SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    IWI X95 Tavor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IWI X95 Tavor Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
I have finished this project last year. Haven't had a chance to post pictures here in the Rifle Room. So here it is. IWI X95 Tavor (ODG, 16 inch barrel). I replaced the flash hider with AAC to accept my AAC suppressor. I also replace the rubber butt stock, installed metal ambi-safety latch, metal plate on the opposite side of the ejection port, replaced the charging handle with the auto-flip (not pictured). I like this set up. Shorter than my 5.56 AR15 SBR. So this is now my go to rifle for home defense. Discreet case by Vanquest Gear. I like the 20 round mag better for the initial use. Back up are still 30 rounders.

I added some patches to make it more discreet. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ador,

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
How does it shoot with the suppressor on?

Sweet setup! I have often thought of a bullpup for similar reasons (short, discrete, vehicle use) but never get around to it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
This is my first bullpup. I actually like it. With suppressor, it's gassy (same as my AR SBR). I just make sure my mouth is closed when I shoot. The metal plate on the other side of ejection port have a rubber gasket (instead of the plastic). It made a difference.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
How does it shoot with the suppressor on?

Sweet setup! I have often thought of a bullpup for similar reasons (short, discrete, vehicle use) but never get around to it.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
How's the accuracy in these things as compared to a similarly priced AR?

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As for gas to the face, take a look at this video from IWI. A buddy and I both have X95s, he installed the Manticore Arms port cover whereas I used the technique seen here. Big difference between the two in that he’s still getting significant gas to the face while I’m not. One day I’ll order a port cover too to cover all my bases, but for bang for your buck I’m a firm believer in the rail-cover and plug solution.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/5FDOXK2p0N0

Aside from that I agree that the Tavor is great; as you say shorter than my SBRs albeit a little chunky.

One thing I did discover is that with my recent production gun they changed the size of the charging rod and tube it rides in, as such the folding charging handle from Manticore binds up. Contacted Sven over there and he gladly refunded it, but was interested in the specs as he was getting reports of the same from some customers with newer rifles.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I shoot my rifles suppressed 90% of the time. I’ve never found the X95 to be any worse than an AR when it comes to gas in your face. Piston AR’s produce noticeable less gas than both.

That video is a neat trick, I’ll try it. My AR’s have charging handlers with the little gas buster lip, similar concept.

As for accuracy be an AR, Theae guns are. It nearly as accurate as AR’s. They are 2.5 MOA guns give or take. Amazing gun for 300 yards and in imo. My experience with the X95 is that it should be far more popular than it is. I love mine!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
That looks good. I’m a sucker for ODG. I had an original Tavor but dumped it when the X95 was announced and still haven’t gotten another yet.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the lightning bow trigger next. Well worth it and makes the trigger much better for the price

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
As for accuracy be an AR, Theae guns are. It nearly as accurate as AR’s. They are 2.5 MOA guns give or take.

I don't view a 2.5 MOA gun as being nearly as accurate an AR15. Or a least my ARs.

I currently have 6 uppers, with barrel lengths from 14.5" to 24". I have retired two previous 16" and 18" barrels, when I shot them out. My least accurate barrels are a solid 1 MOA at 100 yards -- meaning that they shoot 3/4-ish MOA when I'm having good days, and 1 MOA on my not-so-hot days. My best barrels have produced groups as small as .3 to .5 MOA at 100 yards -- I consider them 3/4-ish MOA on my not-so-hot days.

These rifles/uppers don't just perform at 100 yards, either. Even in the variable winds I normally practice in, they hold 1 MOA or less elevation out to 400, even 500 yards. Sometimes even further.

That's a world of difference from 2.5 MOA.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Accuracy - I have not shot this rifle past 50 yards on paper. So I can't really comment on long range shooting (100 yards and beyond). But, it hits every single time at 10 inch round metal plate at 25 yards. That is good enough for me as I have no intention of shooting this past 50 yards. Main purpose of this set-up is for home defense. Over all, I am happy.

Gas - I did that modification using rail cover as shown on the video. I even applied melted/heated glue in some areas to further seal the rear. It "DID" lessen the gas. But it is still there when shooting suppressed. Un-suppressed, no gas at all.

Folding charging handle - I got one from Manticore Arms. I guess I am lucky because mine did NOT bind at all. However, I think a have the "re-designed" one that have a thinner rod. The original i think have a coating on the entire rod. That was the one that made it bind as the diameter is a tad big. Mine, it has a coating on the front part, then a thinner stainless rod all the way to the rear.

OD Green - I am a sucker for OD Green as well. ODG is my "pink" color. I even sourced (60) 20 round straight body Pmags that are ODG. Big Grin

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Fritz, my auto correct messed that all up...should have read they are not nearly as accurate as an AR.

Hence the 300 yards and in. I really wish they could hold 1 moa, that would make them better than an AR imo if they could.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are accurate enough. But no, they are not as accurate as an AR. But it was built as an urban combat rifle and it’s great for that. Would I put a scope on it? No. But a red dot/holo sight is perfect for it.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy on my shift just ordered a Tavor in .300 Blackout.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are accurate enough. But no, they are not as accurate as an AR. But it was built as an urban combat rifle and it’s great for that.

They are also "AK" reliable. It'll eat anything you can put in them & still stay accurate enough.
They excel in tight or urban spaces & give you a full length barrel velocities out of a sbr sized rifle.
Mine has the Geiselle trigger pack & it's an absolute upgrade to the trigger system.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
^Delta I’m digging the MRO. I’ve been debating what optic to put on mine.

To the comments of length here is a shot of the Tavor next to a 12.5” SBR’d AR. Not a fair comparison as the Surge in its long form is longer than the Saker on the AR, but you get the picture.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
SigM4, It works great on my x95. I have no complaints. It's fast up to 100yds & doesn't lose much getting accurate hits out to 300. Mine is the red but now that the green is out (which my eyes prefer) I may swap it out.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
What did you use to put a shoulder on the barrel for the suppressor? I think I am going to suppress mine.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my Tavor. I would prefer a X95. Banned in my state. First thing I would do with my X95 would be get rid of cutlass style pistol grip and replace with the typical style as shown above and in video. I’m surprised more people don’t do this right away.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I purchased that pistol grip with the one pictured above (with traditional trigger guard). Bought it directly from IWI. I did not use it as the OD green color DO NOT match with the rifle. It is a "lighter" shade of ODG. I reached out to IWI and asked about the mismatch color. It was explained to me that the batch of the replacement pistol grip was made at a different batch color mix from the materials used for the entire rifle assembly. I have decided to keep it and have it color matched by another vendor at a later date (together with some 20 round P mags).

I have been watching Brownells and other vendors for the Geissele Super Sabra Trigger Pack and Lightning Bow Trigger to go ON SALE. Will definitely purchase those 2 items. Geissele had it on SALE after Thanksgiving. But they were Out of Stock in the Trigger Pack and did not allow Back Order Sale.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I shoot my rifles suppressed 90% of the time. I’ve never found the X95 to be any worse than an AR when it comes to gas in your face. Piston AR’s produce noticeable less gas than both.

That video is a neat trick, I’ll try it. My AR’s have charging handlers with the little gas buster lip, similar concept.

As for accuracy be an AR, Theae guns are. It nearly as accurate as AR’s. They are 2.5 MOA guns give or take. Amazing gun for 300 yards and in imo. My experience with the X95 is that it should be far more popular than it is. I love mine!

Damn you esdunbar and the rest of you guys!!! I just ordered an X95 in .300 BLK!!! Just couldn't resist an interesting and unique addition to the herd, that might just end up being my "go to gun" for a suppressor. Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post