SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg 590 Shockwave
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 590 Shockwave Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It doesn't look to be too hard to handle. This video took me from "no way" to "want."

Clint Smith Shockwave

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Cheyenne, thanks for posting that.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I'll just leave this here:

https://youtu.be/tYjThckYqBQ?t=3s

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
That Clint smith video is legit.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
It's a terrible idea but I think Ithaca should make a version of the 37 so I can have a non-nfa stakeout.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It turned out to not meet my needs. I wanted it for a general purpose cabin/outdoor gun for bear and mountain lion country, and I need a little more range than home defense ranges. Time splits between shots were not too good, either.

Posts: 201 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: August 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I'm more interested in the loading gate that runs Aguilla minishells!

Absolutely no interest in the Shockwave but I am also glad to find out about the adapter for Aguila 1.75" shells.
Still need more research on the Aguilas as far as reliability and performance but 14+1 in my 590 Predator plus another 6 in the Speedstock should prove sufficient for most situations I would ever encounter.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I just "reserved" one from Buds. It's paid for -- now the wait begins.

Hickock45's video posted today sold me.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Talking to manager at LGS Thursday, he stated that Remington is going to announce an 870 version at NRA show this weekend.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
Talking to manager at LGS Thursday, he stated that Remington is going to announce an 870 version at NRA show this weekend.

http://www.tactical-life.com/f...on-model-870-tac-14/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
So I have one of these on the way, mostly just for grins, but I did buy the OPSol Mini-Clip and a picatinny rail. I'm thinking about two different options for the rail.

Option one is a red dot reflex sight, requiring me to bring the gun up to eye level and actually aim. Having to hold the gun forward to avoid facial impact on recoil seems like it would make it a little awkward to pump, but actually aiming is a good thing.

Option two is a laser or a light/laser combo, allowing a "point and shoot" from the hip application. The advantage of this would be comfort, retention, and perhaps speed, but I don't know if I would be blinded by reflection off of the top of the barrel.

In general I'm not a fan of lasers, as I don't like the idea of "chasing the dot" as opposed to actually using sights. But one advantage of a laser is in use of unconventional grip/stance/sight picture. I just don't have any real experience with lasers.

What do y'all think?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I think one of those shotgun lasers might be a good combo.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:

http://www.tactical-life.com/f...on-model-870-tac-14/

Damn. I might have to buy that one too.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
870 has one less round, only downside.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:

Plus a trigger guard crossbolt safety that's not as convenient when using that style of grip as the Mossberg tang safety.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by David W:

Plus a trigger guard crossbolt safety that's not as convenient when using that style of grip as the Mossberg tang safety.

Except I've seen where several people have had there thumb and hand chewed up by the razor sharp safety on the shockwave.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that it should come from the factory that way, but I cannot imagine it’s not possible to easily remove the sharp corners and polish the edges of the Mossberg safety. The early Ruger M77 rifles had the same type of tang safety and that was what shooters who were bothered by it did.

When my LE students ask why I’m not a fan of the shotgun as a police weapon, the first item on my list is the “horrible” crossbolt safety of the Remington 870 (and yes, I put it exactly that way). Moreover, that’s for right-handed users; it’s worse for lefties. I believe that manually-operated firing inhibitors are absolutely essential on weapons used in high risk, high intensity defensive situations. The 870’s design is such, however, that it might as well not even have a safety, and as a consequence, that’s what happens: many officers don’t even try to use it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:

Except I've seen where several people have had there thumb and hand chewed up by the razor sharp safety on the shockwave.

Sounds to me like a relatively easy fix, making it a minor issue.

quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I think it's asking for more trouble than it's worth.

yeah i would not leave the house with mine, a local sheriffs deputy was in the store while there selling them and said that he would arrest someone if they had one in there possession even if they had the paperwork from shockwave. so its a little concerning. the gun store i purchased mine from said they would give me complete trade in value if anything were to ever come up on the atf changing there minds like they so often do.

Deputy Badass needs to find himself a new line of work if he's just gonna go around bullying people because he doesn't like what they're doing, regardless of the legality. Do people like that even hear themselves, or is everything just translated and filtered to sound like crowds of adoring fans promising barbecue ribs and blowjobs because they're just so goddamned cool?

All that being said, I want one. I have no real use for it, other than pissing off the Mother-May-I? fanbois.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
a local sheriffs deputy was in the store while there selling them and said that he would arrest someone if they had one in there possession even if they had the paperwork from shockwave.

Likely just playing to the crowd, because most LEOs these days are well aware of the consequences of a false (illegal) arrest. Unless, of course, if state law somehow outlawed the gun when Federal law didn’t.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I picked mine up today, and while I haven't shot it yet, just handling it I've already made a decision. There's no way I'm holding this in front of my face. At 5'8", my arms are not long enough to put it a comfortable distance from my face. If you think about where your grip hand is on a normally stocked shotgun at your shoulder, you can see how much further you have to push this forward.

Maybe if you're 6'6" you can get it out there, but for me it's getting shot from the hip. I'm thinking a light/laser combo, so it will be point and shoot. Clearly a normally stocked shotgun will be faster in target acquisition and transitions between targets. The only advantage to this is the size, which may allow it to be carried in a vehicle or a space where a stocked gun won't fit.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post