SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9mm AR Pistols - Colt Stick Mag Versions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
9mm AR Pistols - Colt Stick Mag Versions Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Thought I’d share....
Both of these are listed as Colt / Glock compatible BCGs .
The Mas Defense appears to be a standard AR BCG with a pistol extractor.
The PSA G4-9 (their new gen4) is very different from a standard AR BCG but I used an AR extractor.
I really wish there was more standardization within the AR9s.

I’m interested in which of these your BCG looks more like.


















U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "



 
Posts: 6191 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Mine looks like the MAS, it's a CMMG 9MM Bolt.
 
Posts: 43186 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
my fm9 bolt



 
Posts: 5434 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post


Here's a JP Bolt. Notice that the JP does not have a weight. I have two of the above FM9 colt pattern bolts. I also have a Colt bolt and a Spikes colt pattern bolt as well, if you'd like pictures of those.


_________________________________________
I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew...
 
Posts: 5304 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I’d love to see as many variants from different makers as possible.




U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "



 
Posts: 6191 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I’d love to see as many variants from different makers as possible.


It might be this weekend, but i'll try to get the other two out and take pics..


_________________________________________
I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew...
 
Posts: 5304 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Here’s the spikes 9mm bolt.





_________________________________________
I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew...
 
Posts: 5304 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
My Favorite AR's are in 9mm including my new MPX. You can never have just one... Smile



BOLTS...





NRA Life Member

Owner
Sig 238, 230, 228, 220, 2022, MPX, 365
 
Posts: 694 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
More bolts.
From a thread on AR-15.com (sorry for the size, not my pic):
 
Posts: 54 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
Well, this is fascinating.

I'll have to pull the bolt carrier group on the colt and look at it.

What it does tell me though, is something I already knew, which is that a 9mm AR is reliable. Look at all the whacky variants it will run with. Blowback baby.


Arc.
______________________________

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

Rode hard, put away wet. RIP JHM

"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

 
Posts: 26065 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock River Bolt




--------------------------------------
Everybody’s got a blank page. A story they’re writing today. A wall that they’re climbing. You can carry the past on your shoulders.
Or you can start over.
Regrets, no matter what you goin’ through. Jesus, He gave it all to save you. He carried the cross on His shoulders. So you can start over.
~NF RealMusic~
 
Posts: 20746 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Well, this is fascinating.

I'll have to pull the bolt carrier group on the colt and look at it.

What it does tell me though, is something I already knew, which is that a 9mm AR is reliable. Look at all the whacky variants it will run with. Blowback baby.


I have more mag issues than anything, but I find the platform to be quite finicky as a fairly high volume AR9 shooter.


_________________________________________
I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew...
 
Posts: 5304 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
OK but do you run the actual Colt design stuff. I generally have used a real colt (6951) with real colt bolt and mags (or metalform) and its been flawless. You know like 30K rounds flawless.
You pick other stuff (and I've built a few) and you need to make sure all is ok but the 3rd parties suck in trying to make things better. Like the JE bolt that won't run in a real colt upper and colt lower since they allow a normal AR hammer and not the 9mm one. example after example could follow.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 7899 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
OK but do you run the actual Colt design stuff. I generally have used a real colt (6951) with real colt bolt and mags (or metalform) and its been flawless. You know like 30K rounds flawless.
You pick other stuff (and I've built a few) and you need to make sure all is ok but the 3rd parties suck in trying to make things better. Like the JE bolt that won't run in a real colt upper and colt lower since they allow a normal AR hammer and not the 9mm one. example after example could follow.


I’ve got a colt 6450. It is the most reliable of the ones I own, but it also has iron sights and is virtually worthless for the type of shooting I do (uspsa) so it rarely gets shot. I suspect if I ran it hard for an extended period of time, I’d have similar issues. I shoot about 2000 rounds a month through a pcc and will probably shoot 1500-2000 in class this weekend. A lot of the issues experienced with AR9 are tolerance stacking issues due to a lack of an accepted pattern. There’s some really cool stuff being done to these guns right now. If pcc stays a thing, we’ll continue to see a lot of development. That being said, I can say with 99% certainty, if I was starting over I’d build a gun that uses Glock mags. I don’t know that they’re any more reliable or trouble free, but at least the mags are fairly easy to seat with a closed bolt.


_________________________________________
I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew...
 
Posts: 5304 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I started my 9mm AR adventure with a 6450. It was completely reliable. The minute the 6451 showed up I converted to that, again completely reliable. But even with a FF handguard I didn't like it for PCC so I changed the barrel and handguard but still using the Colt Upper and Bolt. That again has been totally reliable with about the volumes you are using monthly(maybe not year round since we go indoors where I live in the winter and round counts go way down). SO I think the colt system runs pretty well.
I had a glock system but the mag release system to get it from the back of the mag to the front eventually proved problematic. I've just got another mfg. version and we will see if this is now solved. But I think you can mostly run a true colt system and parts to very high volumes without issue. That at least has been my experience.


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 7899 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
If your going with shorter then 5inch barrel
Just carry a pistol with extended magazines!whats the purpose!?
I can carry a Glock 17 and bags of 33round mags! Or put it in a Roni with a brace or a ENDO stock and brace.


________________________
"The Revolver -A more elegant weapon from a more civilized age."
 
Posts: 3375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I started my 9mm AR adventure with a 6450. It was completely reliable. The minute the 6451 showed up I converted to that, again completely reliable. But even with a FF handguard I didn't like it for PCC so I changed the barrel and handguard but still using the Colt Upper and Bolt. That again has been totally reliable with about the volumes you are using monthly(maybe not year round since we go indoors where I live in the winter and round counts go way down). SO I think the colt system runs pretty well.
I had a glock system but the mag release system to get it from the back of the mag to the front eventually proved problematic. I've just got another mfg. version and we will see if this is now solved. But I think you can mostly run a true colt system and parts to very high volumes without issue. That at least has been my experience.


I shot 1500 or so rounds in class with Max Leograndis this weekend, very few guns made it through without issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tha1000,


_________________________________________
I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew...
 
Posts: 5304 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting data point. Which gun was what configuration or are we talking one gun? Was there some rule about cleaning? Unlike some of my other competition guns (like my glock) I do get the crap out of the colt AR9's on a regular basis.
love to hear a bit more details...


“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
 
Posts: 7899 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moderator
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
I'd hope all these specialty bolts are ramped so you can use any old AR trigger. The Colt 9mm hammer and trigger aren't great.


Arc.
______________________________

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

Rode hard, put away wet. RIP JHM

"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

 
Posts: 26065 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I'd hope all these specialty bolts are ramped so you can use any old AR trigger. The Colt 9mm hammer and trigger aren't great.


My Rock River is ramped.
The originals were not but all are now.


--------------------------------------
Everybody’s got a blank page. A story they’re writing today. A wall that they’re climbing. You can carry the past on your shoulders.
Or you can start over.
Regrets, no matter what you goin’ through. Jesus, He gave it all to save you. He carried the cross on His shoulders. So you can start over.
~NF RealMusic~
 
Posts: 20746 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9mm AR Pistols - Colt Stick Mag Versions

© SIGforum 2019