rear aperture, but inexpensive reliable and proven system for sending quantity of 7.62x51 down-range.

Hard to beat for ~$500.

Building an AR-10 might be done near that price, but I'm not a fan.

Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say mine is way better than minute of pie plate! With the right ammo it just under a 2 MOA rifle. To me that is impressive considering that it doesn't have a free floating forearm, that the sights leave alot to be desired. Plus I was shooting German military Ball surplus ammo.

So far it has been reliable on top of that! Are all of them like that? Probably not. But mine is a keeper!

I have lucked out I guess with Century Arms. My CETME C-308 and Vz58 has been reliable. My Makorov was imported by them and it is a great little pistol. It was in excellent condition.

I am happy with my CETME C-308. I know mine looks way better than the earlier ones.

ARman

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to say mine is way better than minute of pie plate!

Sorry, didn't mean to denigrate anybody's particular piece, just referring to what I've been reading - in a general sense - that you can't expect hard-core accuracy out of these. If I get one, it might be 2 MOA like yours, but 3-4 is probably more common as far as expectations go.

And I can relate about Century. My WASR-10 was heavily advised against, and it was one of the best rifles I ever had. Also one of the few rifles I actually made money on when I sold it. Little bastard worked its ass off while I had it, and put me in the black when I sold it. Can't ask for more than that.

I've got to say, the cheap mags and decent prices on ammo right now are starting to sway me towards a "yes" on this.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
The main thing about my CETME is that I can't count on getting any reloadable brass. It's not so much the fluted chamber, it's that the dang thing eject into Low Earth Orbit and I never see the brass again.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
PTR is much better.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Century CETME I had was pretty accurate, giving 2" 5 shot groups at 100yds using South African ball.

If you've never had a free lunch, you are'nt trying hard enough

Posts: 213 | Location: The North Coast of America, Southern Coast of Lake Erie | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
PTR is much better.

I don't disagree. But at $1000 for just the rifle, it becomes a much less attractive venture.

The draw of the C-308 (for me) is the chance to try out a different platform in an enjoyable caliber in an affordable manner.

And if it's not for me, I sell it off quick and retain most of my initial investment.

That process becomes a bit more tricky if I move up to the next price tier.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
I have to say mine is way better than minute of pie plate!

Sorry, didn't mean to denigrate anybody's particular piece, just referring to what I've been reading - in a general sense - that you can't expect hard-core accuracy out of these. If I get one, it might be 2 MOA like yours, but 3-4 is probably more common as far as expectations go.

And I can relate about Century. My WASR-10 was heavily advised against, and it was one of the best rifles I ever had. Also one of the few rifles I actually made money on when I sold it. Little bastard worked its ass off while I had it, and put me in the black when I sold it. Can't ask for more than that.

I've got to say, the cheap mags and decent prices on ammo right now are starting to sway me towards a "yes" on this.

I wasn't talking it like that. I was just stating that my rifle was fairly accurate, with all things considered.

I tell you, the sights make it damn hard to pull it off! That's why I would love to get a scope and mount and see what it could do then.

I had always wanted a HK G3… I knew that I would never be able to afford one. So I have to say that I am happy with my CETME C-308 warts and all.

If the SHTF and my CETME was all that I had, I would feel OK about that. I would rather have my/a AR 15/M16. But at least my CETME is good.

Also my Century Arms Vz58 is a damn fine rifle! I would like to have another one. It has been reliable and accurate. I like it very much. Lightweight, compact, fairly accurate and hard hitting.

I really like this rifle. I tell everyone that the Vz58 is what the AK 47 dreams to be!

But yeah. The CETME seams to be a good Rifle.

ARman

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
They are so under priced in current conditions, that you just KNOW that when Century runs out of kits, you wont be able to find one for $550 anymore. They will be $700-$800 guns, or more. So you wont lose any money trying it out.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post