SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9mm AR Pistols - Colt Stick Mag Versions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm AR Pistols - Colt Stick Mag Versions Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I’d been waiting for almost a year for PSA to get their 9mm Colt stick mag lowers back in stock.
Monday I got the e-mail and placed my order.
Then chatted with one of their reps about what upper was recommended (Gen 4 BTW) .
So I’m now at the place where I’m waning to begin to decide on barrel length & configurations.
What would the SF members offer as advice on barrel length?
4”, 8”, 10.5”?? Pros ~ Cons ?
Any horror stories of items used that didn’t workout?
I’ve heard that thin 5” free float M-Lok & Keymod rails on 4” barrels using a flash can prevent accessories being mounted due to the lack of clearance.

I plan to use this as a PD gun during travels in the motorhome. So accessories I’m interested in will be along that line.
I seem to be leaning towards the 8” barrel but I have no love or hate for the others.
This is my first 9mm AR pistol.
Also I went with the Colt mag style simply because I don’t care for the looks of the Glock mag AR configuration. Nothing more than that.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...l-lower-classic.html

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
I have a 9mm SBR with an 8.5” barrel and a can. If you are going to add a can, I would go less than 8” so your OAL remains relatively short. I wish mine was shorter. If you’re not going suppressed, I would go with an 8” barrel and flash hider. Makes for good balance in a pistol. These are my opinions, and others may suggest otherwise. Seems like the new offerings for complete pistols are going really short. Check CMMG and Sig for example.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I went with an 8” barrel and have it suppressed most of the time and have a mini flash can when not suppressed.
I think the length is just right.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25317 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have read that 10.5 is the best compromise for velocity and compactness. I have a 16 and want to build a 10.5.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12737 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say that for 9mm. The difference between 10 and 8 is miniscule. like <2% and depending on ammo way less than that.
I have a 5" mpx and cmmg and both are too short unless they have a suppressor on them.
The best compromise for me is 8".
might move this to pistol section.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10957 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with the majority so far - I have an 8” cmmg guard I built from their kit and sbr’d And it’s about perfect with my obsidian 45 in the short configuration. Bonus is that my 135 reloads I use in my pistols stay subsonic almost 100% for when I don’t feel like loading up 160 grainers

Posts: 239 | Location: The Great Salt Lake | Registered: November 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Check out 'Ballistics by the Inch'. When shooting 124/147 rounds, after 5" you only gain 20-30 FPS.

Not to mention, if you are thinking 9MM AR, you should be thinking SUPPRESSED & QUIET, so velocity is not something you really want.

I went with a 5" barrel and use MetalForm 20 & 32rd mags (Also Colt and other brands OEM).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently I'm in the minority with a 10.5" barrel. Got a 12" rail and a flash can, about the same OAL as a 10.5 556 gun. Fun to play with, but I use it only at the range. Concealability isn't an issue for me.

Word of warning, my PSA lowers were picky about uppers. Aero lined up great, but I had to force the pins in on a Rainoer slick side I bought for the 9mm build. I will likely swap it out with another Aero and use it for a rimfire build.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2710 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Would it be worth it to build two uppers.
The 8” barreled one to start with as I don’t have a can.
Then another one , a 4” barrel and suppressor with a 7-9” handguard, this Fall when I buy my can?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Would it be worth it to build two uppers.
The 8” barreled one to start with as I don’t have a can.
Then another one , a 4” barrel and suppressor with a 7-9” handguard, this Fall when I buy my can?

That’s one way to go. You’re the only one who can decide the worth. You may wind up sticking with the 8”. It’s just personal preference really.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have the 4" version with the KAK can and wish I had spent a little more for the 8" barrel, simply for the increase in velocity (about 100 fps on average). The reason I jumped when I did was because it was $50 less than normal and had a SB SOB instead of the usually offered Shockwave. The Shockwave is fine but the SOB is superior.

The KAK brings it right to the end of the handguard so really, nothing is gained with the 4" model. I don't plan on adding a suppressor so I can't address that. It's a fun little gun.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15491 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go as short as possible. If you figure you get adequate velocity out of "normal" pistol why do you need 8"+ of barrel for an AR? My favorite barrel is 3" long from Brownells with a close second being my 5" TROS 3 lug.

Posts: 24 | Registered: January 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh. well there is that issue of where to put your hands on the forened. or maybe a light.
No suppressor go 8".

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up on this, GB, you have now motivated me to jump into another AR build project, LOL.

I have been looking at 9mm PCC options for the past year or so, and my considered options range from AR 9 to Scorpion to MPX to Tavor. A business acquaintance an hour south of me has a Scorpion and a 5.56 SAR Tavor, and has offered to bring them up when the weather warms up so I can try both. I checked out the Tavor X95 at SHOT this year, and as much as I think that would be a great option, I'm not ready to spend that much on a PCC, knowing that I would spend more $$ on upgrades, optic, etc.

I already have a 10.5" SBR in 300 Blk, which I use with my Griffin Rev 45 suppressor. The overall length isn't bad for a range gun, but it would be more challenging in tight confines, around corners, etc. I will be looking at 8" or less barrel length options when I get an upper for this PSA AR 9. I also have a spare Romeo 5 that I will probably install as well.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Better ask this, while I’ve signed up for e-mail reminders when the PSA gen 4 uppers come back in stock, what other 9mm uppers work best with the PSA Colt mag style 9mm lowers?
For those who have them.
I’m looking for the Aero Precision uppers but I’m not finding them in stock at the on line shops I frequent.
Are there any other manufacturers that work well ?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
YHM does 9MM uppers, mine has been 100% on a DDLES lower Colt pattern, just north of 1K through it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I did a 3.5" barrel on mine and mounted a 3-lug adapter for my TiRant45

Posts: 3060 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are there any other manufacturers that work well ?

I like the one that Rudy built at Macon Armory. He does 9mm blowback uppers and 45acp blowback or DI uppers as well. I have one of each

Posts: 90 | Location: The Mitten | Registered: September 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if the PSA are picky, time to get something else.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Uh. well there is that issue of where to put your hands on the forened. or maybe a light.
No suppressor go 8".

Its a pistol. Your'e holding it out straight with one arm using your arm brace.

OK. I'm done being silly. Nobody actually does that.

Grip the mag well.

My second favorite is my 5" TROS barrel. On the bottom with a PSA Colt lower and AAC quick detach 3 lug blackout flash suppressor.

Posts: 24 | Registered: January 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post