SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I want a .308 "battle" rifle.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a .308 "battle" rifle. Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
For the AR-10 options, which makers or models should I be considering?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I wanted a .308 and went the M1A route. Part of it is I have always liked them and simply wanted one. Another part is that although I own, use and respect the AR platform and ergonomics, I prefer a traditional rifle style over the pistol grip style.

A traditional M1A or M14 is a bit of a bitch to mount a scope on, however, so that would be a consideration if you are looking for a 600+ yard rifle. I was not, and decided that the Scout Squad with its 18 inch barrel was the right balance for me. I can put a 5 round flush fit mag in for hunting, or a 20 round box for the zombie apocalypse. With the forward rail, I can mount a scout scope that will make this a reasonable 400+ yard rifle, or go with the (expensive) M1A side mount and go with a traditional scope for even more range.

I have not had a chance to shoot a SCAR, and it is likely a superior rifle in all respects, except for the traditional look. That said, the M1A is a very fun rifle to shoot, and capable enough that you don't want to be on the wrong end of it.

The action is dead simple, and parts are plentiful. I imagine I can keep this thing running for a lifetime.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I hunt hogs and coyotes at night with my RRA LAR-8. It is accurate and reliable with lube, but heavy even without the scope and green flashlight. While the .308 AR is not a standardized platform, I doubt this one will have problems "running" throughout my lifetime or the next owner's lifetime. I consider it a tool in my toolbox.

My SCAR-17, however is simply a better weapon than the LAR-8. Light and well balanced, I've never encountered a feeding or extracting issue. This rifle really does go to war, while the LAR-8 doesn't (that I know of). If the stuff really does ever hit the fan, I'm taking my SCAR-17 with me and somebody else can use the LAR-8. Simply put, I LOVE this rifle!

As you said in your OP: Buy once, cry once. Get the SCAR.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Windham is 7.55lbs (unloaded / without sights). Not too bad.

"The SRC-308 is a gas-impingement semi-auto rifle that weighs just 7.55 pounds, unloaded. Reducing the overall weight of the rifle was accomplished in three ways. First, the rifle is fitted with a carbine-length medium-profile barrel. This is where the largest amount weight was removed. Secondly, the upper and lower receivers have been trimmed down. Finally, wherever possible, standard AR-15 components have been used to keep the rifle slimmed down. This also allows for the installation of a variety of aftermarket parts, such as drop-in AR-15 competition trigger groups."

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
For the AR-10 options, which makers or models should I be considering?

For the AR-308 options; there are many fine offerings from lots of manufacturers. One of the reasons I like and prefer ArmaLite is that their AR-10s uppers and lowers are made in 7075 aluminum instead of 6061. I just think (rightly or wrongly) that the higher strength of 7075 in terms of tensile strength, fatigue strength, hardness and shear strength make it a more durable rifle for the very long run.

It's not that the AR lower (or upper for that matter) is subjected to great stress, but...

Next you need to decide whether you want a free-floated handguard. It's not required for your stated purpose.

Rock River, Wyndham Weaponry, PSA have good offerings also. If you want to be more upscale, Daniel Defense and many others.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Two more nice things about Armalite

- even with the changes in ownership, they've been making AR10s for a long time

- the price (and quality you get for it) tends to lie between the cheaper and more expensive options out there, even if price and quality shade a little closer to the expensive options than the cheap options

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I won't ever have one. But this is my choice. Have wanted one for several years.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-...ision-gap-10-g2.html

The LaRue would be a contender too maybe.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

A traditional M1A or M14 is a bit of a bitch to mount a scope

It ain’t that hard, just gotta buy a mount and knock out the roll pin for the stripper clip guide.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G3 - If you can find one. Mine was a kicker!
FN/FAL - The "Rhodesian" or "Bush Rifle" model with the folding stock.
As others have posted, its hard to argue with the proven history of the M1A.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Original M14 parts have not been cheap for the past 10-15 years.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kgray01
posted Hide Post
Let's throw PWS into the mix.

My MK220 is MOA at 800yds (as far as I've shot it), utterly reliable, easy to clean and not too heavy.

1 Sam. 15:28

Posts: 313 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
SCAR 17S.

When compared with other semi-auto .308s it's noticeable how lightweight, compact, and ergonomic the 17S is. It is clean running and reliable even when hot, dirty, dry, or very cold. I've never gotten one of mine to malfunction even in high round count carbine classes with my 16S (where I saw plenty of DI AR's dumping oil to keep running). It's highly modular, making it easy to swap out barrels with just a torx wrench. It's easy to add a suppressor and/or tune the gas system by swapping out the gas control screws.

I've carried it on countless hog hunts all over the country and it's hard to imagine more firepower in lighter and more compact form factor that also shoots this smoothly. Even with the 13" SBR barrel mine has maintained excellent accuracy for shots out to 700 yards.

Just about any spare part you could want is available through MGW, I've built up a substantial amount of spares through them (even though I've never broken a single part on any of my 3 SCARs).

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/fn-scar/parts.html

Only downside is the cost but it's well worth it in my option. If I could only take one with me it would be my well-used SCAR 17S.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I've owned HK91's, Fals, M1's, and the Scar17 but not an AR10. Shot the XM21 in the 101st some. I am 50 years old and weight becomes more of an issue each years. I kept the Scar17 and will continue to keep it because it's the best fit for me. If I were in your shoes I'd go shoot each one before buying. If accuracy is most important Scar and M1. If you're not so worried about accuracy I'd go FAL. Scar and FAL are my favorite 7.62's but that's just me.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
SG751 SAPR

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M-1a, FAL, LMT MWS and H&K 91 are all fine rifles in their own rights I don't plan on getting rid of any of them but simply put in my mind the SCAR is a good deal superior to all of them. There is absolutely no question in my mind that if I could only have one of them it would be the SCAR 17. If I could only have one rifle period it would be a SCAR 17. Good weapons all but there is only one best..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
LMT MWS. That is what I chose and I am very happy with mine.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
JLD PTR-91 cheap magazines, dings up brass, and has a healthy kick but I like it.

This is the model I have.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I'm a fal fan too.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
SG751 SAPR

Oh damn, there you went and reminded me and it will be pecking my brain for awhile. I've not seen one in person but that would be a nice choice.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own all the major formats, most in multiple versions. While my sentimental favaorites are a Para FAL carbine and an LRB-built “Tanker” M1A, the SCAR 17 is far and away my go to. It is not the sexiest, most fun, or maybe not even the most accurate (compared to a worked-on M1A or high-end AR-10 variant), but it is by far the most complete, combat ready package. Light, accurate, easy to clean, easy to scope, etc. I am blessed that I have achieved a position where I can choose what I want, and what I keep at the ready is a SCAR 17.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post