SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New bedside gun.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New bedside gun. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
Well, as appealing as the Sig p226 SAO feels, I have decided on the rational decesion.

Probably going to get a gen 5 G17 or maybe a 19x. Nights sights, weapon light and done. I shoot mainly a walther PPS and G19 as it is and there is no reason to mix in other non familiar manual of arms at this point etc.

Sounds like a well thought out choice. Keep us posted!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All good choices but I went with the USP because it's what I actually have for that purpose (USP45 FS with match trigger kit installed and TLR3 light).

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
quote:
Yeah

6)...and the VP9 feels great in hand

To me, that's the first thing I look for in a self defense gun. Yeah, caliber, capacity, etc. are important too, but it's gotta feel "right" in the hand.

I have a VP9 and I love it. Too large for carry (for me) but a great shooter!

If you have the opportunity to rent one, do so. That's how I ended up owning one.
I had gone to my LGS range looking to rent a P320 to shoot before purchasing it. It wasn't available, and the RO suggested the VP9. After shooting one mag, I was sold!

The late Todd Louis Green said it better than I can - Feelings or in this case “feel” lies.

Feelings Lie

None of the guns the OP listed are inherently bad choices but some may be a bad choice for him.

There is nothing wrong with SAO guns or thumb safeties but if you carry a striker gun, and you want a different gun for bedside duty you want a gun they works the same way as your carry gun.

Learning to work a thumb safety consistently is only a matter of training but most of us do not train near enough on one system much less multiple systems.

Waking up and needing a gun is a bad time to begin with. You will be using most of your mental “bandwidth” figuring out what is going on and dealing with it. You don’t need to add figuring out which type gun you have and how to work it.

If you simply have the “wantsies” for a P226 SAO that’s fine, but be honest about what it is.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:

Pretty sure my choices are borrow down to:
G17...... buy it this weekend
Then
P226 legion SAO RX..... on layaway for next month.

Big Grin

That is kind of support that I have grown to expect from this forum. Well done!

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G35 with LW 40-9 conversion barrel and TLR-3 weapons light and Federal 9BPLE +P+. Hit it hard and make it hurt.

Posts: 91 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted HK VP9

I have a G19 but not an X. and I like my VP9 better.

Posts: 20 | Location: Texas Gulf Coast | Registered: September 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Glock 19X with a TLR1 HL took over nightstand duty from my HK USP .40. The HK previously had a successful 15 year run in this role.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the guns would do the job. If you're used to striker fired weapons I'd go that route. Most of my guns are SAO, but I have a model 19 in my nightstand and a 100 lb Rottweiler/Doberman. BUT, personally I'd go with a DA/SA over a SAO and safety to deal with if it's not my normal manner of arms.....heavy first trigger pull, SA subsequent trigger pulls, no safeties to find or deal with.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
Reporting back with results:

Very happy.
1) gen 5 trigger is so good
2) love the handling feel of the x sized gun
3) considering you get night sights extended mags and an upgraded finish for like $40 more than a stock 17 I think the 19x is a great deal.
4) shoots great

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keeping it plain and simple, Glock 17.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

I haven't handled a 19X yet. Not much guessing as to what would happen after that.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
I am with para,and arc.The one polymer 9mm i can shoot pretty good is a g17 longslide.With a streamlight laser/light combo.I have some glock 33 round and 17 round mags ready ,if i have to use it.
I also have a mossy with 8 round extension on the rack in my closet.

I also bought the ruger pcr 9mm,that holds glock mags.Thats on the rifle rack in my closet also.I am like the previous poster,if i am alerted and get a few seconds to react,my daughter has been told what to do.
Also,my phone,with then 911 speed dial set,is on my nightstand also.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
I liked the vp9,and recoil was like my glock17l.But on the many vp9 guns i have handled,the nslide release is to small or my thumb strength is to weak,as i can drop the slide unless i pull it back for enough to push the slide lever down.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
6) have a love affair with HK but currently down own any and the VP9 feels great in hand

Have you thought of finding a P7 PSP? I think it’s a great bedside with the squeeze cock and the excellent trigger.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
The pistol - probably the G17; the G19 and the USP would work just as well; the SAOs are probably not as appropriate, in that a lighter trigger is not helpful in a self-defense situation.

Also, as others have mentioned: an extra magazine; a powerful flashlight, and your cellphone. Also earplugs - firing a handgun inside an enclosed space could result in permanent hearing loss.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping the earplugs part is a joke. Nobody is going to wear earplugs searching their house at 0200 for whatever noise woke them up. If you have to shoot in self defense you probably wont hear the shots anyway.

I like the cellphone though. We have text 911 in our county, all should check if its in your areas too. A simple 911 text that says "intruder in my house- 123 American St, I'm armed" and then toss the cell under the covers if your worried about the light etc. Gives the cops a lot of info, may save you in your house, may save you in court too. Just my $.02

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I was really exited to hear about the P226 SAO Legion. Watched a bunch of video and read anything I could find. I was sure it was the next purchase...until I handled it during a Sig Demo session at a local gun range. It was meh...I was totally underwhelmed by its normal accuracy. It didn’t do anything my CZ Custom Shadow Target that had a SAO set up didn’t do.

My bedside gun is a PPQ M2 5” with a Streamlight TLR1s. I also have a Surefire P2X sitting next time it.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post