SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    OK...now after a few years...G43 or S&W Shield
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK...now after a few years...G43 or S&W Shield Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
Ok all...

I see a lot of "professionals" and "operators" are seen carrying the G43 in their civilian lives...

For those out here in this brain trust, what are your thoughts on these two mini pistols for EDC. They have both been out for over 2-3 years now (the shield even longer...).

(and no...lets not bring up the P365 until they figure that debacle out...)

I personally like my Shield 9...but was curious to hear from you all.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Have you shot a G43?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I'm not an "operator" just another shmuck on the internet.

I love my Glock 43, have had it a while now and have about 1200 rounds through it. It's a perfect pocket carry in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Its big enough you can tell there is something in my pocket, but who cares.

I find it to be a nice shooter, accurate and so far not a single hiccup. I have a Lasermax laser on it. I have big hands but can still get a good grip on it and I don't find the 9mm to be much kick in it.

I have no experience with the Shield 9mm, I very recently picked up a Shield .380 EZ and I do really like that, its perfect for a beginner or someone who has difficulty with operating a firearm slide, loading a mag, etc.

If you have a Shield 9mm and you like it, no reason to change. Unless you just want a new pistol which is always the best reason to pick something new up.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Imagine the Shield. Now imagine if it was a little smaller, but more accurate. And that's a 43.

You're welcome. Smile

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very happy with my Shield and have no plans to change. It shoots well and I have had no problems with it.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Having owned both the clear winner to me was the Glock 43

I admittedly owned the 43 a lot longer (and still do)

I owned a shield for basically a weekend....bought it from a friend that needed the cash, took it to the range once, and sold it the next week....easy choice...the Glock 43 was more accurate, softer shooter, more concealable, at least to me

The only reason I can think to own a shield is if you really want a manual safety. The one I had was the manual safety model. And it was so small and stiff I would have never carried it with the safety for fear of not getting it disengaged when I really needed to

But, it’s a wonderful world...what’s good for me, may not be for you

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I never really got to like my shield. I mean it was ok but never loved it.

The G43 I wanted to love but I would just as soon carry a G26 and really I am not a striker guy at heart. My inner Luddite or something.

Honestly for me personally the only one of this class that I really like is the Walther PPS.

My operator credentials are basically I have played the game operation, I have called an operator a few times and tier 1 is first level of a great sales opportunity I have for you.....so take my thoughts for what they are worth.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
I like my shield and price point on the first generation is just inexpensive...I have my g26 and g19 just think for the times I need something smaller the Shield works just fine..since I am stuck using a mp gen 1 .40 for work, the shield 9mm is just nicer to shoot. But I am only comparing it to my crappy mp gen 1.0. Really can’t go wrong with g43... and the bring the p365 into the mix..Smile

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've detailed the reasons that I didn't care for the Shield here, before.

I just took my G43 out of my pocket; it gets carried a lot. I have several thousand trouble free rounds through the G43, and just installed a "glock gadget striker control device on the rear cover plate.

My shield failed catastrophically, and s&w were unapologetic about failing to honor their warranty. I am unimpressed.

My feeling on the G43 is that it is an excellent little pistol, best suited to the times when one can't carry something larger, such as when pocket carry is more suited due to dress or occasion. I've worn it quite a bit under a tucked tee shirt and it disappears. It's a thinner G26, and if a little extra capacity is desired, baseplates and larger capacity magazines are available.

I run the Pearce +1 baseplates because they've proven absolutely reliable, the magazines hold 1 extra round (total of 7), and they don't extend any further than the +0 finger-rest baseplate. In a DeSantis pocket holster, it's no harder to draw, and in fact the Trijicon HD sight is a bigger snag issue in drawing from the pocket. A thumb over the back of the site fixes that problem during the draw, along with a little practice.

To me it's no contest between the Shield and the G43; the G43 without question is more reliable, better made, and a far, far better choice. You might save a couple of bucks initially, but unless the pistol is for show and tell, you may depend on it to save your life some day.

There are more magazine options for the G43, and they're considerably less expensive. I wasn't crazy about the way the Shield mag snags in the pocket, and it's easier to get turned around ; the thick plastic baseplate or spacer that sticks out drove me nuts. Get the G43.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I've owned both (past tense). Both were 100% reliable with everything I fed them but I had one problem, couldn't shoot them worth a damn. I had other subcompacts I could shoot just fine but not these two. Sold them off and never looked back.

That being said, if I had to choose between the two I'd go with the Glock 43....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MPrimo
posted Hide Post
I have had both ... still have the G43. I have had no issues with it and it shoots great for what it is. It has become my go to carry pistol. My Dad had a shield that did not fire and had to go back to S&W ... that turned me off. That said, I have friends that love them. G43 for me, however.

