SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on a small pocket revolver
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on a small pocket revolver Login/Join 
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
I've got a Smith 360, a Rossi, and a charter. The Smith wins hands down for daily carry. The Rossi is far heavier, and the Charter isn't reliable.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Ditched my Smith snubs for the Ruger LCR. Great trigger.

This, I have carried many S&W snubs and the Ruger out of the box has the best trigger of any non-custom snubbie I have carried.

And it is available in 9mm....which is what I now carry when not carrying my LCPs

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just get a Smith 442 or 642 and don't look back. Smith makes lighter, heavier, fancier and more powerful J-frames but the 642 hits the sweet spot.

They are about perfect for their intended role.

Yes, they require some practice to get the most out of them but know many have come before you and achieved competence. It is very doable.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
Just get a Smith 442 or 642 and don't look back. Smith makes lighter, heavier, fancier and more powerful J-frames but the 642 hits the sweet spot.

this is where I came out as well. If I was writing on a clean slate I would probably go with the .327 LCR for both the caliber and especially the additional round but since I already have other .38s I chose the 442.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:

this is where I came out as well. If I was writing on a clean slate I would probably go with the .327 LCR for both the caliber and especially the additional round but since I already have other .38s I chose the 442.

I own and have tried many different short barreled revolvers. Many different Smiths, Rugers and some Colts.

After shooting so many, many of which had some advantage over the 642 in some niche way, I figured out I pretty much had it covered with the 642 all along.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First decide do you want quality or roll the dice on the chance you will get a good fire arm and save some money?

I always choose quality over crap.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No need to reinvent the wheel, S&W Mod 38 Airweight, shrouded hammer, about 14oz unloaded, for pocket carry. For IWB a S&W Model 49 steel frame would be my recommendation, same configuration shrouded hammer. Both controllable with standard 38spcl ammo.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
smith makes great pocket carry revolvers Personally prefer the 642 not alot of fun to shoot but functions very well

Posts: 52 | Location: pennsylvainia | Registered: July 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I love my Ruger SP-101, but I find myself carrying my SW 642 99.9% of the time. However, I am really intrigued by the Kimber, and just might get one if the price ever comes down. 1 additional round of 357 Mag could make all the difference.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stroonz:
First decide do you want quality or roll the dice on the chance you will get a good fire arm and save some money?

I always choose quality over crap.

I like your member name, I'm Italian, agree with quality over CRAP.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger SP101 with the short barrel. Great gun, nice trigger, only 5 rounds, but too heavy and too large for pocket carry so it has to be AIWB.
Also a Ruger LCR 357. Very good gun, fits in pocket, light weight, very good trigger, only 5 rounds.
Also a Kimber K6S 2inch 357. Great DAO trigger. Great feel. Fits well in a pocket. 6 rounds. Wonderful quality. Shoots beautifully. Worth the money. Like others have said, the best of what I have. Just feels right.

I also have a Sig P365 which I carry more than a revolver. But in certain environments I just feel better with a stainless revolver. There is a lot of humidity and it rains fairly often where I live and I feel that it can be better under those conditions.

Posts: 35 | Registered: June 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kobren:
No need to reinvent the wheel, S&W Mod 38 Airweight, shrouded hammer, about 14oz unloaded, for pocket carry. For IWB a S&W Model 49 steel frame would be my recommendation, same configuration shrouded hammer. Both controllable with standard 38spcl ammo.

^^^^^^^^^^
My same thought. I carry a mod 49 pretty often all steel not too heavy.

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt Night Cobra for IWB. The Kimber K6S is a excellent revolver, but I prefer the Night Cobra trigger.

Posts: 27 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W 640 - then even pocket carried Sig P239 (big pockets); now going to start pocket carry of P365.

I'm a fan of DeSantis Nemises pocket holsters!

DeSantis was our issue holster in the USSS for as
many years as I can remember. Great holsters!

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry, A LOT. Mostly a P365 in a DeSantis Nemesis.
Occasionally also carry a 442 with Apex kit, in a DeSantis Nemesis.
Occasionally also carry a PM9, in a DeSantis Nemesis.

The recurring theme for me is light weight and DeSantis Nemesis. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Ruger LCR! Hate appearance. Love functionality and trigger. Replaced rubber grips with G10 epoxy.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I love my Ruger SP-101, but I find myself carrying my SW 642 99.9% of the time. However, I am really intrigued by the Kimber, and just might get one if the price ever comes down. 1 additional round of 357 Mag could make all the difference.

I'm a big fan of the Kimber K6. It's got a better trigger than the Smith J-frames, better sights and that sixth round.

It's more of a belt gun though. I find it a little heavy for pocket carry. As a shooting iron, I think the Kimber is the better gun.

As a pocket gun though, the J frame, being lighter and slightly smaller, work better for me.

I wish Kimber would come out with an alloy-framed K6. I'd be all over that.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’ve used a S&W MP340 for pocket carry. Light weight & won’t pull your pants down. I actually carried it in my back pocket when I knew I’d spend the majority of my time on my feet.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I don't own any pocket revolvers, but have shot both the Smith J frames, and the Ruger LCR.

If I were to buy one, I'd go LCR in .357 magnum, and generally carry .38+p in it unless in the woods.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another S&W pocket revolver I'd recommend is the Model 42 Airweight Centennial with grip safety. Safariland kydex pocket holster would be a good match for the Smith. If you are a big guy with big pockets a vintage alloy frame 6 round Colt Cobra or Agent with factory installed hammer shroud would be the ticket, slightly larger than a Smith snub. Undisputable quality and history of serving the purpose by Smith and Colt.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post