SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A little Glock generation discussion- What is your preferred generation?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little Glock generation discussion- What is your preferred generation? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
jljones is the source of all this confusion. You'll have to ask him, although, he indicated earlier in this thread that he feels his opinions on the subject will now be discounted, so I doubt he'll be stating anything beyond what he has already.

GJM, you mentioned that your groups opened a bit with your SRO-equipped G34, although this was at the end of a session and you say that this may be attributable to fatigue, but if the gen5s do get much hotter, could these opened groups have anything to do with heat migrating to the mounting plate of the optic?

No shift in point of impact, and my groups shot freestyle were about one inch larger than my best efforts. Given I was fatigued from a full-on practice session, I would not read much into an inch.

The thing about Glock pistols, is there are so many out there, things get found out quickly. And with the internet, it takes just minutes or hours for the word to ricochet around the country and world.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have 10K rounds, yet (somewhere just shy of ~2k) in my Gen5 G19, and having shot every generation since 1988, I attest to the Gen 5 being the best for accuracy with mere indoor range, less than 25 yards, paper shooting.

The difference is significant (still have my Gen 3 and Gen 4 G19s). Couldn't be happier with the Gen 5.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Jerry may have already checked out of this thread but if not, is there any word on the gen 5 17 or 17M having similar issues? Is it confined to the 19 only? 19x? G45?

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you usually purchase about a half dozen copies of a pistol? I would think that you, least of all, would be concerned about a 10,000 round service life. You'll never get anywhere near that. I ask this in all seriousness.

As I recall, you own something like 70 Glocks.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you usually purchase about a half dozen copies of a pistol? I would think that you, least of all, would be concerned about a 10,000 round service life. You'll never get anywhere near that. I ask this in all seriousness.

As I recall, you own something like 70 Glocks.

Pretty close. 64 at last count. I shoot a good bit and have a few that i shoot a lot in competition and training. I do like the feel of of the gen 5s and am considering selling off some gen 3s especially the .40s. I guess I just don’t like having a gun with a possible Service life of 10,000. That’s 4 or 5 training classes. I want to make sure they are as durable as my gen 3s before making the jump.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Jerry may have already checked out of this thread but if not, is there any word on the gen 5 17 or 17M having similar issues? Is it confined to the 19 only? 19x? G45?

Thanks.

I'm at least 15k into my main Gen 5 G17mos training gun. I have not noticed any degradation of accuracy.

The gen 5 guns do seem to get hotter, but that is purely subjective. I haven't stuck a thermometer in it.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Thanks.

I'd be curious as well but wouldn't hold your breath for an answer. I wonder if this issue has anything to do with all the 17Ms hitting the market recently? Maybe they're selling them off on the civilian market and getting the newer "fixed" models to the feds?

I would suspect most people will never reach the 10,000 mark. Of the ones who do, most probably won't see any issues. For those who have this issue, I would imagine Glock would take care of it with a new "improved" frame for minimal if any expense to the owner.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I wonder if this issue has anything to do with all the 17Ms hitting the market recently? Maybe they're selling them off on the civilian market and getting the newer "fixed" models to the feds?
I think the Feds have just had more agents choose the 19M than the 17M, or maybe they want the G45 now instead.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that is experiencing the widening of groups on his gen 5 g34. GM level shooter. Has seen groups go from 2” at 25 to 5”. Has narrowed it down to the barrel. Gun has 25k~ through it.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ogive40
posted Hide Post
I'll throw my .2 in and say the Gen 2 are my favorite. I have two Gen 3 (19,22) and they both are fine. My Gen 3 G22 just missed the famous frame rail 'no recall'....but at least has more of that older Gen 2 finish look. less black and shine.

I just happen to like that Gen 2 grip and finish. I'll have to pick up a Gen 5 G19 one of these days.

"The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental."
John Steinbeck

Posts: 2230 | Location: NJ | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What was the gen 5 problems and what was the fix that Glock have done to the current models?

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New Gen5 G19 Marksmen barrels are only $89.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com...glock-19-oem-barrel/

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My only Glock, a G19 Gen5, is my favorite. I like it much more than my previous G23 Gen3, which I kind of despised because of the finger grooves, not that I couldn't deal with them, just that I prefer the current model without them, plus I divested myself of all of my .40's.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
I have a buddy that is experiencing the widening of groups on his gen 5 g34. GM level shooter. Has seen groups go from 2” at 25 to 5”. Has narrowed it down to the barrel. Gun has 25k~ through it.

I’m not trying to flame your buddy but I wonder if he’s ever cleaned the copper fouling out of his barrel ? I have a friend who travels around the country competing in 3Gun and she thinks that cleaning a pistol barrel is a few patches pushed through it .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toto:
What was the gen 5 problems and what was the fix that Glock have done to the current models?

While there has been discussion of a change in polymer in the Gen5 frames, it's just a theory of mine, but I'd guess it has something to do with Glock going back to a single pin holding the locking block in place. The original Glocks had only one pin for the 9mm pistols but they went to two pins for the .40 and other calibers. Then they standardized on the two pin frames up through Gen4 and I suspect the 9mms were as close to bomb proof as possible with two pin frames. The single pin frame seems to be a step backward in my estimation.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I've read on another forum that there has been problmes after 15'000 rounds and glock had fixed the problems but there is no description of the problems.

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

I’m not trying to flame your buddy but I wonder if he’s ever cleaned the copper fouling out of his barrel ? I have a friend who travels around the country competing in 3Gun and she thinks that cleaning a pistol barrel is a few patches pushed through it .

He’s literally one of the top 15 shooters in his chosen division, per the last nationals... I’m assuming he know how to clean a gun. But I can’t verify. I do know that he is a good enough shooter that if he says his groups are widening out, then his groups are widening out. But I honestly cannot answer to his barrel cleaning regimen.