SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A little Glock generation discussion- What is your preferred generation?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little Glock generation discussion- What is your preferred generation? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by GJM AK:
I haven’t read every post in this thread, but have we learned of the Gen 5 issues yet, that supposedly have emerged in fed testing?
No, we haven't. We've been tap dancing and being quite vague and that's about it, and it is counterproductive. All that's happened is that in the other thread, I see a member who appears to be upset that that the USSS will be moving from SIG pistols, to Glock pistols (based solely on price, you see), and I imagine what we'll hear about these mysterious issues from this point is nothing, unless there is an actual recall implemented, which, by the way, was vaguely alluded to over two months ago.

And if you object to the way this information is being slowly doled out, you're just a Glock fanboy.

I have been watching all of this and I have waited for this so-called revelation to appear, but all that's happened is we have this new thread with further vague allusions that have accomplished nothing but create doubt and confusion for Glock gen5 owners. This is not the way to go about sharing information in this forum. I don't like it one bit.

And as we all know, recalls are death knells for pistols, such as the P320, which simply disappeared entirely as a result of its recall, right? Right. Oh, wait- SIG addressed those issues. That's odd. Recalls are supposed to be the end, or so I understand. Or, does that apply only to Glocks?

So, what we have now is a vague suggestion that gen5 Glocks reach the end of their service life at 10,000 rounds and lose accuracy on the way to that number. We don't know this, but someone has dropped a strong hint, and a strong hint is like money in the bank, isn't it?

This appears to be sour grapes to me, either with our source in this forum, or with his source upstream. Someone, somewhere, doesn't like SIGs being replaced with Glocks, and I suspect that's all this is, but here's a glorious opportunity to put me in my place by proving me wrong. After all, I'm just a little guy in the dark. What do I know? Hell, I buy my own ammunition, commoner that I am.

One would think that CBP and USSS simply went into their local gun store and finger banged a couple of gen5 Glocks and made their decisions on that basis alone. Oh, and the price, let's not forget the price.

As I said, I've been watching this and I've been patient with it, but when we start branching out from the original thread and start a new thread, again with no actual data, enough is enough.

Gee, I can't imagine why someone would be hesitant to release information and wait for other open source information to appear. If you wanted to know about the issues, you had all the chance in the world to ask about them in the other thread, instead of picking this thread to take cheap shots at me. There has been zero "tap dancing". I mentioned it in one thread as the issues came to light as a result of that testing. And I waited for other open source info to come out.

This thread had zero to do with anything other than I spent a lot of years thinking people who grounded off finger grooves were fools. Now, I find myself thinking about sending a Gen4 gun off to have the finger groves removed because I have grown fond of it with the Gen5.

Believe what you wish, but your "finger banging in a gunshop" comment isn't far off when it comes to agencies selecting guns.

The issues are a change in the polymer and how the gun distributes heat. This distribution of heat causes the locking block to shift if the guns are shot hard. Causing accuracy issues. There are other open source threads on other forums about it. Another agency is currently testing the 19 and they have two guns that have been shot hard and are currently grouping at about 8 inches at 25 yards. The approximate round count was 11,000 to 12,000 rounds. (round count on the two guns weren't equal and were placed on the guns in about 2 weeks by the FTU)

Glock supposedly corrected this in their "upgrade" in August, directly as a result from the USSS testing with a reformulation of polymer. In the USSS trials, Glock immediately replaced the guns, no questions asked.

Here's a thread from PF that deals with the heat difference.
https://pistol-forum.com/showt...n5-Glock-heat-issues
There are several other threads on other boards if you are interested. I found that one to have some good, relevant information out of what I have found.

I learned long ago not to argue with you, but this crap is just that, crap. You have both my email, and phone number. You could have contacted me on either, instead of something like this if you were concerned about how the information was proctored.

The only action I'm taking is the plan to replace my primary 19 next year, and then see if the changes that were implemented fixes the problems. If not, I'll rotate them out yearly. Problem solved, no drama. Any other evidence I present simply will be discounted as they have been in this thread.

I really wish you'd have contacted me if you had concerns instead of doing it this way.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've had my say and you've had yours. You don't like the way I went about this? Well, I don't like the way you went about it. All of a sudden, you're a font of actual information, instead if innuendo causing confusion among members of this forum. Now, why is that? Why didn't you just say what you had to say, without the games? Was that so hard to do?

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I carry a Gen 4 19 and not my Gen 2 19 because it can be easily replaced if need be and the Gen 2 cannot. Same reason I don't carry my Gen 1 17. But while I can deal with the finger grooves now, I really do prefer not having them. All the other changes in generation aside, the Glocks I've bought and let go had finger bumps, including a G22 RTF2 I was going to turn into a 17 and a Vickers RTF2 19. The ones that stayed (besides my Gen 4 carry piece) were the ones that didn't have finger bumps. Hadn't realized that fact until just now. Haven't bought a Gen 5 yet, but I really want a Glock 45, and maybe one of the newer Gen 5's without the half moon cutout on the front strap.

If only the earliest Glocks had more aggressive grip frame textures. Between that and the Tennifer and slide finishes, they would have been about perfect.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have thought about sanding my Gen 3 glocks finger grooves and texturing smooth and just wrapping them with skateboard tape. Guess I could practice on a 80% frame.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Glock supposedly corrected this in their "upgrade" in August, directly as a result from the USSS testing with a reformulation of polymer. In the USSS trials, Glock immediately replaced the guns, no questions asked.

