SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 26...obsolete?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 26...obsolete? Login/Join 
Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post
Thin is in at the moment, and more options and new models from manufacturers is always a good thing...

But as others have stated, the Glock 26 is the smallest pistol that I can shoot just as well as a full sized pistol!

My friend has a P365 and I do like it... but with shot timer and doing draw from holster drills, my G26 is heads and shoulders above the P365.

Back up magazine is a G19 mag.. good gun belt and leather/kydex... the G26 remains my favorite for carry.

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the input. I'll have to handle one as soon as I put my $$ together to buy whatever is next...

A couple of follow up questions...

Is the Gen 5 really worth it or is the Gen 3 still viable? I can buy one as an LE, but my concern is this nutty state will decide once I retire in a few years that I have to give up my "off-roster" guns. (They do weird stuff like that...). The Gen 3 is still on ur roster.

I keep hearing reports of the "pinch" with the newer guns when you use any aftermarket magazine baseplates...is this a real thing and are there any baseplates that don't do it or is there a fix?

I currently carry a G17.4 (with Agency Arms AOS) on duty and have several G19's so I have a ton of mags I can use. ). I'll likely sell one to a fellow LE to help fund the purchase...

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
If the grip size on the 26 isn't a factor for you then get the Gen 3 26 to be safe down the line in CA, otherwise both the Gen 4 and Gen 5 offer different grip size alternatives. I prefer the 4 and 5 due to a smaller grip option.

The Pinky Pinch is indeed a thing - for some people, with some base plates. Its been hit or miss for my wife and I. My wife has Gen 3 26s, her EDC since 2006, she only uses the Pearce +0 Small baseplate. She has a dozen or so mags, on a couple of occasions one has started pinching... she tosses that one away and gets a new one.

I've tried different base plates some have pinched. I use a couple of Scherer +0 plates for my carry mags, these don't pinch me. What has also worked for me with 100% reliability and with no pinching is the Magpul 12 rd mag.

Good luck on your decision.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I think it's a far more shootable gun than any of these single stack micro 9s on the market these days like the 47.

The 26 is even more concealable than the 19, doesn't sacrifice much round count and fills the hand much better. I have very average sized hands, and I find most of those single stack 9s way too much work.

I'd happily carry my 26 on a hot day in the summer.

Then again, I'm also a guy who regularly schelps a full size 2011.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How funny just today a citizen asked me what pistol for him well.... a Glock 26 with a Glock 19 or 17 magazine as a spare mag for reloads. .. VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I carry my G43 the most these days. But my 26 isn't going anywhere for reasons Para mentioned.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Only a couple? The man who owns 63 Glocks?

I figure you should own at least seven.

Ok 3 26s, 2. 27s and 1 33. I do like the 43x better though.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 26 is so accurate and reliable I can honestly say if I limited myself to a single modern autoloader the 26 would be the answer

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock got it right 30-35 years ago. Everything since then is icing on the cake.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one gen3. The grip , to my hand, sucks. Ended up dremeling it and stippling it to work. Gen4 is like I was the hand model. If you like the gen3 grip you can get some great deals and don’t really give up anything that you would die for. IMO.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Bcj,

The only problem with the G26 is that it's chunky. People were complaining about the width of small double stack auto (mainly the 26), so the gun makers started offering single stacks. Then SIG pulled a rabbit out of it's hat with the P365. Of course, you know all this.

The question is, does the G26's width cause a problem for you, and, given that you seem to be pretty well set for CCW guns, what does the G26 bring to the table for you that the others don't?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the G26's chunkiness is what makes it shootable. It fills your hand and doesn't spank it with felt recoil.

IMO, the "pinch" can happen to varying degrees with ALL mag extensions. For average-sized hands, you'll get two fingers on the grip and the pinkie curls under. As soon as you get an extension on there, you'll try to get the pinkie on too, but it usually ends up half-off and sitting right over the gap between the grip and the magazine baseplate. Then the mag bounces a bit under recoil, and ... pinch!

Again, it varies with the individual and the particular extension. In my experience, Pearce grips have very sharp edges and can pinch something fierce. I recommend softening up those edges with sandpaper or a file -- unless you like blood blisters.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The 26 put the “sub” in subcompact. And STILL had mag compatibility with its bigger siblings. I like my 365 and it’s capacity for such a small piece is pretty amazing, but the 26 isn’t exactly out of the fight. At 26 (ironic) years and counting since it was introduced,it continues to chug right along with no sign of fading any time soon. I’ll pass my 26 along when the time is right rather than ever sell it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the gen 5 trigger and the guts or"system" better than the Gen 3 but that might just be personal preference. Both will run without issue.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The advantage of the P365 is mostly carriability due to it's thinness (and better sights. Glock needs to get with the program with this.) You're correct. The thickness makes it more shootable. I've shot a 27, and even in .40, it was not a problem.

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The 26 put the “sub” in subcompact. And STILL had mag compatibility with its bigger siblings. I like my 365 and it’s capacity for such a small piece is pretty amazing, but the 26 isn’t exactly out of the fight. At 26 (ironic) years and counting since it was introduced,it continues to chug right along with no sign of fading any time soon. I’ll pass my 26 along when the time is right rather than ever sell it.

posted Hide Post
My G26's have Trijicon HD's, so no issue with the sights.

I'm sitting with an OD two-tone Gen 3 G26. One thing about the 26 is the position of the palm swell, relative to the web of the hand, or where it places the palm swell in the hand. As the full size frames get smaller, the position of the palm swell changes, moves upward. For me, with the Pearce grip for factory grip extension, either a +0 or +1, the pistol fits my hand perfectly.

The only changes on this one are a vickers slide release and mag catch, grip plug, and the sights. And a minus connector.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you put them on. What was that, a $150-ish project? I'm talking comparing the two to purchase one new as they come from the factory.

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

I'm sitting with an OD two-tone Gen 3 G26. One thing about the 26 is the position of the palm swell, relative to the web of the hand, or where it places the palm swell in the hand. As the full size frames get smaller, the position of the palm swell changes, moves upward. For me, with the Pearce grip for factory grip extension, either a +0 or +1, the pistol fits my hand perfectly.

The only changes on this one are a vickers slide release and mag catch, grip plug, and the sights. And a minus connector.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I prefer the gen 3 trigger but haven’t tried the gen 5 in a 26 size.
I did win a gen 4 26 in GSSF but didn’t like the trigger so my wife carries that one.

If I had to rely on schizophrenic politicians to keep my guns, I would be (am) VERY happy with a gen 3.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A new G26 with factory night sights runs $60 to $75 over one without. I believe the OEM night sights are Mepro, but I'm not sure.
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Yes, but you put them on. What was that, a $150-ish project? I'm talking comparing the two to purchase one new as they come from the factory.

quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
G26 certainly has a lot more competition in the sub compact carry market.

Even within Glock like the 43x especially with the 15 round mags.

The magazine acceptance is certainly appealing...

Posts: 23453 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post