SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Replace Walther PPS M1 with Sig P290?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replace Walther PPS M1 with Sig P290? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I need a small pistol for jogging, cycling, etc. I'd like to get an all Sig armory. Is the P290 functionally equivalent to the Walther PPS M1?

Or, would I be giving up a lot, selling the Walther with its Trijicon HD Night Sights, and replacing it with the P290.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
This is a matter of opinion, but after owning many subcompacts (single and double stack), I think that the PPS M1 is the best concealed carry pistol, at least for me. I shoot it well, conceal it well, and it feels just right in my XXL hands. It is also the softest shooting carry gun that I've used, and after a long search for the perfect carry gun, I've settled on the Walther.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The 290 was one of the least liked guns I ever owned. Trigger was unpredictable and felt smoother in dry fire than live fire. The PPS M1 is head and shoulders better in my opinion. If you want small and all Sig get a 938. Personally I run with an LCP. Anything bigger is too heavy and uncomfortable.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP, that sounds like a terrible idea. The 290 isn't on the same planet as a PPS M1, or M2. If you really want a super light jogging pistol, have you looked at a Ruger LCR or LCP? I can't think of too many as light or lighter at the moment.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. I'll just keep what I have.

-------

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How would you rate the PPS M1 vs. M2?

Posts: 139 | Registered: May 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I've owned them both. The P290 is waaaay top heavy. Gritty trigger. Meh magazines. I greatly prefer the Classic PPS in 9MM to the P290, in literally every way.

Had the G43 been out when I bought the PPS, I might have gone that way (esp now since I carry G19 most of the time), but my PPS works great and I like the OEM 6/7/8 rd magazines, I have all the holsters / etc for it, and it's a proven pistol for me. So its my thin 9MM carry (when needed, which admittedly isn't very often for me).

If I need a tiny pistol for carry, I just stick my LCP in my pocket, but acknowledge it's limitations (trigger / sights). For me it's a 7yd and in pistol and even then I don't like it, but sometimes tradeoffs have to be made.

And for something like jogging, etc a S&W J-frame is hard to beat as well.

No need to go (arbitrarily) to an "all <insert brand> armory. Pick what works, not what sounds good or feels good on paper.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wojownik:
How would you rate the PPS M1 vs. M2?

It's a tough choice for me. I have owned them both. I like the M1 for its paddle mag release and the M2 for the lack of back strap safety thingy. If I had to choose right now I would go M1 because I haven't actually heard of anyone having issues with the removable back strap.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for clarifying that the P290 is not as desirable as the Walther PPS M1. I am not attempting to identify other substitutes for the Walther.

(I won't own another Glock, or a Ruger LCP. Or a J-frame. Tried them all. Not for me.)

-------

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
This is a matter of opinion, but after owning many subcompacts (single and double stack), I think that the PPS M1 is the best concealed carry pistol, at least for me. I shoot it well, conceal it well, and it feels just right in my XXL hands. It is also the softest shooting carry gun that I've used, and after a long search for the perfect carry gun, I've settled on the Walther.

^^^^^^
What he said twice ---- 40/9mm. ---with SML hands.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had a 290 and never will. I do have 10+ other Sigs, But none that I carry. I also have a pps m1 9mm that I sometimes carry. Great gun. Amazingly accurate for a short barrel. But my most carried gun is also my cheapest. The LCP Custom goes anywhere anytime. I can carry while running in a body band or tacti-PAC holster. It swings around too much in my pocket.

Posts: 54 | Location: Myrtle beac SC | Registered: March 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
LC9 is lighter and thinner than both. Fits between the two in height and width. It's my pocket and cycling carry.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every PPS-M1 that I tried had a poor trigger. The PPS-M2 is entirely different in that regard. M2 is quite an improvement in other more apparent ways. I use PPS-M2 to shoot up rounds that do not quite fit gauge and the odd rounds that tend to accumulate. Eats everything!
However, it has a short barrel and 10 yards is about its limit.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Every PPS-M1 that I tried had a poor trigger. The PPS-M2 is entirely different in that regard. M2 is quite an improvement in other more apparent ways. I use PPS-M2 to shoot up rounds that do not quite fit gauge and the odd rounds that tend to accumulate. Eats everything!
However, it has a short barrel and 10 yards is about its limit.
10 yard is about its limit or yours?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I need a small pistol for jogging, cycling, etc. I'd like to get an all Sig armory. Is the P290 functionally equivalent to the Walther PPS M1?

Or, would I be giving up a lot, selling the Walther with its Trijicon HD Night Sights, and replacing it with the P290.

They're both semi-autos. That's where the similarities ends, IMHO. Freaking long trigger action on the hammer 290/290RS; tough for me to shoot follow-ups fast and with effective accuracy. YMMV but as grungy as I found the PPS Classic trigger to be I can at least put rounds quickly within center of mass at defensive distances.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Answer: Mostly the pistol's limit. From a rest, spread becomes noticeable at around 10 yards.

To extend the discussion, I find the G42 to be ideal pocket pistol with LC9s Pro a close second. If I finally manage to tame the trigger on G43, it might be on the list also.

Belt carry for protection: PPS-M2 is ideal

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Pistols like these have plenty of inherent accuracy, but the relatively short sight radius makes it more difficult to shoot them well at longer distances. My PPS M2 has an outstanding trigger and is capable of hitting mansized targets in excess if the shooter does his part.

Like the J-framed S&W, the PPS M2 can be pocket carried, but I think it's far better suited for IWB or OWB. In my case, I'll only carry .380s such as my Ruger LCP or Seecamp LWW in a suitable pocket holster.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
<snip>
I think that the PPS M1 is the best concealed carry pistol ... for me ... I shoot it well, conceal it well ... and after a long search for the perfect carry gun, I've settled on the Walther.

+1 with Maestro ... my PPS in an IWB ETW leather holster; slim pistol, slim holster.

Each to their own.
Good advice here.

Is there a range nearby where you can rent both and feel if the trigger and position is right for you?

Carry what you're feeling very comfortable with, concealed, range, what ever the demand, regardless of the brand.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am surprised and heartened by all of the positive reviews of the PPS M1. Since I own this already, I will keep it for the occasional jog, bike, motorcycle trip where size truly matters rather than replace it with a Sig product.

-------

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For me, the remarkable thing about the original PPS is how it feels like a much larger pistol in my hand.

Lots of smaller guns have grips that leave you hanging, especially once you start shooting it - but with the 7-rd magazine in my PPS, a full, locked in grip is easy to get and keep. Until then the PPS will do just fine.

I don't carry my PPS often (G19 usually), but ever since coming off surgery, it has been my carry - well, when I was finally able to tolerate something on my belt.

I hope to be back with the G19 soon but with summer coming it might take me a bit longer to get back & comfortable carrying it in shorts & flip-flops.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post