Is this applicable only to certain Gen 5 pistols, then, or does it apply to all prior Glocks?

Does this mean that Gen 5 pistols shipped up to August have the same issue, or is it relegated specifically to the USSS pistols?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am active on PF, and have posted in the thread on Gen 5 pistols appearing to get hotter. I don’t recall anything in that thread suggesting accuracy problems, and most of us have found Gen 5 pistols to be more, not less accurate. My recollection is that the heat was thought to be a by product of the different slide finish on G5 pistols. Can you point me to discussion of a difference in the polymer and reported accuracy issues? Thanks.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think he's alluding to a discussion, but insider information on agency testing of firearms.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Have yet to give Gen 5 a try, my experience is solely between gen 3 and gen 4.
Primarily with the large frame Glocks.

Love the gen 3 G20 and G21, it works for me and is just about at the larger size limit that is comfortable for me.

This is an SF RTF2 gen3 frame, the standard size, non rtf is just outside the max size for my hand. For reference, I wear a size large-x-large glove.

I bought a G41 due to the thinner slide profile, I love the way it handles and points... that’s about it. Grip materieL is either thinner or different polymer as I find it kind of “squishy” not as rigid as my gen3 and the trigger action is abhorrent.
Polished stuff up and still it wasn’t where my gen 3’s useful trigger.

Frankly, I was about to abandon the G41 when I got a zev trigger group on sale, it is now acceptable to me and is a keeper, though I like to shoot it with a light to provide more weight up front.

My G17 gen 3 has always been fantastic, it’s a LAV model and I enjoy it immensely.

I have handled gen5, but have no practical experience with this generation.
While I wouldn’t replace my current G17, I would like to get one of the new single stack Glocks.

So far, I like what I have handled at the counters.. G43X and G48 and would like buy if an all black one comes in.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've had my say and you've had yours. You don't like the way I went about this? Well, I don't like the way you went about it. All of a sudden, you're a font of actual information, instead if innuendo causing confusion among members of this forum. Now, why is that? Why didn't you just say what you had to say, without the games? Was that so hard to do?

Why would you want to? I simply said there are some issues, and those issues will surely be open sourced. Nothing ever escapes the internet. There was nothing mystical or magical. Heat and round count.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You had said just enough in the other thread to sow confusion, and you did it in a vague and smirking I-know-something-you-don't way, and then you said nothing more. There are lots of gen5 owners here, but you didn't take that into consideration, and you left them hanging. You suggested that you had information, and then you did not provide that information.

But, let your feelings get hurt because I didn't contact you personally, but instead posted pubicly my displeasure with this, and then suddenly, here comes the information.

Now, is it really necessary for me to go back to that thread, pull your own words out of it and post them here for you?

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have explained why I handled it this way.

As you said, I said my piece, and you said yours.

www.opspectraining.com

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
There has been zero "tap dancing"

:roll eyes:

Actually, you've put Gregory Hinds to shame the with your vague tap-dance routine on this topic.

I've got several Gen5s and I have found your vague comments to be pretty annoying to put it lightly. Many people on here use this forum as their primary source of info. Not everyone has the whole day to surf around every internet forum looking for tidbits of info on a given topic. When a person represents themselves as a SME, frankly we expect better.

It would be nice to know what models are affected and perhaps SN ranges and models. Though, I won't hold my breath.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 5 Glocks are the best 9mm Glocks.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I have to either dump my gen 5 Glocks or shoot my usual 300 or 400 rounds per session and wait a few minutes for them to cool off, before I throw them back into my range bag. Which incidentally, I do with all my other pistols. They all get really hot after 400 rounds fired in an hour.
I must be missing something here.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, the locking blocks of two pistols loosened up after having the ever-loving shit shot out of them in, I guess, tandem shooting relays, so now, they're all shit, so, yeah.

Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I really liked the first Gen 3 pistols with the "Frying Pan" finish. Simplicity at it's finest.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Since I've only dealt with Gen 4 and Gen 5 I'd have to go with Gen 5, the trigger and grip are an improvement in ergonomics for me, Traded a G34 gen 4 for the Gen 5 and out of the box the Gen 5 was better in every aspect.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's funny how we're not hearing about these gen5 issues from competition shooters, who shoot their pistols far more than the average shooter.

It just does not compute.

posted Hide Post
Is the federal testing being alluded to, the Customs and Border Patrol testing that resulted in the selection of the Glock for their use, or some other testing? Did the USSS do their own testing, or did they piggy back on the CBP testing?

Did CBP specify any changes to the polymer composition, the DLC slide finish, or the locking block of the Glock pistols they selected?

Is there a suggestion that Glock changed polymer, finish or locking block in commercial G5 pistols?

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GJM AK:
Did CBP specify any changes to the polymer composition, the DLC slide finish, or the locking block of the Glock pistols they selected?

Is there a suggestion that Glock changed polymer, finish or locking block in commercial G5 pistols?
Here, filed under "supposedly":
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
So, the frame of almost all currently owned gen 5 pistols are shit- "supposedly"

"supposedly"- maybe yes, maybe no. Nothing vague in that. Ain't that grand? gen5 owners- you pick up your pistol now, what do you think about it? Feel like something's wrong, like the frame is made out of Goddamned gummi bears? And who could blame you? Ain't this just fucking great?