SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for Centerfire Takedown Rifle.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Centerfire Takedown Rifle. Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely go with the Mossberg 590A1 with a pistol grip if you can get away with it, staying in the law.

In fact, I did! Candy striped for bear is the way to go. Even though the bears usually run away from you. It's the Moose trampling that gets you more than the bear.

Check with the Canuks to be sure, though.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
I'd definitely go with the Mossberg 590A1 with a pistol grip if you can get away with it, staying in the law.

In fact, I did! Candy striped for bear is the way to go. Even though the bears usually run away from you. It's the Moose trampling that gets you more than the bear.

H&K-Guy

Why candy stripe it? Just curious.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

H&K-Guy

Why candy stripe it? Just curious.

No important reason, just something I started doing years ago.

I want my first shot to hit something, so the first round is probably going to be OO Buck. The follow up shots can be 1oz slugs, or rifled slugs if you're into that.

I guess everyone has a preference when it comes to their personal safety in the north woods. This just makes me comfortable.

I have not been charged by a bear (yet) in the north woods, but I have to admit the Moose scares me. They are not afraid of humans and will stomp you into kitty litter. They are huge, powerful creatures. I want to hit something on my first shot.

I've never had wolves do anything but run from me. Any other creature is not really a factor in the north woods of Minnesota.

H&K-Guy

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:

I already have an 870 so this is starting to look like the best decision in terms of economics. I love the look of a take down lever action but I could almost finance a vacation on it's price tag.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
SG,

Also please consider some of these creatures are lightning fast. If you've ever stumbled on even a smallish black bear in the north woods, you know they have incredible speed. The brown bears, which are rare in my part of the north woods, are even faster, and are armed with five, three inch knives on each paw. The mountain lion, mainly in the western Rockies, are true ninjas of the wild. Moose are not exactly shy, to say the least.

I just want to tell you any gun you have to put together in a pinch could get you killed.

H&K-Guy

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
SG,

Also please consider some of these creatures are lightning fast. If you've ever stumbled on even a smallish black bear in the north woods, you know they have incredible speed. The brown bears, which are rare in my part of the north woods, are even faster, and are armed with five, three inch knives on each paw. The mountain lion, mainly in the western Rockies, are true ninjas of the wild. Moose are not exactly shy, to say the least.

I just want to tell you any gun you have to put together in a pinch could get you killed.

H&K-Guy

Yea, moose bites are pretty nasty. Big Grin

I agree with your assembly advice but my main concern is protection once stopped for the day. I'm making an assumption that while I'm still mounted I'll be able to motor to safety.

A Ruger Precision Rifle with the barrel cut to 16" is about 26" with the stock folded. I think .308 is sufficient for large game protection with heavier hunting bullets. An RPR could be pulled from it's case, unfold the stock, insert the magazine, take care of business.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea, moose bites are pretty nasty. Big Grin
Statistically, moose are the most dangerous animal in Alaska. They kill more people than polar bear, black bear, and brown bear combined.

Even if you eliminate vehicle accidents, they're still statistically dangerous. Female will trample you to death in the spring when they have a baby and male will trample you to death in the fall when the rut is on.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
SG,

I've biked through Canada, and if you think you are safe on the roads, and only vulnerable when you make camp at night, you are not getting with the program.

Let's put aside, for the moment, when you come upon Satan worshipers dancing around a pile of dead people on fire, while dressed in their human skin, and just consider four legged predators. Not to say two legged predators in some of these remote areas are not a danger, though.

You need a short handy shotty. It's the most versatile, compact, weapon you can get that will fit in a bike trailer or sticking out of one of your packs.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just telling you from experience what I think is best. You only need a weapon for short distance engagements.

Consider, if a bear does not run from you right away, its not going away! It will be back in the night, especially if you have even a drop of food laying around. We all have our comfort zones. Mine is 25 feet. If you are a bear in that space and you are not running away, I'm taking you out. Plain and simple.

Your .308 in that scenario is not practical.

Just say'in, 'yo.

H&K-Guy

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's put aside, for the moment, when you come upon Satan worshipers dancing around a pile of dead people on fire, while dressed in their human skin, and just consider four legged predators. Not to say two legged predators in some of these remote areas are not a danger, though.

I was planning on staying away from Burning Man thank you. Wink

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I was planning on staying away from Burning Man thank you. Wink

Understood. Burning Man is an experience you only make the mistake of going to once. Then you know better.

Well, whatever you decide, be safe. The Canadian Border can be a rough, no mans land, all the way from Duluth to Alaska.

I wish I was young again, I'd come with and show you the sights. Ohhh Well.

H&K-Guy

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone for their ideas, suggestions, and information. While I'm still interested in a take down lever action, the prices on those rifles are just too high. I found an M4 folding stock from Choate that I think will satisfy my basic requirements and be Canada legal.

https://www.riflestock.com/sto...ington-870-12-gauge/

posted Hide Post
They may not be legal everywhere, but the 12ga Rem Tac-14 mini is on sale for $270 with free shipping:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...ontent=12%3a00+Email

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
There is or was a Sigforum member here in Idaho who made a simple folding stock piece for his Winchester Trapper in 44 mag. Unlike most people, he actually carried/used it quite a bit hunting and trapping on skis and such. If I remember right, it was quite simple and made from a shovel handle or something similar.

With the stock folded it was only like 23 inches long and with the proper hunting ammo .44 mag in a rifle at shorter ranges is good for any animal on this continent.

Looked like an ideal travel rifle for a motorcycle as it did not look intimidating in the slightest (actually looked a little silly :-) but holds 9 in the mag tube and one in the chamber, for some decent capacity too in such a short package. He also had lots of dead animal pics to testify to it's effectiveness! :-)

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And when you get back, post pictures!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
There is or was a Sigforum member here in Idaho who made a simple folding stock piece for his Winchester Trapper in 44 mag.

That would be 3/4Flap. I don't know why I didn't remember his threads on this but I'll have to drop him a line and see what he has to say on all this. Thanks for reminding me.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I've motorcycle tripped. What's the loa max that will work with your gear?

Bike is a BMW GS. Weight isn't an issue but I was hoping to use a non descript case that doesn't scream GUN.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
BMW GS

Very nice. I took a K75S up to Anchorage some years ago and would've been much happier at many points in the trip if I'd done it with a GS.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Ok, after everyone's input and searching the archives for 3/4Flap's posts I've decided to abandon the take down rifle idea. It's simply too expensive for an extremely limited use.

What I have decided to do is adapt my 870. A side folding M4 type stock reduces the traveling length to 28 inches without any disassembly, and this allows me to keep the gun as ready as possible should I need it. There are plenty of good bear\moose slugs out there as well as 00 buck should the need arise.

posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Yeah, that is the practical way to go.

*Though, I'd think a GS rider could afford the Skinner version at least!

* I ride a KLR so it would be a beat up old used PG 12GA for me. Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I realize you already got your solution, but for others reading this later, I just picked up a Aero Survival Rifle today.

One in 10mm would be a nice solution if Legal in Canada. The barrel is removable by hand and it’s light weight. It can also handle +p loads.

Mine is in .357 Sig and I ordered a 9mm barrel and bolt. After shooting it on my way home, I’ve already decided to order another one.

It’s a really fun little gun.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post