SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Questions from an AR beginner.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions from an AR beginner. Login/Join 
posted
So an AR beginner needs some advice.
What would you recommend for . . .

1) Brand/model of a good quality AR with 16"-18" barrel that is less than $1,000 (prefer less than $750)?
Does not need to have lots of features.
Prefer quality/reliability over "bells & whistles" or "tacti-cool" features.
(Think about a person who owns RUGER revolvers and SIG semi-autos.)

2) Maybe something ready for some fairly low-profile optics?
I would prefer something WITHOUT the high front sight post/carrying handle.
And ready for some offset back-up iron sights.

3) Red-dot sights that aren't crazy expensive?

4) Offset back-up iron sights?

5) Not really interested in building my own. Prefer 'off the shelf'.
(But I am willing to swap out hand guards/fore-grips/etc.)

Thanks.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
What is your intended use for this rifle?

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, some basic carbine/tactical training.
Then, maybe some competition.
But always, home defense.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Well if you like Ruger, they have their MPR in your price range.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get an assembled lower from Palmetto State for cheap and choose whatever upper you want. I’ve had zero problems with all my PSA stuff.

If you go with one of their uppers, choose one of the “premium” models with the hammer forged barrel and premium (Toolcraft) bolt carrier groups.

The $200 Vortex red dot I’ve used at the range for the past few years has worked fine for me.

Buy mags and ammo and go to an Appleseed if you don’t have much experience shooting rifles. They can get you off to a good start.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
Well if you like Ruger, they have their MPR in your price range.

Yep...if you want a factory off the shelf rifle this has about everything you want (and don't want Wink)...good trigger upgrade, Magpull stock and grip and an full float M-Lok forearm...18" barrel with rifle length gas system Smile...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...80/products_id/44367

Add a red dot such as a Sig Romeo 5 or a Vortex Strikefire (PSA offers these from time to time as a "daily deal" often with 10 Magpul 30 round magazines with free shipping for under $200).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a colt 6920, and Aimpoint and be done. The other options may have a bit of fluff on price or features. And you certainly can build one for way less (but I'm no PSA fan). No I'm not being trite, there are literally thousands of options that will do what you want. Here is a proven solution. Compare the options to that and decide. You don't want offset irons. You don't want anything less than an aimpoint for serious work. Ruger and Sig make OK stuff based on my experience. You can get into this market for really cheap right now with low end vendors, but accept you probably will want another one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Exactly what hrcjon said. Colt 6920. You will NOT regret it,

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Go buy a Smith Sport for $550 from your local shop. Done.

It will teach you everything you need to know. And then when you catch black rifle disease, you'll grow from there.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For an inexpensive budget red dot, the various models from Primary Arms have a decent reputation.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Ruger or S&W Sport or Sport II.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoors...r-and-forward-assist

I've seen a lot of optics bought by officers come and go. For competition, the budget stuff will probably be okay. For serious work, I'd spend the money on Trijicon or Aimpoint.

https://www.policeone.com/poli...-for-quality-optics/

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I bought this Bushmaster QRC pencil barrel optics ready carbine for $350 after rebate (was $425 -$75 rebate, a deal I couldn't pass up) about 6 months ago, AND it comes with a cheap red dot. Its still new in the box. I have enough rifles for myself, so I bought it for my son, who is currently 5, but I'll give it to him on his birthday, likely when he is 10-12 years old.

https://www.classicfirearms.co...er-91046-qrc-sa-223/

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The Armalites are worth looking at, although the LTCs (mine in 7.62x39 is very good) may or may not be quite within your price range. I'm mildly surprised that no one's recommended the Aimpoint PRO for a red dot yet, but if you get one it's worthwhile to budget for a better mount. Also, FWIW, there've been some decent deals on Trijicon MRO's floating around lately.

You have lots of options for bolt-on back up iron sights; I've been happy with GG&G and Midwest Industries. I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about offsets.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you list home defense, I'd go no longer than 16" barrel, mid-length gas system (carbine like on the Colt 6920 is OK) and a red dot in the $200-ish price range at least.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...ovable-base-md-rb-ad

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...battery-life-red-dot

I have a couple of the above ones, no issues, but I haven't run them hard (other s have). I have an Aimpoint micro on my primary AR.

The Trijicon MRO is under $400 as is the Aimpoint PRO

You don't need "offset" backup irons. An inexpensive and very workable solution is just the Magpul MBUS, I have a few sets.

You'll also want a quick adjust 2pt sling and light.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Fo...ords=Blue+Force+Gear

https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...r=8-4&keywords=tlr-1

https://www.amazon.com/InForce...eywords=weapon+light

https://www.amazon.com/SureFir...eywords=weapon+light

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are many AR-15 options in the current market for your price. The system has been around for just a few years now, and many manufacturers/assemblers make decent rifles. Try to shoot other people's rifles if you can. Hands on experience with as many brands and models as possible is valuable experience. I have my own brand preferences, but they're a little more than your stated range.