MPrimo

Sigs, Glocks, 1911s, M&Ps ... well, you get the point!

Posts: 617 | Location: New England | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
I am very happy with my Shield and have no plans to change. It shoots well and I have had no problems with it.

I agree. I was very surprised at how accurate it is. I can shoot groups as tight as my 226 with the shield and it has yet to misfire.

I have not fired a G43, but if I were choosing between the two it would have to come down to personal choice. Ergos, etc.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Shield is the softer shooter between the two but my preference is with the G43...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
I've owned both (past tense). Both were 100% reliable with everything I fed them but I had one problem, couldn't shoot them worth a damn. I had other subcompacts I could shoot just fine but not these two. Sold them off and never looked back.

That being said, if I had to choose between the two I'd go with the Glock 43....

Same here. I had the Shield in 9mm, 40 cal and 45. They were nice. G43 was alright and I like Glock but I couldn't shoot it worth a shit.
Had a PPS for a long time until someone pointed out a design flaw and I got rid of it. The flaw was very minor and probably would have never happened but it crept into my head and that was it.
These days it's a Kahr K9 Elite. Not quite Shield or Glock and a lot heavier but it's a great pistol and I shoot it better than either.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are both a great option. I had both but didn't need both and kept the 43, just because it is a Glock. What I mean is they are one of the most reliable guns out there and you know it will be around for a long time. Parts are everywhere and Glock has big after market support. I especially like, and I am sure I am beating a dead horse, but the 43 has a better tang/built in beaver tail that does not give me slide bite. I had a Springfield single stack 9mm pistol, the model escapes me now, but after the first session my big mitts had slide bite. I sold it and gave the 43 a chance and am glad I did. Glock did this pistol right and it is very comfortable to shoot. The 42 is also an amazing little performer although it is only a little smaller compared to the 43. The Shield was nice but seemed a little snappier to me as I am not sure if it is the slide to frame height difference making it feel a little top heavy. Don't get me wrong, the Shield is a great gun but for me,I just prefer the Glock.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I own and carry a Shield 9 but have only handled a G43, never shot one.
My Shield has worked flawlessly and carries well for me. The only modification has been night sights.
I consider the quality to be about equal. THe price differences, for me, aren't enough to push me in any particular direction. I carry this every day and it could save my life one day so that's my primary concern over dollars.
The Glock came out after I had bought the Shield and actually seemed to be too small for my hands. Just didn't feel quite right for me. I'm sure it's a good gun but there just wasn't enough to make me want to own one. Sometime I'll get to shoot one at the range I go to and maybe that will push me over the edge.
I'm more inclined to wait another year or so until the 365 has been in service a little longer, the price will likely come down a bit, and any minor kinks worked out.
Right now if I was going to seriously try another gun to replace my present Shield, I would take a look at the 2.0.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I bought a Shield about 3 years ago and carried it for close to 6 months. Never had any issues with it at all. Wasn't as accurate at 15 yards like my Glock 43 was and my P365 is. I sold it and bought a Glock 43.

I carried the Glock 43 along with my P228 up until about 3 months ago. I really liked the Glock 43. The way it disappeared in work clothes, it's weight. The capacity didn't scare me too bad as I had plus 1's and plus 2's, but every time I fired it, the grooved trigger drove me nuts. It caused me to not enjoy shooting it and therefore I didn't train with it like I should have. I should have probably replaced the trigger and I would still be carrying it. If the trigger isn't an issue for you and the reduce capacity isn't either, I don't think you're going to find a better light carry weapon made.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I like the fuller grip of the shield better. It just filled my hand better and I felt like I had a better hold of it under recoil.

They are both great guns though.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Tried many and it's G43 for me.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Between the two it's the G43 for me and many others. Conversely it's the Shield for many others excluding me. As always it comes down to personal preference.

The Shield has more capacity right out of the box but the Glock doesn't have any baggage regarding the occasional (and relatively rare occurrence of) cracked frames and ornery customer support if that happens. Even in 2.0 mode and unlike its larger double-stack siblings I think the Shield trigger still sucks monkey balls. Still others complain about the G43's 'heavy' break and immediately seek out help from the aftermarket. Kind of a pick 'em to me.

Because of both's hefty sales histories there's ample accessories and support from aftermarket suppliers for either of the two. In this regard you can't go wrong with either one.

But to echo what was said previous in the thread and despite me being a 'Glock guy', I'd rather have a PPS (in my case, the M2) and be done with it. Even if the Walther's barrel has been known for potential peening and the company is in denial as to their culpability in the matter.

Like I said, it's a pick 'em.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post