SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    "Aiming is useless!"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Aiming is useless!" Login/Join 
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
I worked with a guy who was the best natural shot I have ever seen. Dude was truly amazing. There wasn't a pistol he couldn't pick up and hit a bullseye at a fifty yards with. I watched him do it time and again, different pistol after different pistol, year after year. I watched him hit eggs, off-handed, four out of twelve times, at a fifty yards on a bet (we were just goofing off after qualifications for the day). I couldn't even see the fucking eggs.

Basic fundamentals, and not systems, or what so-and-so says/does are what get the other 99% of us through. That includes proper trigger control and sight alignment.

It's those basic fundamentals (and ongoing practice and application of those fundamentals) that make me a good shot. But I do not have that natural talent and no system, one off technique or style is going to get me there.

What Leatham says in the above video is true and does work, but only to a point as jljones explained. In the end it always comes back to fundamentals because it has to.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
My academy intstructor, in a previous century, said "in a fight, see your front sight" He wasn't talking about bullseye, he was talking about gun fighting. I'm curious. Did Rob ever shoot anyone who was shooting back?

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I know people that were in gun fights that didn't shoot anyone that was shooting back. Wink

I'd take Rob's advice before theirs. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The key to the whole thing is mentioned in the video... It's simple, but it's not easy...

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
My academy intstructor, in a previous century, said "in a fight, see your front sight" He wasn't talking about bullseye, he was talking about gun fighting. I'm curious. Did Rob ever shoot anyone who was shooting back?
How many times did that instructor shoot someone that was shooting back? We all know the vast majority of cops go their entire careers without ever shooting on the "two way" range, and that includes the LE firearms instructors.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Going fast is fun.

Working slowly to build proper fundamentals, especially excellent trigger control, is boring.

However, the "crawl, walk, run," approach, while initially boring, pays off in the long run.

Unfortunately, most want to skip straight to running, like Ricky Bobby.

I spend a lot of time trying to break my bad habits (and as an FI the bad habits of others) that came from trying to "run" right away, rather than taking the time to get great at crawling, and then walking first.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TL/DR,
Sum it up for me lads...
I got the hammer and plyers out, can I rip the sights off my Glock or not?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8346 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
TL/DR,
Sum it up for me lads...
I got the hammer and plyers out, can I rip the sights off my Glock or not?

But do you have a blow torch and a couple of hard pipe hitters?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kroz
posted Hide Post
If we don't aim, how do we know whether or not we're moving the gun when we pull the trigger?

One thought is that I've found the exercise of balancing a dime on the front sight of a P226, while single-action dry firing, to be helpful.

Posts: 108 | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post