SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 26...obsolete?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 26...obsolete? Login/Join 
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JMag:
So, since the earlier iterations are still in use and considered useful by many, by definition they wouldn’t qualify as obsolete.

No, they would qualify as Obsolete under the dictionary "1B" definition which only states "of a kind or style no longer CURRENT" i.e. old-fashioned;no longer the current model in production.

For the word Obsolete to be used to describe an item it only has to meet one of the dictionary definitions, not both.

I.e. just using out-of-production weapon/not current style handguns from a manufacturer does not make them not-"Obsolete".

I.E. Armies/people using an out of production item (F-15C/me still using/maintaining my W. German SIG P226 for example) doesn't make it any less obsolete/out of production/not the current style(of P226 even).

In addition just because something is Obsolete doesn't mean it has no value or is non-functioning.

Take any earlier finger-grooved Glock compared to the current non-finger grooved/front serration Gen 5's would count as at least a style change along with the other material changes for Gen 5 Glock (Marksman barrel, etc).

This doesn't mean rational people are going to throw away a quality gun that functions perfectly and with which they have a ton of experience, for example Para's old Gen 2.5 G26.

That wouldn't make any sense.

Just means it isn't the current production-kind or style.

Gun styling does change generation to generation.

I know how much we all love the front cocking serrations.....

Most of my guns technically qualify as "Obsolete", I too am Obsolete as in old-fashioned, it's not a bad thing

OH BTW AFAIK G26 is still in production so whatever the current style is wouldn't count as "Obsolete", if it's not obvious.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 365XL is a much more refined gun

Posts: 28 | Location: Fort Worth Texas | Registered: January 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frankly I feel Glock cut the G19 down a wee bit in length and shortened the grip and passed it off as a wonderful ECC pistol. Regardless of the hype it simply was not a good EDC.
just packing the G19 was as good.
Had a G26 (LE purchase so price enticed me )
For a CC pistol it wes a failure. Just FAT.
I think a lot of folks who bought then is like so many who bought a car that proved dull but bragged about it rather than saying... I hate it.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by klash556:
The G26 has a twenty-five year track record of ultra-reliability that makes the P365 look like junior in knee pants.

When I want to dig a hole, I don't worry about the degree of refinement of my shovel.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AS long as they make the 17 or 19, the 26 will never be obsolete. Same with the 27 and 33.

These guns have been tried and tested forever. I like the fact my 26 can take 10 round, 15 round, 17 round, 24 round, 33 round etc magazines.

I think the 42/43/43x/48/SIG P365 are all too small for my hands.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I have not read all the replies. Second while not a Glock fan there is no doubt that it is an reliable and decently accurate handgun. Considering the size I would take the H&K P30sk or H&K P2000sk. Both I think have the same attributes with a better grip especially the P30 while having a higher quality feel to them.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I bought a G27 from a friend 23 years ago. He said his GF didn't like the .40 recoil so he gave me a deal I couldn't pass up. Over the years I bought both a 9mm conversion barrel and a .357 SIG conversion barrel. It has been 100% in all 3 calibers.

I usually carry with G32 13 rnd mag. (.357) or
G23 13 rnd mag. (.40)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Z06,

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:

Technically, according to the Dictionary definition a Gen 2.5 Glock is definitely "Obsolete" as it's

Yeah, well Merriam-Webster just recognized "irregardless" so what do they know?

I picked up a 43X last year and that gun carries most of my EDC load at this point, but prior to that, the G26 did a fine job. I actually prefer it with a +2 and it fits my hand better than most recent generation G19s. I also shoot it well.

Most of the guns in my stable would hit the bricks before my G26, she's on the "never sell" list.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
You’re willing to pay the inflated price on a 365 for a CA PPT?

I’m sure it’s a neat gun, but still.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kashew
posted Hide Post
Obsolete? No. Are there better choices? Absolutely, Glock makes two themselves, the G43 and the G48. YMMV It took me a while but I have settled on the P365.

Posts: 30 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: November 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by klash556:
The G26 has a twenty-five year track record of ultra-reliability that makes the P365 look like junior in knee pants.

When I want to dig a hole, I don't worry about the degree of refinement of my shovel.

Yes I used to own one, my XL is still a nicer gun that carries better and with more capacity

Posts: 28 | Location: Fort Worth Texas | Registered: January 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Terrific. Come see us in a quarter of a century and we'll see if your "refined" pistol is even remembered.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Terrific. Come see us in a quarter of a century and we'll see if your "refined" pistol is even remembered.

