SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    West Coast Armory 551
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
West Coast Armory 551 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
I have had my kids, i will give you both of my nuts for o e of those 550's
 
Posts: 2720 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I still wish I had a 550 series rifle. I got hooked long ago and bought into one of the first 556 rifles when they first hit the shelves, overpaid at that. Started buying up parts and lowers and realized nothing would do except a Swiss rifle. Nice rifles fellas.





 
Posts: 4187 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Wish I had bought a 551 back in the late 80s, but they were a couple of grand, and that was a lot of money to me back in those days.

Still, I'm happy with my modded 551A1. Close enough for me, and probably puts the same rounds down range with about the same accuracy as the real 551.
 
Posts: 1535 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I'm seriously considering a 550 repro but its still $4800. I was close to ordering it but put a deposit down on a Dakota Tactical MP5SD build w/ integral B&T can.

So jealous of not one but TWO real ones.
 
Posts: 606 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Why are those 550-2 lowers different from the 551's around the magazine wells? Almost look like the Sig 530-540 series lowers.
 
Posts: 153 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
I'll see your 551:



And raise you a pair of 550s:













Alright, you got me with the 550's......
 
Posts: 168 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dubagel:
Why are those 550-2 lowers different from the 551's around the magazine wells? Almost look like the Sig 530-540 series lowers.


The story goes that the weird looking receivers were on the earliest of the 55x rifles..the same magazine wells were also on some of the earlier, pre-55x rifles SG530/540 etc. The design of the mag well then changed amid calls to strengthen that part of the gun. The rumor mill also said cracks had appeared on older design mag wells.. believe what you will, the different receivers are older rifles.


SIG SG 550-2SP
SIG SG 551-2SP 16"
SIG SG 551-2SP SWAT 14" SBR
SIG SG 552-2SP SBR (w/553 Kit)
SIG 552 US/Swiss Clone
 
Posts: 192 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
Here's my 551 SWAT in green



SIG SG 550-2SP
SIG SG 551-2SP 16"
SIG SG 551-2SP SWAT 14" SBR
SIG SG 552-2SP SBR (w/553 Kit)
SIG 552 US/Swiss Clone
 
Posts: 192 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:
quote:
Originally posted by dubagel:
Why are those 550-2 lowers different from the 551's around the magazine wells? Almost look like the Sig 530-540 series lowers.


The story goes that the weird looking receivers were on the earliest of the 55x rifles..the same magazine wells were also on some of the earlier, pre-55x rifles SG530/540 etc. The design of the mag well then changed amid calls to strengthen that part of the gun. The rumor mill also said cracks had appeared on older design mag wells.. believe what you will, the different receivers are older rifles.



there have been tons of variation in 556 receivers out of Exeter so that's no surprise, really. Fenced mag release, no fence mag release. Push button front takedown pin, push only pin w/ detent/spring, etc...
 
Posts: 606 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
In terms of genuine Swiss Rifles:

The mag well is reinforced with an inward bend on the edges as the older design are prong to bending or warping if dropped, which can prevent proper insertion of the magazine.

The holy grail of Swiss 55x is the PE90, or Stgw. PE, which is a non-neutered version of the commercial SG550 (having the bayonet lug, grenade tension ring, original spec flash hider OD..etc). Supposedly less than 15 are in the country and some are not even import marked. They're identical to real military Stgw.90 with the exception of being semi automatic only.

AND all of the ones I've seen has the later reinforced style magazine well.

WCA apparently has one for $22k http://www.prebanarmory.com/sig-pe90-rifle-2/
 
Posts: 10468 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
select, with a riveted/blocked third position. I.e.. a proper Swiss lower.

Same with mine


My WCA came with a factory 0 1 lower so it has the grey factory selector.
I recall reading that there were a small number of WCA with green furniture and a small number with factory semi lowers in the mix.
I removed the black gas block and replaced it with a Swiss grey gas block that must have come off an original US imported 550/551 since it does not have a bayonet lug from the factory.
I bought a swiss picatinny rail with the smaller factory popsicle sight and sling attach loops. I toy with the idea of having it welded on but have never pulled the trigger.

Great to see a thread on WCA 551's!

Keep it going.

HK Ag
 
Posts: 2002 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a grey Swiss gas block and grey N+ sight I need to swap on as well. The weird folding sight WCA used was to match the US-spec accessory diopter kit. I ran across some new/old stock kits and grabbed them but now not sure I need them. Guess I could always toss one on my 522
 
Posts: 606 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
My WCA came with a factory 0 1 lower so it has the grey factory selector.
I recall reading that there were a small number of WCA with green furniture and a small number with factory semi lowers in the mix.
I removed the black gas block and replaced it with a Swiss grey gas block that must have come off an original US imported 550/551 since it does not have a bayonet lug from the factory.
I bought a swiss picatinny rail with the smaller factory popsicle sight and sling attach loops. I toy with the idea of having it welded on but have never pulled the trigger.

Great to see a thread on WCA 551's!

Keep it going.

HK Ag


Have it welded!


---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald
 
Posts: 1770 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cndrdk:
Mine came with the 0 1 3 20 selector, however, was blocked.

So does it still have the sear trip in it or has that been removed?


If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 3935 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by cndrdk:
Mine came with the 0 1 3 20 selector, however, was blocked.

So does it still have the sear trip in it or has that been removed?

It has been removed along with the mounting pin, which has been ground off.
 
Posts: 126 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I had a second 553 but the diopter model. If I would have realized the difference, I would have bought it first but since I had already F1'ed the railed 553, decided to part with it. I intended to buy a CZ Bren but ended up with three B&T's instead. Now, to F1 those...

I am a bit naive about the 553, but curious why the diopter model is favored over the rail model? Are there rail attachments available for the diopter model for red dots?
 
Posts: 225 | Location: MN | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel96:
I am a bit naive about the 553, but curious why the diopter model is favored over the rail model? Are there rail attachments available for the diopter model for red dots?

Yes, there is a top rail available, the only one I've seen is aluminum made by BT but I believe SiG also makes one but its steel.


If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
 
Posts: 3935 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a spare B&T rail from the example I had. Something to keep in mind....an Aimpoint on a B&T rail on a 553 Diopter gun does not co-witness. The same RDS on the 553 Railed gun does co-witness with the irons.
 
Posts: 606 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    West Coast Armory 551

© SIGforum 2017