SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How can I get a P228 build kit minus receiver under $300?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can I get a P228 build kit minus receiver under $300? Login/Join 
posted
I am brand new to SIGs but for obvious reasons I do not have alot of time to do extensive homework. I am wondering if some SIG elders could tell me if its possible for me to get my hot little hands around a "builders kit" for a P228 that includes everything but the receiver for under $300?

Something like this exists for the 1911 online (out of stock of course). But I already have a P228 80%, I just need all the other parts.

Does this sort of thing exist either new as a kit or used as someones old pistol or pistol parts that would somehow end up in this price range? Or should I just give up?

Seems like SIG's are higher end and probably a P228 would never drop to this dollar amount even without the receiver..just need someone to pop my bubble please

Posts: 6 | Registered: April 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Everything minus the frame for $300 or less was possible a few years ago, when twogunjay was selling a bunch of those part kits. But, the supply has run out.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Hi, welcome. Not likely you will find it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a company called gun busters that specializes in selling parts kits from guns deemed by law enforcement as requiring destruction due to use in crime. They disassemble and destroy frames but sell parts kits.
Under $300 may be a hard bridge to cross however.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You’ll have to peruse gunbroker for a good while and hope for the afore mentioned parts kits. They do pop up but they don’t happen often.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are around every once in awhile. And sometimes at a good price. I think everygunpart had some recently. But out of curiosity where does one get an 80% 228 lower?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
But out of curiosity where does one get an 80% 228 lower?

are they desirable? like.....how desirable?

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The easiest way is to just get a P228.
Finding spare parts is getting slim let alone a parts kit.
A P228 complete slide assy is going to be around $400 these days if you find one.
I see P228's for sale locally pretty often in the $600 range that are in good shape.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
are they desirable? like.....how desirable?

I wouldn't consider them desirable, since as is the point of this thread getting the parts to use it is expensive and difficult. But my question was I simply did not know they exist.

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
The problem is the P228 was long gone by the time SIG started making and selling Caliber X-Change Kits, which were new complete slide assemblies in different calibers for P226s and P229s.

So as everybody has said, your only option is finding someone selling what you want from a used parts gun. I believe those P228 parts kits from a few years ago were selling for around $160-$180.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1470076864

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

nice thanks!!

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guy_in_USA:
quote:

nice thanks!!

Now all you have to do is find a P228 locking insert if you are putting it on a .40/.357 P229 frame.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OP says that he has an 80% 228 frame. I asked where that came from but have not seen an answer. Maybe others know of someone who built a few, I would be curious to know. In the case it is an 80% frame he needs all the frame parts not just the locking block.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The OP says that he has an 80% 228 frame. I asked where that came from but have not seen an answer. Maybe others know of someone who built a few, I would be curious to know. In the case it is an 80% frame he needs all the frame parts not just the locking block.

The only 80% Sig frames I've seen were from Matrix Precision.
But their p228 frame was railed, and square trigger guard more like a p229.
Last time I looked matrix was selling a p229/p226 hybrid, basically a p229 with p226 grip and magwell.

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, a 226 frame and jig for $615. Then of course the rest of the parts. Before this latest c19 CF there were a number of 226's (used but ok) at my local FFL for way, way less than that. You have to be a real paranoid person for a 80% 226 at that rate. A glock or AR not so much given the cost.

posted Hide Post
I've made a few 228's from the kits and from 229 frames over the years. Prices were better back then. To me, once you're at like $300-400 into the project, you may as well pull the rest of the money out of your pocket and get a real factory-made 228 on the used market. Sure, you need a lot of money these days for that, but once you are at like $300-400 or so into it, "what difference does it make at this point?"

So, you got whatever you paid for the 80% lower and any associated jigs, tools, etc to finish it, then you got $300 for the 228 upper. Still need the internals for the frame. You could buy a police trade in 40 cal 229 ($400-$550?) and separately buy the 9 mm locking insert for a 228/229 (? price, I don't know, maybe $25) and then you'd have your 228. Benefit, I guess, is no serial number, no paperwork for that frame, except you'd have paperwork in your name for the police trade in 229, so "what difference does it make at this point?"

Or, you could buy a P228. They do exist. They are offered for sale on the used market from time to time to time, actually a lot of times. Yeah, they cost some money. People want them and are willing to pay for them. Sigs are not for people who want an inexpensive gun.

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out for the OP.

Another source for Sig uppers ( though not any P228's currently ) is this company. They have several SP2022-2009-and newer slides and small parts.

Do a search for Sig Sauer.

https://everygunpart.com

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
Now all you have to do is find a P228 locking insert if you are putting it on a .40/.357 P229 frame.

https://www.midwestgunworks.co...e/mgwi/prod/P00167-R

I can confirm it's the correct P228 locking insert as I bought one.

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, so the insert is $47.52, plus shipping and sales tax, plus the $300 slide, plus the cost of the 80% frame and whatever jogs, tools, etc came with it. And, you still don't have the internals for the 80% frame, (except the insert). Now you're $350++ into this and still don't have a gun that shoots.

For $600-700 or a little more, maybe a little less, you get a Sig P228. Still don't see the point of this assembly project when the parts kits are no longer available.

Some have asked where one would get an 80% P228 frame, and the original poster has not been willing to answer that, which is odd. Very odd.

Posts: 695 | Registered: June 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post