You seem pretty salty about the 365 for being on a Sig forum. Lol

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You don't have the first clue. Lol

You seem to think one's opinion should be dictated by their current location. Lol

If you were in a Glock forum, would your opinion change? Lol

posted Hide Post
I haven't purchased a P365XL, but own several P365's, and carry one regularly in my pocket. Despite all effort to not like it, I do. It's a small pistol, and it's chief advantage is its size.

It has a very small grip.

I own several G26's in various generations. My favorite is a Gen 4. Its capacit is the same as the P365's basic 10 round magazine, and like the P365, can be expanded with other magazines (and baseplates) to hold more rounds. Like the P365, it fits in my pocket, and I've carried it that way on many occasions in the past (and on an ankle holster).

The G26 does not have a very small grip; it is short, but fills the hand, and lends a greater degree of control, especially when using other than a flush magazine.

The P365 makes a lot of sense on its own as a small concealed pistol, or particularly if one carries a P320 as the primary sidearm. What it can't do, if one carries the P320, despite the same manual of arms, feel, and operation, is interchange the magazines.

The G26 makes very good sense on its own as a standalone firearm, but particularly so as a backup to another Glock 9mm, especially given that they share the same magazine. The G26 quickly becomes a 15, 17, 21, or 24 round handgun when one reaches for that spare magazine.

The P365 is a compromise. It's about as small and compact as one can go with a 9mm, and a remarkable piece of work. It is not ideal, however. No one has ever entered a gunfight (or exited one) saying that they wished they'd had a smaller grip, fewer rounds, a shorter sight radius or lesser sights, or a grip so small that one can't rapidly reload it under fire. You'll probably never see any uniformed police officer carrying the P365XL (or P365) as their duty firearm. Nor will it see service in the military in that role. It's a backup, compromise that is not as good as carrying something with a full grip and better controllability; one sacrifices critical aspects of the firearm, for concealability.

The G26 sacrifices a little, too. It's got a short grip. But it's also got the same reliability, function, and manual of arms as every other Glock, and has magazine interchangeability (as does the G27 for .40, and G33 for .357 Sig). It has seen service as a police firearm, and can be found on thousands of police officers today. It's ability to take magazines of larger capacity, interchanging with other duty weapons, is no small thing. It's parts interchangeability and function is a big thing. It's got so many options available for fittings such as mag releases and slide stop releases, sights, triggers, barrels, springs, and other internals, that it would take all day to cite them. Every one of my G26's cost less than a P365 or P365XL.

If one is happy with the P365XL, be happy. The G26 is far from obsolete. It's a current sales item, a big seller, and a proven product with a strong following and impeccable support. Glocks are not art pieces; they're salt and sweat, mud in your face, deadly serious tools that stand up to body sweat, rain, dirt, and yes, even being chucked out of an airplane. They're well known for durability, some users having pushed them to 200,000 rounds. They're easy to maintain. They run dirty for a long, long time. The factory support is legendary.

People on this forum shoot a lot of different firearms, and quite a few here own and shoot the P365. A lot of shooters here use Glocks as well, personally or professionally. This particular thread is about the G26 and the question of its obsolescence. It it not obsolete, nor is it likely to become so in the forseeable future.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I’m just 5 pages in and this new book is getting pretty good. The suspense is killing me....

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't have the first clue. Lol

You seem to think one's opinion should be dictated by their current location. Lol

If you were in a Glock forum, would your opinion change? Lol

I didn’t say that at all, I just said you seem pretty salty against the Sig for being on a Sig forum. You seem like a really nice person though who doesn’t make assumptions at all.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The Glock 26 has been around forever and has a long proven track record. The P365 is still in it’s infancy.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kashew
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
The Glock 26 has been around forever and has a long proven track record. The P365 is still in it’s infancy.

Said the sword to the gun.
Said the horse to the automobile.
Said the M14 to the M16
Said balloon to the airplane
Said the Prop to the Jet

I really like my G26 but for now I carry a P365.
Who knows what the future holds?

Posts: 30 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: November 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I think you bruised your brain.

This isn't the year 1516 and we're not dealing with wheellocks.

We're comparing one modern centerfire pistol to another modern centerfire pistol, chambered for the same caliber. One of those pistols has been around a quarter of a century and has been in widespread, continuous use during that time, whereas the other one has been around only a couple of years. Of the two pistols, which has had more of a chance to fail or fall out of favor? Come on. Stop and think about what you're saying with this sword/gun sillyness.
quote:
Who knows what the future holds?
Oh great. Platitudes.

That's a copout. You speak of the future yet ignore twenty-five years of proven service of the G26.

Try again, only, this time, try employing logic and not catch phrases.