SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New S&W Shield Plus
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New S&W Shield Plus Login/Join 
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I was kinda excited and then I saw this.

https://www.handgunhero.com/co...on-m-p-9-shield-plus

I'm really liking my Hellcat and my SW 3.6 for something a little bigger.

It's better than a nothing burger.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gotta put those cartridges somewhere. Razz

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The video advertises an 18 degree grip angle. Is that the same as the original Shield?
And where does that fit vs the S365 and G43?

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A reason I like my 365 is it can go from pocket carry to fuller size using its extra 3.7" upper and 12 round mag, and all the mags fit in the same gun.
This Shield offers the same possibility with the 4.0" Performance Center model.
I think I'm covered, but interesting.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The point of comparison for this is Glock. They have a 22 degree grip angle, which drove a lot of people bonkers. I've been hearing bitching about Glock's grip angle since the first time I heard of Glock.

No one seems to complain about SIG's grip angle, so I assume its 18 degees.

quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
The video advertises an 18 degree grip angle. Is that the same as the original Shield?
And where does that fit vs the S365 and G43?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I think it's interesting how the mags are made by Mec-Gar and look like reverse-engineered P365 mags.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunit:
I wonder how this will stack up against the Hellcat with SMSC. I currently have a P365 but am looking at the Hellcat because of the factory red dot. Had a Shield but wanted a little smaller with more capacity. For me, it has to be factory optics to carry and there are not many choices.

I think sig announced a P365x small slide with optic cut and xl size grip frame, I would think the small slide with optic cut from factory has to be available soon

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
You like the hinged, curved trigger?

Most definitely! I won't buy a firearm that has the safety shoe in the face of the trigger.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I think it's interesting how the mags are made by Mec-Gar and look like reverse-engineered P365 mags.

The mags are made by Mec-gar? That is interesting. Smith usually makes their own. I think they've used Mec-gar in the past, but only until they can do their own.

Mec-gar makes good stuff. Now that they have their own stack and a half design, I expect a lot of gun manufacturers will follow Smith's lead by modifying an existing design and letting Mec-gar supply the mag.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Then you won't like this gun. It will be interesting to see what they do with the rest of the M&P line going forward.

quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
quote:

Most definitely! I won't buy a firearm that has the safety shoe in the face of the trigger.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Then you won't like this gun. It will be interesting to see what they do with the rest of the M&P line going forward.

quote:
quote:

Maybe Apex or Overwatch will come out with a trigger shoe for the Shield Plus that mimicks the original shoe???

Just kidding but you never know.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
quote:

I respect your choice but I am curious as to why?

Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't like it touching my finger, if only briefly. I guess I'm just an old fart, set in my ways. The hinged trigger feels more "natural" to me.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like the pistol but won't be buying one. I bought the 1.0 the day they released them. Carried it for two years but decided I wanted more capacity.
I'm not a fan of small, compact guns for carry. I prefer medium-large handguns. I carried a 5" 1911 for 25 years until the switch to polymer guns. Nowadays my EDC is either a 4" M&P 2.0 9mm w/ optic or a Beretta 92 compact w/optic.
I can certainly see the appeal of this new S&W though. If I was looking for a sub compact pistol, this one would be it. (except for the trigger)

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:
I've gravitated to the SW MP2.0 because of the grip texture over the past year. I have a MP2.0 4" with a Trijicon RMR and a 3.6" which fits me perfect.

I was eyeballing a PC Shield before this, but glad I held out. This PC will be one I get.

My MP2.0 Compact has the best out of the box grip texture of any polymer pistol I've ever held.

M&P Shields are reliable, shoot great and often priced way below some of the other popular choices.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It's not a choice, it's an observation. I've heard a lot of complaint about the e curved hinged trigger. I had no problems with it. I liked the M&P 2.0 I shot. I was able to shoot it pretty well.

But Smith must have gotten enough complaints about the curved, hinged trigger that they're moving away from it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:

quote:
quote:

posted Hide Post
After watching a couple of vids on the newest Shield, it would seem that the Plus potentially fixes two things for me: provides a thicker, more palm-filling grip which bugged me to no end with the single stack Shields. And no more gritty, articulated action mess of a trigger. The curved or straight face aspect does not matter to me; it's the action itself that does. I've only shot the 1.0/2.0 Shield effectively well when an aftermarket trigger like the Apex design was onboard. The factory 2.0 trigger was initially touted as "new and improved" with the Shield, but I never saw improvement in my target results. Then again the 1.0 Shield trigger was initially touted as being "better" than the prior double-stack M&P triggers, yet I've always shot with more consistent accuracy with DS M&Ps (except with my original 3.6" 1.0 compact and its horrid factory trigger) than with the SS Shields of either generation.

I don't have a real need for a Plus, but I'm anxious to shoot one anyways.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
I don't have a real need for a Plus, but I'm anxious to shoot one anyways.

This new gun is going to be a huge seller for S&W.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
As Para said, the biggest factor in concealability is the grip size. I was pretty interested watching the second video when he was saying how close it size it was to the P365, until the end, when he stood them side by side, that's not close! The Shield's grip is considerably bigger.

I've been shooting my P365 with the Magguts conversions, which gives you 12+1 with the original mags. I've got a couple hundred rounds through the mags and they've been flawless. I'm very happy with 13 rounds in the original P365 size that's super easy to conceal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
Just as 1KPerDay pointed out the new Shield Plus is
"marginally" thicker than the standard Shield. I handled on in LGS yesterday and I was really surprised -- I couldn't tell the difference. Also, I really like the new flat tab trigger. I always like the ergos of the Shield but traded mine in for a P365 to get extra capacity. Truth be told, the P365 ergos always left something to be desired. I'm rethinking my decision now. Around here the Shield Plus is going for $539-$550 in basic form.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post