SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger Mini-14 Owners, Please Step In….
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Mini-14 Owners, Please Step In…. Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I put an accu-strut on both of my older mini-14s and it made a noticeable difference in accuracy. Neither are as accurate as even my cheapest AR but I don’t need every gun I own to be a sniper rifle. Frankly there’s no rifle I enjoy shooting more than the mini-14. I actually don’t like shooting the AR in 5.56 at all. The two I own haven’t been shot in at least two years. Also both minis have been 100% reliable which I also appreciate. For the longest time the mini was my HD gun since I trusted it so completely.

Also as patw said it really makes the rifle look good. I wouldn't put it on the gun just for looks but it's a nice bonus.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech
Interesting...I've seen these and am kind of curious about them. How hard were they to install? Any tips or tricks for chosing the appropriate size?

Once you remove the bottom half of the gas block the OEM bushing should just drop out. The Accuracy Systems bushing kit comes with four different bushing sizes. I picked the .045" one, and I may go down one more to .040".

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 955 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Sigmund sent this to me.

Mini-14 Article

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Did you ever get your trigger assembly worked on?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mini 14’s are neat. I have always wanted one.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Headed to the post office to send it off. Smile

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Headed to the post office to send it off. Smile
Got it back on Friday; took it to the range Saturday morning for a few shots. Nice work; short take up, smooth trigger pull. No way to measure but it's probably about 4#. Very happy with Accuracy Systems. BTW - got the advanced trigger job.

posted Hide Post
I had one many years ago . Like a fool I traded it off . I wouldn't mind having another .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
kkina - what is your suggestion for picking up an Accu-strut? Did not see them on Amazon.

Sunflower Outdoor Sports? Are they GTG? Never ordered from them before.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Glad you like the trigger Work.

Barrel Strut

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, Sunflower is now our principal distributor. We used to have a dealer who sold through Amazon, but they went through some kind of changes and haven't ordered from us in ages.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I bought my latest from sunflower.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mini is a viable option for those who live in blighted states like California. The AR seems to frighten the CA populous.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am no Mini expert, but whenever anyone says "vigorous ejection" I remember my days as a three gun range officer.

We didn't get many Mini shooters, but when we did, we had to clear the right side of the shooting stations for 10 or 12 yards, at least, to make sure no one got hit by cases.

Damn things are nearly as dangerous to the right as they are downrange.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Fortunately my 196-series has very gentle ejection, but all our other test rifles do have very ballistic cycling. When we shoot we usually clamp a cardboard shield to the shooting bench less we garner the evil eye from the shooter directly to our right. Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Accu-Strut is inbound from Sunflower.
Should be here today.
Arrived. Install tomorrow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 229DAK,

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Let me know how it goes, my new best friend.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
i like Minis as much as the next guy.

but at $1000+ per gun new with $40+ magazines they will continually languish in mass adoption where the AR has shined over the last 15+ years.

everything in business is driven by the $$ these days -- but you wonder if they'd sell a lot more if they were in the $750 range.

does Ruger even care if they are at max production and filling orders??

i love the concept of the Mini -- basically an M1 Carbine (which everybody loves) in a MUCH more effective caliber.

would have been cool if WW2 paratroopers could have jumped into DDAY with folding stock Minis instead of M1 carbines in .30 Cal. Cool

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the Mini is best for blasting away with the open sights. If you want accuracy and to use a scope, get an AR.

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Let me know how it goes, my new best friend.
Popped off a few rounds before work today. All within 1" at 25 meters. Need to get a few more downrange to get a better feel for the effectiveness of the Accu-Strut. But so far, so good. I'm happy and the trigger is great.

Talked to a guy shooting a S/S Mini-14 and passed on information about Accuracy Systems, Inc and the Accu-Strut at Sunflower Outdoor Sports. Hopefully some business will come their way.