Many moons ago the quality of some ARs was questionable. So "the chart" was produced by someone, with an attempt to determine AR quality, based on a given set of parts/procedures/assembly specifications. Probably an honest attempt at clarity, but it likely muddied the waters for years. "The chart" took on a almost a religious following, probably with Gregorian chants. Ixnay the chart.

Like all of us, you want an AR that goes bang every time your press the trigger -- without failure, without drama. Based on my experience of shooting and observing tens of thousands of AR rounds fired, most AR cycling failures fall into categories.

Ammo -- out of spec (loaded too long or too short); weak powder charge (not enough energy to cycle the round)

Magazines -- out of spec; the magazine brand doesn't play well with the AR brand; bad follower; weak spring

Inadequate lubrication -- ARs work better when they're wet

Inadequate cleaning -- ARs can actually work pretty well when filthy dirty, as long as they are properly lubricated and the ammo isn't weak

True parts failures on ARs are pretty rare -- generally with rifles that have tens of thousands of rounds on them.

In addition to the suggestions above, you might consider Palmetto's options of complete rifles and upper/lower combinations. PSA rifles are used in 3-gun-type competitions -- with lots of rounds down these guns' barrels.

You don't need offset iron sights.

Go with a quality red dot sight. Don't go cheap here. If you want folding backup irons, fine, but quality red dots are incredibly reliable.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
Was able to finally shoot the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot, typically $120-$150 for most websites. It was a awesome red dot for that price point. Comes on as soon as it senses movement, the glass was clear, there were multiple brightness settings for me to get it just bright enough with the sun. Shot it on an LWRC rifle and it was perfect, I would recommend this red dot for anyone looking.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
When there were 6-8 major manufacturers, it was easy to point someone toward a STAG, or Colt, or Larue, whatever fit the bill.

Now with everyone and their brother "making" 101 flavors of AR, you really have to dive down deep into the features and constituent components. It's likely that I'll never buy a phosphated BCG again, but I've spent to much of my life cleaning BCGs so it does make a difference to me.

Admittedly, for beginners & plinkers, it makes less of a difference.

I would look for something with a free-floating foreend. This is going to increase the accuracy of rifle, and will likely also mean you won't have to deal with that A2 style front-sight tower. Generally the longer the rail, the better in terms of getting that front sight out there and increasing your sight radius.

I would forego offset sights for now. Spend the money on a quality optic, be that red-dot or LPVO (Low-power-variable-optic, something like a 1-4x). At your price point, you may want to start with a less-expensive red dot, and shoot for it for a while before you decide where to go from there.

Anybody with more than 1 AR has made a purchasing "lesson/mistake." It's going to happen. Just like anyone with more than one pistol probably has a bin of parts/holsters that they don't use anymore. Heck, some people have complete guns they don't shoot anymore.

If you haven't done it, I'd recommend going to the range when the AR folks show up (Saturdays are always good for this). Explain to them that you're a noob and just want to see what folks are running. I've never met an AR owner who would show up to the range, and not let someone at least handle their rifle and look through the optic. Most folks will even talk to you about why they went with X instead of Y. They're not always right, and sometimes what's right for them won't be right for you (or within your budge), but at least you got to see X feature in person.

Nothing beats free experience and learning on other people's dime. Big Grin

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a great time to be getting your first Ar. There are tons of quality options and prices are very reasonable across the board.

I always recommend the Colt OEM2 model. It runs around 700 ish, and has a shaved pinned front sight base already on there. You literally add any aftermarket free floating hanguard that uses the standard barrel nut, a stock, some sights and viola.

If you don't want to install a proprietary barrel nut, the troy alpha handguard (under 150 used) or centurion c4 are excellent choices. For stocks, the Magpul ctr or str stocks (under 70 used) are great. Add some Magpul flip up sights, and a Vortex strikefire 2 (sometimes on sale for 125-150) to complete the package. If you want a better red dot, step up to an aimpoint PRO (350 ish on sale, sometimes way less used).

I have some bang around Colts set up the same way. They work and are bulletproof. Low hassle and low cost, so you can focus on magazines, ammo, and training.

Posts: 713 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barrels -- like LDD stated, go with a free floated barrel system.

I recommend passing on a 1/9 or slower twist rate barrel. Go with something between 1/8 and 1/7 twist. That way you can have your choice of ammo -- with bullet weights up to 77 grains.

For your purposes the type of steel and coating probably won't make much difference. If you want a chrome-lined barrel -- go for it. If you want a melonited barrel -- go for it. Stainless steel or chromoly steel -- either will work. At this point in your AR-15 shooting, the nuances of one versus the other aren't terribly important.

Understand that regardless of barrel type, you likely won't see functional or accuracy differences among them for at least 5,000 rounds -- maybe 10,000 (or more) rounds. I suspect most AR-15 owners never put more than 1,000 to 2,000 rounds down the barrel of any upper they own. Fewer still shoot enough to replace a barrel due to throat erosion.

Until you really get into precision competition, a 5.56 or Wylde chamber probably makes more sense than a 223 chamber. That way you can shoot both 5.56 ammo and 223 ammo without concerns.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Colt 6920 with and EoTech would be my choice.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post