SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on a small pocket revolver
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on a small pocket revolver Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Seems like there are a lot of recommendations for the LCR in this thread. For those of you who have experience with both the LCR and the LCRx, is the DA trigger on the LCRx as good as the one on the LCR? While I'm not in love with the idea of polymer on a revolver, and I think the LCR family is frankly, fugly, I must admit that the LCRs that I've handled have had phenomenal triggers. I know Ruger makes stuff that works, and it's also a lot easier to justify financially than a $900+ 360PD.

I've been looking for a light .357 trail gun for backpacking in areas where open carry is socially unacceptable (a scenario made for the LCR since nobody will know I'm carrying that ugly thing!). All things being equal, I'd prefer the exposed hammer of the LCRx, but I could probably live without it if it compromises that buttery DA pull that you get with the DAO LCR.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that someone is going to diss me substantially here, but anyway: I have been packing weapons professionally for 60 years now, and I don't mean to write about, or evaluate. I have always favored a small revolver as a concealment weapon. I follow the 16 oz rule, if it weighs less than a pound it is a pocket gun, more it is a belt gun, or vest gun, or some other method of concealment. I started out with Colts lightweights, and was happy, then the S&W J frames became a favorite-particularly the 940 or my bastardized 442 frame with a 9mm cylinder.
Recently I went somewhere where it was very probable that I was not going to be bringing my handgun back with me, ruled out anything I really liked. I bought an Armscor 201, 6 shot .38 Special, all steel, and accurate! At 20 meters all 6 in one ragged hole from a rest, shot and dry fired(with snap caps) the snot out of it after using some old Gunslick I had, and I had one badass piece. Made by in our old territory we took from Spain way back when......
It weighs 21 oz, shoots like a dream and was $217.00 OTD! I did get it back with me, and promptly bought a 4 incher just like it, same result. BTW that ragged hole was POA/POI with 158 GR SMWC HP +Ps. Now I pack it whenever it might wind up in a police evidence locker, which is pretty much anytime for anyone.
My S&W 9mm revolver is still my BUG to my BHP, but when a single wheelgun on or IWB is called for the imported steel goes along, and I won't cry if it goes overboard or into the swamp. A molded leather K frame or Colt D frame holster does the trick OWB or IWB, pocket its' slightly heavy but with the way an old guy dresses not really noticed at all. Yeah I still got all my old Colts & Smiths, but there is still a lot to be said for properly forged or cast steel.
BTW they make a bobbed hammer model I have been eying, but unfortunately my better half is a retired CPD Detective, and the "Oh that old thing" just does not work, never did.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry, in a Kramer leather holster, a Smith mod 40,
mid 60's vintage all blued steel goodness,

I'm avg sized, fits the pocket in the pants (jeans, shorts, whatever) well, no hammer to snag and it does what I need it to accuracy wise

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
92fstech-
I can’t imagine using the SA part of a LCRx at any place other than a range.
Especially for pocket carry, where snagging the hammer becomes more likely.
That DA is excellent.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I pocket carry, A LOT. Mostly a P365 in a DeSantis Nemesis.
Occasionally also carry a 442 with Apex kit, in a DeSantis Nemesis.
Occasionally also carry a PM9, in a DeSantis Nemesis.
The recurring theme for me is light weight and DeSantis Nemesis. Razz

This.
I pocket carry the P365 in the DeSantis Superfly holster and it's awesome (both the gun and the holster). Nobody "senses" that you're carrying, doesn't "print" (especially in the "Cargo Style" pants I wear).
Love it.

https://www.desantisholster.com/super-fly/

Posts: 19 | Location: Massachusetts (ugh!)  | Registered: September 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On our LCRs (two LCRs and a 3" LCRX, all in 38 Special) the trigger on the X is just a hair, just a little bit, just slightly heavier, than the triggers on our LCRs.

I am thinking that it may be because I never dry fired the X much. I did both LCRs.

But it is such a small difference, at least to me, that I don't worry about it.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, four pages and have not seen a mention of it so I will ask.

Is this for primary carry or as a back up gun or for some other reason ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bendable went back to OPs post and he didn't give reason for carry. I'll go out on limb and say for primary carry due to warm weather/clothing and circumstances. Found it tough to find pants with pockets large enough to comfortably access a weapon.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
On our LCRs (two LCRs and a 3" LCRX, all in 38 Special) the trigger on the X is just a hair, just a little bit, just slightly heavier, than the triggers on our LCRs.

I am thinking that it may be because I never dry fired the X much. I did both LCRs.

But it is such a small difference, at least to me, that I don't worry about it.

Bob

Thanks, that's good to know.

VictimNoMore, youre absolutely right, but I do like having the option of SA if I want it. My S&W 360 has a hammer, and I pocket carry it often. I cover the hammer with my thumb when I draw, and it's never been a problem.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post