SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Questions from an AR beginner.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions from an AR beginner. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
Exactly what hrcjon said. Colt 6920. You will NOT regret it,

I will say that the Colt 6920 is good advice.
I have built all of my AR 15's, all with specific purposes. Using the best parts. Cost not being a real factor, as I was buying a part here and there until I got everything I wanted and needed.

But, if I was a newbie and wanted a quality AR-15 and didn't want to spend a ton of money, the Colt 6920 would be a great choice. It's a benchmark for the AR-15. Basically everything you need, nothing you don't.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I always recommend colt, Daniel defense and BCM.

I always recommend aimpoint.

I have never had a problem with either. I have many people that took my recommendation and they haven't had a problem either. Buy quality.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How are the Colt Magpul Ar's in relation to a 6920 for a beginner? Is the magpul furniture better?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate & enjoy the advice and comments.

As far as the S&W MP15 goes, I was looking at their website and SKU #10159 appears to have the low-profile front gas block.
My LGS can get me one for little over $600.
Not sure why I want that configuration with the SIG Romeo5 low mount . . . other than I just like the low, clean look of that set-up.
Also, not sure why the 45-degree offset BUIS's seem like a good idea. They just do. Again, no good reason.
(Hey, its my money.)

Maybe I am suffering from some NOOB TACTI-COOL disease.

And as far as the Home Defense option goes . . . well . . . any gun can be used for home defense.
My first choice would be the M11A1 or the P250C.
My primary reason for getting the AR is getting some training, having some fun, and maybe even getting involved in some competition of some kind.

So, please don't be too hard on me.
Just trying to avoid some egregious monumentally stupid mistakes (eg - "I wonder if Kel-Tec makes an AR?")
While, at the same time, being perfectly willing to make a few silly NOOB mistakes on my first AR.

Thanks.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
No worries man. I have 45 degree offsets on my 3 gun rifle. I use them, rarely. They do have their place. But more with a lpvo than a red dot. Red dot you can use normal flip ups and just look thru the red dot. Or you can use offsets, either is fine.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
How are the Colt Magpul Ar's in relation to a 6920 for a beginner? Is the magpul furniture better?

I prefer the Magpul handguard and stock, but there isn’t a huge difference between them and the traditional Colt M4 items. The Magpul handguard feels a bit better in my hand, and it offers more flexibility in mounting accessories such as lights. As for the stock, there are different varieties of Magpul stocks. The ones I like have small compartments that I carry a bit of lube and other small items in, but they’re not all like that. They may, however, all permit use of QD sling swivels, which is a convenience, IMO, as compared with having to deal just with straps. Some (all?) Magpul stocks have rubber buttplates as well, which I prefer. In any event, it’s important to know what type of stock one would be getting; I believe that the ones supplied with factory LE6920s are the more Plain Jane versions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

I prefer the Magpul handguard and stock, but there isn’t a huge difference between them and the traditional Colt M4 items. The Magpul handguard feels a bit better in my hand, and it offers more flexibility in mounting accessories such as lights. As for the stock, there are different varieties of Magpul stocks. The ones I like have small compartments that I carry a bit of lube and other small items in, but they’re not all like that. They may, however, all permit use of QD sling swivels, which is a convenience, IMO, as compared with having to deal just with straps. Some (all?) Magpul stocks have rubber buttplates as well, which I prefer. In any event, it’s important to know what type of stock one would be getting; I believe that the ones supplied with factory LE6920s are the more Plain Jane versions.

NO, Colt has a magpul version of the M4 they sell, here's the link on their website. What I was trying to determine is, if that is a better way to go instead of a 6920 for a first AR.

Colt M4 Magpul series $1099
https://www.colt.com/series/M4_MAGPUL_SERIES

Versus the 6920 $999 (list price)
https://www.colt.com/detail-pa...g-mbus-4-pos-stk-blk

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That really gets to personal preference. The underlying mechanical gun is the same. I generally like magpul stuff especially stocks, but not all of the magpul stuff that colt puts on the rifle. Personally I don't like the magpul handguards, they suck. but have no issue on the rest of the changes even though I personally prefer a different handgrip. Me I'd not give colt another $100 for those updates and generally I'd vote no to is it worth it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate & enjoy the advice and comments.

As far as the S&W MP15 goes, I was looking at their website and SKU #10159 appears to have the low-profile front gas block.
My LGS can get me one for little over $600.
Not sure why I want that configuration with the SIG Romeo5 low mount . . . other than I just like the low, clean look of that set-up.

While, at the same time, being perfectly willing to make a few silly NOOB mistakes on my first AR.

Thanks.

I just caught this tidbit. The low mount would likely present a sight picture that is much too low to see properly with an AR-15. I don't own the sight in question but most of the red dots on the market come with a low mount for typical rifles and shotguns that have some drop in the stock. The AR-15 has no drop in the stock and so requires a mount that is roughly 1.5 inches tall.

