SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I always wanted an Israeli Mauser. Got one today, but I've never seen another like it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I always wanted an Israeli Mauser. Got one today, but I've never seen another like it Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
Stopped by Aim Surplus today to buy some .22 (On sale $22 for 500 in store only, I work 10 miles from them don't hate me Big Grin). There was a K98 Mauser on the wall behind the counter. Turns out it's a 1952 FN .22 trainer made for the IDF. Didn't know there was such a thing. From the owner's private collection. I had to buy it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I dont know what its worth but I would have snatched it up too.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nice score!

Your rifle is one of ~1000 .22 Mausers produced for the IDF by FN in the early 1950s. They were purpose-built as single-shot .22 trainers, to mimic the K98ks in 8mm Mauser (later converted to 7.62x51) that were the standard service rifle of the IDF at the time.

There is also another style of IDF .22 Mauser trainer out there, which were converted from standard K98ks and other Mauser 98s rifles. The IDF modified them for .22 and fitted them with Remington 521 .22 barrels:

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
What a find! Think of all the hot IDF girls that handled that rifle Smile

Enjoy it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
What a great find; you will literally never wear that beast out- congrats.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way Cool!!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need a jealous emoticon! That is so neat!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Took a closer look at it this morning. Only numbered parts are the bolt & receiver, they match. Safety doesn't move, does it work differently than a conventional Mauser safety? I don't wanna force it, assuming parts for these are non existent.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The safety should work in the same manner as other Mauser 98s. But if yours is bound, don't force it.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The safety should work in the same manner as other Mauser 98s. But if yours is bound, don't force it.

It's a single-shot .22, so the need for a safety is minimal.

Thanks, that was my thinking too. Open bolt is my safety.

-Bomber Harris

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That is too cool! I love old military trainers.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent piece of history

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Makes one wonder if I have ever by passed something like that on the shelf.

Was it just on the wall or was there a sign indicating what it was?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Wow!

Makes one wonder if I have ever by passed something like that on the shelf.

Was it just on the wall or was there a sign indicating what it was?

No sign. Just looked like any other K98.

-Bomber Harris

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nifty.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very very cool. You lucked out. Congrats.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SUPER score there.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a coworker that has one and I covet it badly.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post