SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In search of the perfect carry gun!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In search of the perfect carry gun! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sure, Walther PPS M1 80% or more of the time.
That last 20% is split between P320 .357SIG or Ruger LCP with CT laser (cuz there ain't any sights!) The first two are carried IWB in kydex (Clinger Stingray), the LCP in a pocket Remora.

I shoot the PPS M1 or M2 as well as any pistol I own. The only reason I ever carry the 320 is because sometimes it seems like a good idea to have the extra rounds and the .357 firepower. And the LCP is only when I have to wear a tucked in shirt but it's too hot for a jacket.

Man, I love the way that Walther shoots! The 365 hasn't turned my head in the least.

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
SIG P229 SAS

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, it does not exist.
Sig P225 Classic. 357 Sig. All Stainless. Night Sights. SRT. No rail.
Until it exists, I will keep tinkering with the 320 until I get it right.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That new M&P 3.6" compact is treating me nice. It's like a mullet. Business up front, party in the back.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
G19

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piedrarc:
For a striker - M&P 2.0 compact
For a DA/SA - PX4 Compact SIG P229

I prefer a DA/SA gun.

My entry.

But, damn if you just can't go wrong these days. XCarry, Gen5 G19, M&P 2.0 compact, PX4, SIG 228/229, Beretta Centurion. And that doesn't scratch the surface of the choices that are out there.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
G26. Easy to hide owb with a 10 round mag in the summer, can do the same with a 15 round mag and xgrip under a jacket in summer-lite that passes for winter here.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
For me, the Glock 19 is almost the perfect carry gun. There are a handful or two, of instances when I'll need/want something a little smaller. But it is really close to being the perfect carry gun for me.

With that said, I have been carrying a Gen 3 Glock 26 that I found at my LGS/Range, it was used and had a grip reduction and stippling job that fit my hand perfectly (no rear grip hump). I really like this gun - first 26 that has caught my attention.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's still too new to say it's my "perfect" carry gun, but my PX4 Compact sure seems headed in that direction.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no perfect carry gun. I have been “all over the map” with the “perfect” carry gun. SOB 1911-45 to LCP in the pocket, the quest continues and has created a stable of hand guns that look good and shoot great. In the past 3 months I have been carrying a CZ P-07 in an OWB and cover with a customary sport jacket. Yesterday, I found a perfect carry piece at my LGS, a DWGardian 9mm. Let’s see what happens.and the quest goes on...

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Gave up on one to do it all. 3/4 of the year it’s hot here so that means a subcompact. Primarily a PX4 subcompact but I also carry a P30sk when doing glove work. (The HK’s have larger trigger guards) Winter for us is 3 months and I’ll size up to a PX4 compact and P30 for the same duties during that time. Any ultra concealment necessary I carry a 2” Black Rhino with a couple of spare speedloaders. Robert Burke has worked over my PX4’s and P30’s. The PX4’s have nice triggers to start and thy are wonderful worked over. I am especially fond of the PX4 sumbcompact with the pantented snap down magz. 13+1 in a subcompact and a full fingered grip. It’s the red headed stepchild in the CCR space and I like red heads.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
S&W Shield 9mm.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm for a real gun that you can fight with if you had to. A P232 is a much better fighting pistol than a keltec 380 even though they are both 380acp. When I was issud a Sig 229 my off duty was a 239 and the 239 could do everything the 229 could, but it didn't carry as many rounds. Right now my Dept. authorizes G27 & G43 for off duty. They are both capable guns but the G43, for me, is right on the edge of being a capable fighting pistol. I prefer DA/SA.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Glock 43 is really damn close for me. If it had metal mags, I would say it is the best thing since sliced bread. However it doesn't and I really dislike plastic coated mags.

I really love carrying my P320SC too. It's huge compared to my Glock 43 though. The 43 is so dang light and with a few mag extensions, I don't feel at all under gunned. I have a TLR-6 installed and it still weights less, prints less and makes for a better day of carrying than anything else I have ever tried. This is IWB only. What's weird is I have owned a few Glock 19's over the years and never carried one IWB.

I haven't tried the new Mod 2 XD-S from Springfield yet. I'm really thinking of snatching one up.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
There will never be a consensus of "the perfect carry gun." What you're most confident with, is perfect...for you.

I tend to stick with 1911 pistols. On those occasions where something smaller is preferable, I'll switch to a (often maligned) P365, because it works...for me.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I carry/carried all of these; j-frame, 238, 938, 224, MK9, PM9, K9, P9, 250sc, 320sc, Shield, M&P9 2.0 Compact, DW ECO9, DW CCO, 220 Carry, and still going. They are all "perfect" while I am carrying them.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started with a S&W Shield 2.0, modded it and after months of needed re-works, got a H&K P30SK.

Shield is great outta the box as a deep cover SHTF concealed pistol.
But I wanted some more upgradesand they didn;t go well, plus the night sight front tube fell out after getting sights replaced by S&W and lossing the gun for about 6 weeks.

It's a nice pistol, but I felt there were some QA issues and long-term reliability questions. For occasional use, it will be fine.

But as a daily/weekly range gun, it may push its' limitations and that's NOT what it was designed for according to S&W.

My HK is a solid performer and damn good outta the box. It's a little bulky, and the trigger is not as good as the Apex System on the Shield, but I have big hands and it's built very solidly with ambi safeties and a decocker.
It also offers a flawless 15 round factory mag.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIG 228 or SIG 229R in 9mm. The one downside to the 229R is the rail when you IWB in an open bottom blade tech holster. A SIG 239. Then I went to the S&W 9mm Compact.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Lately I'm thinking it's a P30S V3. Not a target gun per se, but very accurate in SA mode. The DA and ambi safety make for a solid defensive carry piece.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M&P 40c or Glock43. In a Kydex owb holster for now, with untucked shirts.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post