ETA: Just watched a video on that optic. It comes with both the low mount and the high mount. You will find that you need to high mount to see the dot properly on your AR-15.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
You will find that you need to high mount to see the dot properly on your AR-15.

Good point to mention.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DukeMinski:

Thanks.

Read this:
http://www.slip2000.com/blog/w...6/keepitrunning1.pdf

Lube it properly and feed it decent ammunition and it will treat you well.

If you have any issues, post them here.

Don't get too hung up on WHAT you lube it with. Most decent oils will work fine. Mobil 1 full synthetic left over from your oil change works fine. So does Lucas Oil Gun Oil. So does CherryBalmz Black Rifle Balm.

The key is.... oil it. But if oil is running out of your gun and down into your magazine all over your ammo, that is not good.

posted Hide Post
IndianaBoy;
Thanks for the link to the article.
Very interesting & informative.

And to everyone, thanks for all the advice.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
NO, Colt has a magpul version of the M4 they sell, here's the link on their website. What I was trying to determine is, if that is a better way to go instead of a 6920 for a first AR.

The Magpul version comes with 5 Magpul items that the regular one doesn't come with. Stock, pistol grip, trigger guard, handguard and vertical grip. Yes those 5 items are worth the small increase in price. The handguard has MLOK slots so you can easily mount a flashlight (required for home defense).

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone mention a flashlight yet? For home defenses a flashlight is probably as important as an optic.

For indoors use consider a 14.5” pinned and welded upper in mid length. The extra inch and a half might be worth it.

Building your own lower can be satisfying and will repay your time and trouble with troubleshooting of problems in the future in many cases.

From some reviews I’ve seen a Savage MSR is a nice reliable and accurate rifle but I don’t know what the price is - probably around $1000.

Having been down this path before, just buy a Daniel Defense, BCM, or maybe a Colt - Colt of today isn’t the same Colt from 10 years ago from what I’ve heard.

I have a stable of PSA uppers with the M249 double chrome lined barrels made by FN. build a nice lower with parts of your choosing and you’ll be good to go. So $399 for the upper, $39 for an Anderson or Aero lower, and a quality lower parts kid for $100, stock, sling attachments, etc etc for another $100 or so and you’ll have a nice $640 rifle without a bcg. Budget $170 for a quality bolt. So your at $810 plus you’ll want a few tools, an extra spring or two to replace the one or two you launch across the room during your lower build. Then you’ll want a Larue MBT trigger for another $99. So now your at around $1000+. Oh, then you’ll need an assortment of keymod to picatinny rail adapters for your flashlight and whatnot.

It’s hard to beat an Aimpoint Pro for $429 or less. Do you have astigmatism? If so look ata prism scope or EoTech holographic sight.

Did I mention to just buy a Daniel Defense or BCM? Unless you plan to buy or build 6 or 8 rifles, DD will meet your needs perfectly. Before it’s said and done you’ll probably be net-net in price.

For reliability, think about the bigger failure points: The BCG, flashlight, optic??? and spend your money there. I’ll defer to LDD and others with his experience on this aspect though.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Trigger. Larue MBT on whatever you get. Nothing makes more of a difference on an AR as far as shootability as the difference between a quality trigger and a gritty mil spec. The best $90.00 you will spend.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DD rifles are $1,500.00 - $1.600.00 and up on Bud’s. Add a $430.00 optic. His preferred budget was $750.00, max of 1k. You’ve got him spending twice his max budget. Is it really necessary to spend that much to get a decent AR and red dot?

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Dont buy picatinny rail accessories if you get a keymod or mlok handguard. There are direct attachment options for lights and everything else.

There is no reason for a superfluous rail interface that just adds expense, weight, and bulk.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
DD rifles are $1,500.00 - $1.600.00 and up on Bud’s. Add a $430.00 optic. His preferred budget was $750.00, max of 1k. You’ve got him spending twice his max budget. Is it really necessary to spend that much to get a decent AR and red dot?

Nope. Not even close.

I still think he should go with the option I posted a while back.

Rifle, red dot and 1k of ammo for under $1k. It came with magpul sights so he could wait on the optic and save for an aimpoint. They really are the gold standard of the red dot world. And while I dispute the value of the 6920, HRCJON is very much correct about quality optics.

Rifles though...
I think it is silly to buy a budget busting premium or boutique rifle and have no money left for ammo to use in it. Daniel defense barrels are superb but they are not a necessity.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
If he omits the red dot from the links I posted he has a complete rifle with iron sights, 10 magazines, and 1000 rounds to zero, familiarize, and train with. For $770.

posted Hide Post
Yeah he could add the Aimpoint to that and still be very close to max budget. I’m eager to see what he gets.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post